Struggling CBS O&Os

ProduceGuy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would only say a handful of them truly struggle.

WCCO, WJZ, KDKA, KCNC, KOVR, KPIX and KTVT are first or close to it in every book (definitely 'CCO and KD, while 'JZ, 'CNC, KOVR, PIX and KTVT are in very competitive markets). WCBS and KCBS aren't first in their markets, but are competitive.

The only stations that truly struggle are WBZ, WFOR (which is last among English-language stations behind WSVN, WPLG and WTVJ and probably behind all stations regardless of language), WBBM, and KYW (although part of that is viewer habits given so many people in Philly are used to watching Jim Gardner and co. on 6.)

None of those stations is a runaway #1 like WABC and PVI are for ABC, but a lot of them could be doing a lot worse. They're in an OK spot as a whole.

I would only say a handful of them truly struggle.

WCCO, WJZ, KDKA, KCNC, KOVR, KPIX and KTVT are first or close to it in every book (definitely 'CCO and KD, while 'JZ, 'CNC, KOVR, PIX and KTVT are in very competitive markets). WCBS and KCBS aren't first in their markets, but are competitive.

The only stations that truly struggle are WFOR (which is last among English-language stations behind WSVN, WPLG and WTVJ and probably behind all stations regardless of language), WBBM, and KYW (although part of that is viewer habits given so many people in Philly are used to watching Jim Gardner and co. on 6.)

None of those stations is a runaway #1 like WABC and PVI are for ABC, but a lot of them could be doing a lot worse. They're in an OK spot as a whole.

You forgot WBZ is struggling big time too. I think Fox 25 has been beating them in most time slots since they got taken over by Cox.

Yeah... WFOR 4 has been dead last, regardless of language in South Florida, for years! WSVN 7 is #1 in English, WSCV 51 is #1 in Spanish and WSCV 51 is #1, regardless of language.

Even the other Spanish stations, WGEN 8 and WJAN 41/WFUN 48, beat WFOR 4 during local news. That's how bad WFOR 4's news operation is.

Speaking of WFOR, TVSpy is now reporting that Cynthia Demos is leaving soon. So many changes at that station lately!

Ikr? That's why that station is so unwatchable. An exodus of talent leaving and worse yet, decisions to replace anchors to make the corporate happy, not the viewers.

An exception to Rudabeh... she's a hottie, IMO. I'd watch her.

Contrary to popular believe, people almost never watch the news for the music. WBBM's problems are certainly nothing new. Their ratings woes go back nearly 30 years, and I can only think of 3 occasions during that time that they've moved into 2nd, and they weren't using Enforcer during any of those times.

Contrary to popular believe, people almost never watch the news for the music. WBBM's problems are certainly nothing new. Their ratings woes go back nearly 30 years, and I can only think of 3 occasions during that time that they've moved into 2nd.

I meant that their quality of news should be better partly because of it creating the "I Love Chicago" Enforcer signature.

The big problem is, it seems like CBS has a one size fit all when dealing with operating the news. Most of the stations have the same blue print with some exceptions and that's why WFOR and WBZ are struggling too. They need something that can set them apart in the community. Like WFOR for example, since they have a large Hispanic/Cuban population, have they ever thought of doing a strictly Spanish language newscast in a time-slot like at 5:30 (bringing in viewers for the 6) or 7 p.m. And stop trying to hire young personalities from across the country for top positions. There is a need to have at least one seasoned anchor. Also this was a great opportunity to bring back Maggie Rodriguez. They need someone of her stature who is known in the area to bring in some viewers. I don't know what WBZ needs (not too familiar with the state of there news other than knowing they are in last place all the time). I like some personalities from the stations so I can't say it's that but they need something to bring people in.

**This just came to mind, these two stations had an affiliation switch in the mid 90's, maybe that had something to do with why they could never maintain a steady audience.

The big problem is, it seems like CBS has a one size fit all when dealing with operating the news. Most of the stations have the same blue print with some exceptions and that's why WFOR and WBZ are struggling too. They need something that can set them apart in the community. Like WFOR for example, since they have a large Hispanic/Cuban population, have they ever thought of doing a strictly Spanish language newscast in a time-slot like at 5:30 (bringing in viewers for the 6) or 7 p.m. And stop trying to hire young personalities from across the country for top positions. There is a need to have at least one seasoned anchor. Also this was a great opportunity to bring back Maggie Rodriguez. They need someone of her stature who is known in the area to bring in some viewers. I don't know what WBZ needs (not too familiar with the state of there news other than knowing they are in last place all the time). I like some personalities from the stations so I can't say it's that but they need something to bring people in.

**This just came to mind, these two stations had an affiliation switch in the mid 90's, maybe that had something to do with why they could never maintain a steady audience.

Actually in WFOR's case, a channel switch from 4 to 6, a month before I was born in September of 1995.

And I think the more ridiculous thing is how WBBM is in 4th. For God's sakes, WBBM created the "I Love Chicago" Enforcer signature, they should be doing better!

WBBM has struggled ever since they showed Bill Applegate the door in the early 90s.

And as bad as WBBM is... they aren't WFLD.

I still think CBS should really pay attention to WBBM, who, as much as they love Chicago, Chicago their home, (because they created the CBS enforcer theme), their newscasts are only marginally better than Fox 32's

"I love Chicago, Chicago my home" was a folk song that CBS loosely adapted into the "Channel 2 News theme" back in the early 70s.

And Gari created the CBS Enforcer music package.

WFOR actually assumed the license and transmitter facilities of WTVJ, when it swapped dial positions with the NBC O&O (changing its call letters from WCIX) as compensation for CBS selling WCAU to NBC.

At the time, it was a lopsided deal in CBS' favor, as the channel 6 facilities were technically inferior during the analog era. That went away with the DTV switch, as both WFOR and WTVJ are back on the same transmitter tower now.

The big problem is, it seems like CBS has a one size fit all when dealing with operating the news. Most of the stations have the same blue print with some exceptions and that's why WFOR and WBZ are struggling too. They need something that can set them apart in the community. Like WFOR for example, since they have a large Hispanic/Cuban population, have they ever thought of doing a strictly Spanish language newscast in a time-slot like at 5:30 (bringing in viewers for the 6) or 7 p.m.

I really don't think viewers would go looking on an English-language station for Spanish-language news and it would confuse the hell out of English-language viewers and they wouldn't watch. That's an easy way to get hashmarks.

I meant that their quality of news should be better partly because of it creating the "I Love Chicago" Enforcer signature.

Not even going to try to make sense of this... :confused:

Not even going to try to make sense of this... :confused:
My point is that WBBM is (or rather, was), in a sense, a hallmark station that had outlived its glory days (which were presumably very short), and struggled ever since. It should take a page from Cox's stations and analyze their market more. It gets even worse when you realize that WBBM-AM is the top rated radio station, but its TV sister is quite the opposite with its newscasts (except it beats Fox 32, but as I mentioned before, only marginally) despite CBS being the most watched network according to the Nielsen ratings. Sort of like WWJ AM being one of CBS' best news radio stations, yet CBS 62 lacks a newscast besides weather updates except WBBM has a newscast and it can be improved.

WWJ-TV has no tangible historical connection with WWJ the radio station (WDIV was the original WWJ-TV from 1947-1978)...it's really only a network affiliate by accident and desperation and it was doomed from the get-go.

Besides, TV and (what exists of) all-news radio are entirely different ballgames.

WWJ-TV has no tangible historical connection with WWJ the radio station (WDIV was the original WWJ-TV from 1947-1978)...it's really only a network affiliate by accident and desperation and it was doomed from the get-go.

Besides, TV and (what exists of) all-news radio are entirely different ballgames.

Exactly... Before 1995 WWJ was a black owned station with the call letters WGPR... It was just a bit player in the Detroit market. That said WWJ gets very good ratings for what it is.

Hell, WWJ 950 eliminated live anchoring in the overnight hours... it's now a "jukebox" of voicetracked reports and whatnot.

Remember that the International Free and Accepted Modern Masons retained the WGPR callsign for their existing FM station after CBS gave them bags and bags of cash for channel 62. And the station obviously couldn't be renamed WXYT-TV.

WWJ-TV (and WKBD) exist to clear CBS and CW programming, and the necessary syndicated shows. And it does this quite well at minimal expense.

Did nobody in Detroit want a CBS affiliate 20 years ago? And as highly unlikely as this is, I would've liked for WWJ to have a newscast.

Scripps and WXYZ were tied to ABC via a group-wide affiliation pact, the repercussions of which ultimately led to Group W's group-wide CBS affiliation pact, then Group W simply bought CBS.

Post-Newsweek and WDIV were tied to NBC.

WXON was a charter WB affiliate and didn't want to give it up.

WKBD was owned by Paramount TV and was a de facto UPN O&O in the wake of losing their Fox affiliation. Didn't want to sell.

That left WADL 38 and WGPR 62, and no one had ever heard of WGPR. Kevin Adell absolutely refused to sell WADL, so CBS had to buy WGPR by default. It was either that or pipe in WTOL's signal via cable.

And WWJ-TV 62 has tried a newscast before. Three times, as a matter of fact. WXYZ even produced a newscast for them once. All attempts were dismal failures.

Scripps and WXYZ were tied to ABC via a group-wide affiliation pact, the repercussions of which ultimately led to Group W's group-wide CBS affiliation pact, then Group W simply bought CBS.

Post-Newsweek and WDIV were tied to NBC.

WXON was a charter WB affiliate and didn't want to give it up.

WKBD was owned by Paramount TV and was a de facto UPN O&O in the wake of losing their Fox affiliation. Didn't want to sell.

That left WADL 38 and WGPR 62, and no one had ever heard of WGPR. Kevin Adell absolutely refused to sell WADL, so CBS had to buy WGPR by default. It was either that or pipe in WTOL's signal via cable.

And WWJ-TV 62 has tried a newscast before. Three times, as a matter of fact. WXYZ even produced a newscast for them once. All attempts were dismal failures.

So you're saying that Detroit didn't want an over the air CBS affiliate? Though I'll give you that one since WGPR's employees fought to keep the station, and lost.

So you're saying that Detroit didn't want an over the air CBS affiliate? Though I'll give you that one since WGPR's employees fought to keep the station, and lost.

It was just a combo of other plans and really bad luck for CBS- it had a lot of that during the Tisch years, though by 1997-98 they seemed to have shook it off.

Archived