WFTS getting a new set

Breaking News

Huh, didn't suspect them- they haven't really done much lately. How long have they had their current set? I know the newsroom view dates back to 2002 during the shortlived ABC28 era- and then they went and eliminated the number. Wikipedia says it was because of "Viewer confusion" with branding- how could that happen?

28 Tampa Bay and ABC 28 ? 28 Tampa Bay News and 28 News ?

That's what I'm thinking of, but I don't think I'm correct on that.

They'll keep the "Action News" branding, but if they were going to change it to anything, they'd probably change it to match WXYZ's and KSHB's Action News and call themselves "28 Action News".

As for the set, I'm curious to see which cookie cutter they'll get. Probably the same design WCPO, WMAR, and KSHB have. If they get something totally different, I'll be really peeved.

Hi, I'm TV's Tairy Greene... And I have no idea what you're going on about.

Hi I'm tvnewstalks ns8401 and I have no idea who you are or what he meant...

They badly need to put the Channel back onto the Channel 7 Action News branding... It's amazing what dropping one word does to a station.... If I were them I'd keep the abc Action News branding but it's clear this is coming from some clown at Scripps in Cincy who doesn't have a clue so if they rebrand that's who to blame...

Does WFTS use the "ABC Action News" branding outside of newscasts? If so, I could see them rebranding the non-news as "ABC28" and the news becomes "ABC28 Action News". As far as the set, they will probably get either WCPO or KSHB.

Does WFTS use the "ABC Action News" branding outside of newscasts? If so, I could see them rebranding the non-news as "ABC28" and the news becomes "ABC28 Action News". As far as the set, they will probably get either WCPO or KSHB.

Yep, the Action News name is still used for promos of syndicated programming as "Your ABC Action News Station". Otherwise, I'm pretty much wrong about it.

How on earth does a thread about a new set suddenly become a bunch of speculation about possible branding changes???

There's a very slim chance Scripps puts the (pointless for a variety of reasons) channel number back in the branding, and there's already a very slim chance they touch the branding to start with.

How on earth does a thread about a new set suddenly become a bunch of speculation about possible branding changes???

There's a very slim chance Scripps puts the (pointless for a variety of reasons) channel number back in the branding, and there's already a very slim chance they touch the branding to start with.

Whenever you change something like a set there's always a chance that they might change something else. It all depends on what WFTS's situation is in the ratings and what the research says. It probably won't happen but I wouldn't downplay it that much... I've watched it happen three times at Scripps...

It's actually not an unreasonable thing to think about. Scripps' other two "Action News" stations are "(channel number) Action News," so it's not too unreasonable to think that they'd want there to be consistency amongst all of them.

As far as the set, they will probably get either WCPO or KSHB.

Their sets aren't bad, just not as good as they could have been. I've seen KSHB's in person, and I think it looks better in person than it does on air.

• 4 weeks later...

WFTS is looking great with those new digs, and they are indeed similar to KMGH, with the exception of the stacked stone that graces some of the new set's walls. They're great new digs to show off, and if you haven't seen it, there's a photo set with a time-lapse of the construction here:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/about-us/abc-action-news-debuts-brand-new-state-of-the-art-set

Wow, I'm impressed they need seven cameras for that studio. I wonder what the one on the tracks is used for? Smooth repetitive tracking shots? I imagine they could get seven of those JVC camcorders with studio kits for the price of one fully equipped Sony HDC-2500.

Overall the set looks nice but what's with the need for five touch screen monitors? I can understand maybe two one for weather and the other for news but fives excessive.

Edit. It appears they had the camera tracking on their old set directly in front of the news desk leading to the weather center.

[MEDIA=instagram]wBouhPDG-S[/MEDIA]

Similar to KMGH and whoever else, but on a much larger scale. Doesn't look too bad actually. However that weather pod is incredibly dull. Looks like it came out the 90s.

Scripps, like several ownership groups, likes the design duplication model because it saves money on construction and enables them to put a bigger set with more bells and whistles at each station. Can't fault ownership for that business logic, although some groups take the penny pinching waay too far...The nice thing about this design from Devlin is that it has adapted well to multiple markets; Phoenix, Denver, Tampa, etc. and it looks right at home in each instance.

Scripps, like several ownership groups, likes the design duplication model because it saves money on construction and enables them to put a bigger set with more bells and whistles at each station. Can't fault ownership for that business logic, although some groups take the penny pinching waay too far...The nice thing about this design from Devlin is that it has adapted well to multiple markets; Phoenix, Denver, Tampa, etc. and it looks right at home in each instance.

I'll give Scripps credit for not giving their stations THE cheapest set possible, however it's strange seeing how some stations seemingly had more money invested in them than others. What's also really strange is that Scripps has gone through four companies to get their stations new sets! It started with KJRH and KERO, which were FX jobs, then WPTV, which was either FX or BDI. WEWS was BDI, WCPO, KSHB and WMAR were Park Place, with KMGH, KNXV, and WFTS have been Devlin.

Why go through so many companies? I also think the Park Place studios are the worst for the three stations that got them look the worst.

I'll give Scripps credit for not giving their stations THE cheapest set possible, however it's strange seeing how some stations seemingly had more money invested in them than others. What's also really strange is that Scripps has gone through four companies to get their stations new sets! It started with KJRH and KERO, which were FX jobs, then WPTV, which was either FX or BDI. WEWS was BDI, WCPO, KSHB and WMAR were Park Place, with KMGH, KNXV, and WFTS have been Devlin.

Why go through so many companies? I also think the Park Place studios are the worst for the three stations that got them look the worst.

Hard to say, maybe corporate is giving the stations a little leeway in deciding which designer they are more comfortable working with? Agreed, Park Place designs read very low rent visually, followed closely by FX Group. BDI and Devlin have always set the design bar higher, and let's face it, you get what you pay for in this business...which could account for the pricing variable you mention.

• 4 weeks later...
Hard to say, maybe corporate is giving the stations a little leeway in deciding which designer they are more comfortable working with? Agreed, Park Place designs read very low rent visually, followed closely by FX Group. BDI and Devlin have always set the design bar higher, and let's face it, you get what you pay for in this business...which could account for the pricing variable you mention.

Not to mention deadline and turnaround time plays a big role in who can commit to building and finishing the set on time.

In the old days you just constructed the set and it was a done deal. Now days most stations need to pull city or county permits for the slightest design change. But if you are lucky your municipality might not care what happens inside the confines of the studios.

Archived