Struggling CBS O&Os

ProduceGuy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KPIX has been having identity and issues with ratings since Dana King left.

Side Note: KFMB's radio stations JACK FM and 760 KFMB started a joint radio operation with another company in SD that operates 3 other stations. Also KFMB's CBS affiliation is supposed to end soon and rumors of CBS Radio may sell. I wonder if CBS will buy KFMB? It will be a mess since CBS owns 2 San Diego radio stations (KyXy and ENERGY)

Side Note: KFMB's radio stations JACK FM and 760 KFMB started a joint radio operation with another company in SD that operates 3 other stations. Also KFMB's CBS affiliation is supposed to end soon and rumors of CBS Radio may sell. I wonder if CBS will buy KFMB? It will be a mess since CBS owns 2 San Diego radio stations (KyXy and ENERGY)

That is interesting. I'll post a new thread on it, since it's pretty big news.

Oh, that just sounds like Rich Lieberman talk to me. Veronica De La Cruz, in hindsight, probably wasn't the best hire, but I think Elizabeth Cook is doing a fine job. It's a shame Dana King left, sure, but it's not like she was ever seriously going to come back. I don't know what the ratings are, but I think there's a lot more freshness inside KPIX than there is at, say, KNTV. But maybe that's just me reflecting my own viewing habits.

I think KCNC in Denver is doing a pretty good job too, and at last check, they were shockingly a close second to KUSA in morning ratings. After being in a slump for some time, it seems like they've gone back into the hard news and weather focus similar to what they were doing about a decade ago. Several of their reporters have recently gone on to bigger gigs in bigger markets.

if their the most watched how come KOVR says they are in their opens?

"Most watched late news" is what it says. It only refers to the 10pm show. It's hilarious because they compare their 10pm news ratings with an hour's head start to KCRA's and KXTV's later 11pm shows. It's a stretch.

"Most watched late news" is what it says. It only refers to the 10pm show. It's hilarious because they compare their 10pm news ratings with an hour's head start to KCRA's and KXTV's later 11pm shows. It's a stretch.
I completely forgot KOVR does early prime. How does their newscast on KMAX @ 11 PM do?

I completely forgot KOVR does early prime. How does their newscast on KMAX @ 11 PM do?

Its the same as KOVR only 30 Min. they use 1 news reporter and 1 Weather Reporter. its not really watched as much because of KCRA.

Speaking of 10pm news, how's the competition between KCRA 3 on KQCA 58, KOVR 13 and KTXL 40?

KCRA is apparently still getting viewers somewhat on KQCA, but on weekends KOVR seems to be getting the most viewers. KTXL and KXTV i'm not sure.

Yeah... WFOR 4 has been dead last, regardless of language in South Florida, for years! WSVN 7 is #1 in English, WSCV 51 is #1 in Spanish and WSCV 51 is #1, regardless of language.

Even the other Spanish stations, WGEN 8 and WJAN 41/WFUN 48, beat WFOR 4 during local news. That's how bad WFOR 4's news operation is.

Sounds to me like they should redirect those resources into Detroit. They would do better than seventh!

Guest NewsHound

The only realistic option for CBS in Detroit is to sell off WWJ and possibly WKBD in the FCC spectrum auction, opening up the affiliations to either 2, 4, or 7 to run on subchannels. Digital television is a hell of a thing.

The only realistic option for CBS in Detroit is to sell off WWJ and possibly WKBD in the FCC spectrum auction, opening up the affiliations to either 2, 4, or 7 to run on subchannels. Digital television is a hell of a thing.

In a top-20 market, that is highly unlikely to happen. Also for CBS to sell off WWJ/WKBD is unlikely only because they would get very little back (money or asset wise) in selling dog stations.

Sounds to me like they should redirect those resources into Detroit. They would do better than seventh!

For what? To establish a news department that absolutely no one will watch, and so WWJ/WKBD can hemorrhage money like a sieve? Please.

WFOR is in a total ratings crisis in a bilingual market. Seems to me like more resources, and competent hires, should be the course of action, no? Because if I'm not mistaken, WTVJ was in an identical - or worse - mess pre-Comcast...

WWJ and WKBD as-is make a profit for CBS and attain modest ratings. And as I said earlier in the thread, who in their right mind would buy either or both stations?

For what? To establish a news department that absolutely no one will watch, and so WWJ/WKBD can hemorrhage money like a sieve? Please.

WFOR is in a total ratings crisis in a bilingual market. Seems to me like more resources, and competent hires, should be the course of action, no? Because if I'm not mistaken, WTVJ was in an identical - or worse - mess pre-Comcast...

WWJ and WKBD as-is make a profit for CBS and attain modest ratings. And as I said earlier in the thread, who in their right mind would buy either or both stations?

WFOR has twice the number of competitors than WWJ/WKBD would have. Furthermore, Detroit's market size is understated because all the homes in Canada aren't counted. Finally, local personalities give a station an identity. Otherwise, it's just a video jukebox.

WWJ could come in with a sensational format and create a niche. And we all know there is no lack of sensational news in Detroit.

Actually it isn't as sensational as you think...

WWJ and WKBD make lots of money as is and WWJ is third in sign-on to sign-off behind WDIV and WXYZ... It's primetime is doing very well and is usually competitive with WXYZ which usually wins primetime...

Actually it isn't as sensational as you think...

WWJ and WKBD make lots of money as is and WWJ is third in sign-on to sign-off behind WDIV and WXYZ... It's primetime is doing very well and is usually competitive with WXYZ which usually wins primetime...

Third is not first and its especially not a dominant first like CBS in some other markets, nevermind profit.

News is (or at least used to be) prime real estate for selling ad time, not to mention you can recycle the same stuff to fill eight hours of programming. I doubt Family Feud commands premium ad dollars.

I woul go out and hire a bunch of has beens with a great theatrical presence ... Just anything different and watch and see what happens.

Third is not first and its especially not a dominant first like CBS in some other markets, nevermind profit.

News is (or at least used to be) prime real estate for selling ad time, not to mention you can recycle the same stuff to fill eight hours of programming. I doubt Family Feud commands premium ad dollars.

I woul go out and hire a bunch of has beens with a great theatrical presence ... Just anything different and watch and see what happens.

WJBK is cleaning up the 18-49's and 25-54's in news... WDIV is right there with them and WXYZ is barely there (all the demos they enjoyed for decades simply aged out). I don't think WWJ could pull much off of the three existing stations to make it worth diminishing their profit on an essentially robot station...

WFOR has twice the number of competitors than WWJ/WKBD would have. Furthermore, Detroit's market size is understated because all the homes in Canada aren't counted. Finally, local personalities give a station an identity. Otherwise, it's just a video jukebox.

WWJ could come in with a sensational format and create a niche. And we all know there is no lack of sensational news in Detroit.

I agree with you, and WWJ can take a page out of FOX 46 in Charlotte, yes the station is struggling in a (5) market shop. However, when they started they didn't want a traditional newscast. They wanted something different and edgy, and now they have a traditional and something different. WWJ could do the same thing. There a huge talent pool in Detroit that CBS can grab up. Lila Lazarus & Emery King would be great as the main anchor team. Yes, they cost money, but if there willing to take a pay-cut & not be paid an extreme amount of $$$. Of course younger/cheaper is the model for all tv stations.

Yes, 62/CBS primetime ratings do well for the station and sometimes third place, but with CBS having a more stronger prime-time showing they could capture that into 11pm news. Yes, it doesn't happen overnight, but WOIO has been successful in 11pm news as well WDJT for their 10pm. Even the lackluster WGCL was able to move #2 knock 11Alive into 3rd place at 11pm several times.

You can't say it won't work unless you try. And even though they did around 2000/2001 and killed the 11pm news. They didn't give them much of a chance to try. I say try again.

Why should WWJ try (and fail) at a newscast when they're making money being a pass-through for CBS and syndie programs? Viewer loyalties in Detroit are deep with WJBK, WDIV, and WXYZ and WWJ will have no traction against those loyalties.

Why should WWJ try (and fail) at a newscast when they're making money being a pass-through for CBS and syndie programs? Viewer loyalties in Detroit are deep with WJBK, WDIV, and WXYZ and WWJ will have no traction against those loyalties.

Exactly... It may have worked in 1985 to try but here in 2015 when the medium is fading slowly it's not a great investment.

• 4 months later...
I'd like to get back to discussing WFOR. If I could decide on how to improve CBS 4, I'd change the news theme. I've had it up to here with Enforcer. Why not SAM's CBS Local theme.

Ugh. No. I'd want to hear Moving Forward back. CBS Local is such a cheaply produced package.

I'd like to get back to discussing WFOR. If I could decide on how to improve CBS 4, I'd change the news theme. I've had it up to here with Enforcer. Why not SAM's CBS Local theme.

But when you're competing against the 1,000-ton juggernaut WSVN 7 + only have a 10:00pm newscast on WCIX prior to 1989 and adding newscasts in different timeslots, in other words not really competing against everybody else until 1989 and WTVJ being so dominant at the time = lackluster ratings for WCIX, now WFOR.

Forget trying to improve CBS 4. They're dead.

Archived