Orlando Coverage

Eat News

So the nets are balls to the wall, but at some point they are going to bail on the coverage.

The scene is static...

The shooter is dead...

And all the networks have sports programming to deal with.

Obama has spoken...

We heard from the talking heads and various others.

Surprised that the Howard Stern people have not made it on the air yet.

When is it "safe" to bail out ????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC has already announced FS1 coverage to other networks, so they have nothing to toss back to technically. ABC has no national sports coverage today. CBS has PGA Golf but the tournament is under lightning delay so CBS will not toss until play resumes. I presume NBC and ABC will wrap within the hour or so after the current press conference to prepare for the evening newscasts.

Did ABC News ever broadcast at all? KMBC was showing infomercials while the other 3 stations were airing their respective network coverage. Also odd, NBC News didn't cover the governor's press conference live. MSNBC did, but NBC News didn't. They aired it after it ended noting it as "moments ago." They were talking about other stuff when he was speaking live.

I still wonder why are Shepard Smith and Brian Williams completely MIA from coverage today? Yes, the shooting happened early in the morning, and it is a Sunday, but I thought their redesigned roles were specifically tailor made for this kind of situation. Long-form, professional coverage of a major breaking news event. It doesn't get much more hitting all the checkmarks then this. Perhaps that was only intended to mean if the news happens Monday-Friday only? That is not to take away the coverage from Tamron Hall or Brett Baier et.al either, they have been doing a fine job.

Did ABC News ever broadcast at all? KMBC was showing infomercials while the other 3 stations were airing their respective network coverage. Also odd, NBC News didn't cover the governor's press conference live. MSNBC did, but NBC News didn't. They aired it after it ended noting it as "moments ago." They were talking about other stuff when he was speaking live.

Yes, ABC was live from the initial press conference that announced a death toll at 50, and are the only broadcast network still covering. They did take a weird hour-long break from Noon to 1 ET as the other networks continued on.

I can confirm that WRTV was airing the ABC News special report on the shooting.

When it come to major breaking news, sports comes last in this very difficult time. In the meantime, here in D/FW; KDFW and KXAS current airing coverage of the

nightclub shooting right now on the news at 5:00PM. WFAA, and KTVT will follow the same at 5:30PM

NBC Nightly News will follow at 5:30PM, ABC and CBS now airing coverage on their evening news right now.

Here is a roundup of programming for the major stations in the area

2.1 - WESH - Continuous Coverage (NBC programming on 2.2)

6.1 - WKMG - Continuous Coverage (CBS programming on 6.2)

9.1 - WFTV - Continuous Coverage (no alternate source for ABC as WRDQ is rebroadcasting WFTV)

18.1 - WKCF - Normal

27.1 - WRDQ - Continuous Coverage

35.1 - WOFL - Continuous Coverage (Fox programming on WRBW)

65.1 - WRBW - Normal (except for Fox programming airing in place of WRBW's primetime programming)

4.1 - CBS News until Golf, then CBS News until Rudabeh and Rick for CBS 4 News at 6:30. Afterwards, 60 Minutes and now Tonys.

6.1 - NBC News until F1, then Golf and NBC 6 News at 6:00 with Jackie and Keith J. (Jawan is on location). NBC Nightly News and Dateline had Lester Holt deliver 90 minutes and now, Stanley Cup Playoffs Game 6.

7.1 - WSVN special report coverage until special news from 4:00-7:00pm. Afterwards and now, FOX Primetime.

10.1 - WPLG had local coverage, didn't use ABC at all. Kept going until WNT at 6:30pm and then an additional hour at 7:00pm. Now is airing ABC Primetime starting at 8:00pm.

I think all will deliver special 1-hour newscasts at 11:00pm.

did any fox affiliates simulcast fox news channel?

Fox simulcasts were made available but they were pretty fragmented and with no real rhyme or reason for their timing I could find, other than during the POTUS address. I presume at other times it never exceeded their level 2 requirements.

From TVSpy:

WFTV, WKMG and WESH began continuing coverage around 5 a.m. while WOFL began at 6 a.m.

I know it was early Sunday morning (or late Saturday night, if you prefer), but I'm surprised that none of the four were on sooner.

Fox simulcasts were made available but they were pretty fragmented and with no real rhyme or reason for their timing I could find, other than during the POTUS address. I presume at other times it never exceeded their level 2 requirements.

how does fox decide if a cut-in is level 1 or 2?

9.1 - WFTV - Continuous Coverage (no alternate source for ABC as WRDQ is rebroadcasting WFTV)

Okay, I'm curious as to why they're doing that. Seems odd. Radically different OTA coverage areas?

Archived