Struggling CBS O&Os

ProduceGuy

But when you're competing against the 1,000-ton juggernaut WSVN 7 + only have a 10:00pm newscast on WCIX prior to 1989 and adding newscasts in different timeslots, in other words not really competing against everybody else until 1989 and WTVJ being so dominant at the time = lackluster ratings for WCIX, now WFOR.

Forget trying to improve CBS 4. They're dead.

Must you be so over the top? 1,000-ton juggernaut, 5,000-pound gorillas on WRAL thread; CBS 4 being dead and no chance to EVER improve. This is what I mean by coming off as a know it all. Please don't tell me you feel passionate about this issue too. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to give some constructive criticism (as someone whose received it before).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, WFOR does need some work. They weren't too bad up until Shannon, Antonio, and Dave left. They were also better when they had their own look and Moving Forward. I think they would benefit if they were not owned by CBS. CBS is not a bad company by any means, but their approach simply doesn't work in Miami.

Must you be so over the top? 1,000-ton juggernaut, 5,000-pound gorillas on WRAL thread; CBS 4 being dead and no chance to EVER improve. This is what I mean by coming off as a know it all. Please don't tell me you feel passionate about this issue too. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to give some constructive criticism (as someone whose received it before).

No. I wasn't trying to this time. I swear. It's just true since WFOR is last in the ratings in South Florida and has been for the last 25+ years. This market has always been WTVJ vs. WSVN vs. WPLG, but now I feel like its just WSVN at the top with a battle between WTVJ and WPLG for second at least.

1. WFOR is not technically dead til the place is boarded up.
  2. CBS Local is, at the absolute best, a lateral move from Enforcer, and at worst, a major step down.

WFOR is good the way they are. the only other change i could see is using WCCO's version of the enforcer.

CBS is not a bad company by any means, but their approach simply doesn't work in Miami.

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah the CBS3 thread in the Philly board. Their approach doesn't work in any market with the exception of maybe New York where WCBS seems to be doing ok.

Archived