Sunday Today with Willie Geist

rkolsen

Page Six is reporting that in April Willie Geist will be named as the Sunday Today anchor along with a show revamp. According to an unnamed executive the show "will be more thoughtful and reflective in tone, in fitting with the Sunday morning shows. Even though we are in an election year, Willie’s new show won’t be all politics. It is going to cover pop culture and social trends, but it’s built around Willie’s unique voice and take on the issues.”

Willie Geist is currently expected to continue on Morning Joe and weekday Today.

I like Willie Geist and he has a great personality. He's come far from being a producer on Tucker Carlson's show doing bits, to co hosting Morning Joe, then his own show Way Too Early and finally Today.

I bet this isn't going over well with his Morning Joe co hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski who a few years ago were reportedly promised the Sunday show or Meet The Press. They probably can't believe that their sidekick has risen so far so fast.

http://pagesix.com/2016/03/01/willie-geist-scores-his-own-nbc-morning-show/

Congrats to him if it's legit.

He's really come so far to be one of the big B-players at NBC News and one of the members of the Today family. So getting his own show is huge (not just for him, but also for his fans).

I definitely will watch when it premieres. (Of course, before or after Sunday Morning; that's my AM jam)

I bet this isn't going over well with his Morning Joe co hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski who a few years ago were reportedly promised the Sunday show or Meet The Press. They probably can't believe that their sidekick has risen so far so fast.

If so, they oughta be lucky to still have their own show. Being a conservative-leaning man and a blonde woman with a strange name on a seemingly left-leaning network is a bold title and hard to maintain.

If so, they oughta be lucky to still have their own show. Being a conservative-leaning man and a blonde woman with a strange name on a seemingly left-leaning network is a bold title and hard to maintain.

I really liked Morning Joe the first few years but the past three or four I've been turned off by it. I grew up watching Imus In The Morning because my mother really liked the guests. Morning Joe was initially like that but over time Joe and Mika became so full of themselves, pompous and decided to become to close to the people their supposed to be interviewing. Mika tries to portray herself as the journalist of the group but she is a suck up and loves being friends with the politicians subsequently she's gone soft when interviewing them.

I've rarely only watched bits and pieces of it, so I can't really agree or disagree with you on that. but I will take your word for it, since I usually avoid the cable morning shows. So this makes me even more happy for Willie to succeed with this (alleged) new Sunday Today.

I really liked Morning Joe the first few years but the past three or four I've been turned off by it. I grew up watching Imus In The Morning because my mother really liked the guests. Morning Joe was initially like that but over time Joe and Mika became so full of themselves, pompous and decided to become to close to the people their supposed to be interviewing. Mika tries to portray herself as the journalist of the group but she is a suck up and loves being friends with the politicians subsequently she's gone soft when interviewing them.

Weekend Today has not been doing well in the ratings and NBC has been thinking about expanding their Sunday lineup. With the heavy political cycle, it would make sense to experiment and try to bring something news. People want heavier more cerebral news which is what Weekend Today has been lacking the last year.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post in this thread as it pertains to Sunday Today with Willie Geist as they seem to be branding it as a completely separate show.

Anyway here's a tweet from Al Roler where in my opinion he makes it seem like Today's Take will be a part of the show. The whole hour of Today's Take is good but the TOTH happy talk between the hosts seems awkward.

[MEDIA=twitter]721352940947185666[/MEDIA]

I do wonder if Sunday Today may try and steal Bill Geist as his reports seem like they'd fit in with the shows new focus.

Thought I'd post in this thread as it pertains to Sunday Today with Willie Geist as they seem to be branding it as a completely separate show.

Anyway here's a tweet from Al Roler where in my opinion he makes it seem like Today's Take will be a part of the show. The whole hour of Today's Take is good but the TOTH happy talk between the hosts seems awkward.

[MEDIA=twitter]721352940947185666[/MEDIA]

I do wonder if Sunday Today may try and steal Bill Geist as his reports seem like they'd fit in with the shows new focus.

Anybody catch it this morning? Was there a news anchor or weather anchor?

Also, wonder who anchored Saturday Today...

Anybody catch it this morning? Was there a news anchor or weather anchor? Also, wonder who anchored Saturday Today...

I caught a little bit of it and I didn't care for it. The 'blinding yellow' graphics/set was just too much and the overall tone wasn't different enough from your standard weekday version of Today. If the goal was to be a younger, hip version of CBS News Sunday Morning, they failed on every possible level.

Apparently, there was a lot of interest about the show on social media, but turning that into something tangible (viewers/ratings) remains to be seen.

The first half was Willie with three panelists some from the organization and they discuss the days pressing topics - like Morning Joe. The second halve had his BTS interview of Hamilton, an interview from Olivia Sterns on AI tech, a story about a Boston Martahon bombing survivor returning to the race, a weekly segment honoring a life well lived and finally predictions for the week ahead.

No newsreaders or weather maps/meteorologist on set aside from the toss to local weather during each half hour. There wasn't a preview of Meeth The Press as well.

Did anyone see if there were any live shots? If so...the show was a format that could be pre-recorded. It very possibly could be live, I honestly can't tell.

There was live shots

I caught a little bit of it and I didn't care for it. The 'blinding yellow' graphics/set was just too much and the overall tone wasn't different enough from your standard weekday version of Today. If the goal was to be a younger, hip version of CBS News Sunday Morning, they failed on every possible level.

Apparently, there was a lot of interest about the show on social media, but turning that into something tangible (viewers/ratings) remains to be seen.

There was mixed reviews when it premiered, people were not used to the new format. I think the people reacting were the ones who did not watch the promos for his new show. I love the fact that there was no weather person . Overall the show seems compressed cause it is in studio 1A and that is a small studio. Geist is a good newsreader but does he have a connection factor, there is nothing about him that says cool or hippy. I suspect that this show will be an audition for Geist, if Matt does not renew his contract.

There was mixed reviews when it premiered, people were not used to the new format. I think the people reacting were the ones who did not watch the promos for his new show. I love the fact that there was no weather person . Overall the show seems compressed cause it is in studio 1A and that is a small studio. Geist is a good newsreader but does he have a connection factor, there is nothing about him that says cool or hippy. I suspect that this show will be an audition for Geist, if Matt does not renew his contract.

The show will likely get better over time. They really need to tone down the yellow however and he needs to slow his overall tone/presentation. He seemed to rush through certain things.

The show will likely get better over time. They really need to tone down the yellow however and he needs to slow his overall tone/presentation. He seemed to rush through certain things.

I am sure he was nervous and will likely be more comfortable over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they have toned down the yellow in their graphics as of today's broadcast now adding gray in their lower thirds making the graphics a lot more easier to read.

• 2 months later...

Archived