Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Most likely resolution: Comcast/NBCU places NBC on WNEU-60, the lower half of the market can't get "NBC Boston" OTA, has to attempt to get WJAR, and Comcast just sticks it's middle finger up to the Southern half of the Boston market and says "F**k you, get our cable." FCC, probably gets paid off and does nothing.

How much is limited basic cable from Comcast? If it's $20/mo, they should offer a lower rate for those who are on Medicaid, Food Stamps, and/or elderly.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much is limited basic cable from Comcast? If it's $20/mo, they should offer a lower rate for those who are on Medicaid, Food Stamps, and/or elderly.

Tell me this from my understanding basic cable by today standards isn't what basic cable is today. From one of the cable companies in town they have basic standard, and general basic. There all these different packages, and some basic cable packages just for a few channels(10 channels including local) are probably $40 bucks. Are a lot of cable operators doing this?

They certainly should, totally agree, will they, no. Not unless the FCC makes them. What would be the best thing? To do nothing but renew with WHDH and allow everyone to have everything as it is. Greedy Comcast will have none of this though. $hit like this is why the FCC should have NEVER allowed Comast to acquire NBC.

They certainly should, totally agree, will they, no. Not unless the FCC makes them. What would be the best thing? To do nothing but renew with WHDH and allow everyone to have everything as it is. Greedy Comcast will have none of this though. $hit like this is why the FCC should have NEVER allowed Comast to acquire NBC.
But they were bribed into doing so, or at least, that's what I've been told because Comcast wanted to reap the money sooner than later knowing that they wouldn't get the chance later, which really sucks when you think about it

But they were bribed into doing so, or at least, that's what I've been told because Comcast wanted to reap the money sooner than later knowing that they wouldn't get the chance later, which really sucks when you think about it

Please don't start with your B.S. speculations/rumors/hypotheticals/etc. If you have proof, please show it. I don't know who would even tell you something like that, and not go to say... the DOJ or the FBI to investigate a serious claim like bribery/corruption.

Really?

Just because Comcast/NBC are commonly owned DOESN'T mean it is a conspiracy to get people in Boston to subscribe to Comcast. If Comcast wanted to do that, they would just have NBC on NECN.

I don't know if the FCC freeze applies to repeater stations, but if it does, NBC can always purchase one of the Spanish Low Power or Class A stations in the Market to help provide coverage to Boston if they have no choice but to use WNEU.

People are painting NBC as the bad guy on speculation and conjuncture when the only thing confirmed from NBC itself is as of Jan 1 WHDH will no longer be the NBC affiliate, and will launch an O&O branded as NBC Boston, with no mention of WNEU becoming the station, and if anything is looking for a station that isn't WNEU.

To be honest, pulling a brand name out of their ass without even having something to apply it to (except as a last resort) is incredibly ill-planned and unprofessional. If they're in negotiations to buy WFXT from Cox or something, they should have waited until there was some sort of deal in place to announce their intentions.

To be honest, pulling a brand name out of their ass without even having something to apply it to (except as a last resort) is incredibly ill-planned and unprofessional. If they're in negotiations to buy WFXT from Cox or something, they should have waited until there was some sort of deal in place to announce their intentions.

I don't think NBC/Comcast had a choice in withholding an announcement until everything was ironed out, seeing as word of the affiliation change got leaked out. And i'm sure they were hoping that Ed would roll over and sell them WHDH, to no avail. Comcast/NBC was screwed once the cat was out of the bag, without any concrete plans/details to present to the public.

So I was doing some research and I found this non-Comcast cable company called MetroCast in Rochester, NH. I checked its lineup and WNEU (along with WUNI) are absent due to having nearly ZERO Hispanic audience in that area. My guess is that they will have to work out a deal to get "NBC Boston" (on SD 8/HD 712, replacing WCSH) WITHOUT BEING FORCED TO CARRY TELEMUNDO. Granted, they do have a fallback for NBC programs in WCSH unless Comcast invokes syndex, but why do I have a feeling that NBC will try to bully MetroCast into putting Telemundo on its lineup?

How many of you people are just sick and tired of this Boston TV soap drama?

I'm just sick and tired of most of everyone here painting Comcast/NBC in the wrong when they're doing what they have to do to get a station they can own in Boston.

They're not the only people deadset at sticking to their guns here--as crazy as it is. Ansin is trying to keep his station from them as hard as possible--to ridiculous levels, and many other options seem like half a pace away from triggering a minebomb--at least from what I read here.

Is it hard? Yes. Is it costly? Yes.

Is it extravagant? Some might say.

But is it truly worth scarily raging over every single little move they make (whether true or rumored) that gets them closer? NO.

So I was doing some research and I found this non-Comcast cable company called MetroCast in Rochester, NH. I checked its lineup and WNEU (along with WUNI) are absent due to having nearly ZERO Hispanic audience in that area. My guess is that they will have to work out a deal to get "NBC Boston" (on SD 8/HD 712, replacing WCSH) WITHOUT BEING FORCED TO CARRY TELEMUNDO. Granted, they do have a fallback for NBC programs in WCSH unless Comcast invokes syndex, but why do I have a feeling that NBC will try to bully MetroCast into putting Telemundo on its lineup?

TMD can easily be thrown into the 280-300 tier as if it was equivalent to Decades or MeTV in SD. Frankly I'm of the mind that providers should be carrying the major Spanish networks as standard and it's offensive that people who depend on them are made to pay $7/month to get them (I do for access to soccer channels), and more power to NBC if they can get it carried, even in SD. It's not like they're making them carry something truly terrible like Rev'n or the Liquidation Channel in order to access NBC Boston, however it comes (the system carries Sonlife and I'm sure without must-carry they would never bother with WMFP, for instance). We're not in 2000 any longer where TBN is regularly bumping secondary PBS signals off cable systems due to must-carry and lack of room.

Future WNEN, is FOX 25 changing their call letters?

Some people think they can predict things like that.

(Granted, if Comcast/NBC did buy WFXT, they wouldn't want to keep call letters that referenced a former affiliation, but trying to predict what they'd switch to is silly at best.)

I am a skeptical that NBC would purchase WFXT. Why would NBC be hiring for a News operation, just to buy a station that already has a news department? As the Maria Stephanos situation showed, Boston is loyal to their personalities, and I feel that if NBC moves some NECN Anchors/Meteorologists to WFXT at the expense of the current Anchors/Meteorologists, it would hurt NBC as much as launching on WNEU will.

Funny how none of that stopped Ansin from buying WLVI and replacing its news team (anchors, meteorologists, reporters, and production staff) with WHDH's just to keep the station out of NBC's hands.

Funny how none of that stopped Ansin from buying WLVI and replacing its news team (anchors, meteorologists, reporters, and production staff) with WHDH's just to keep the station out of NBC's hands.

NBC is already having bad press in Boston, I don't think they'd want to give any more ammo by firing an entire news operation and other staffers.

At this point, Ansin should just cut his losses and try to gun for the CW or MyNetworkTV. NBC is going to at least be on WNEU come 2017.

Totally agree. He should just give up and face the facts. He's losing the NBC affiliation whether he likes it or not. And with all of this TV affiliation drama happening in Boston, one has to wonder, could this happen anywhere else whether its in a big or small market?

Archived