Orlando Coverage

Eat News

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder....do the local outlets provide parking/storage/technical support for their sister stations?

That is, are trucks from other Cox stations parking in WFTV's lot? Is WESH hosting vehicles from its fellow Hearst-owned stations? Are there ABC trucks parked in Disney World?

And where do all those extra people sleep? Do they have to get their own hotel rooms?

While we're sticking with Cox, WSB's Craig Lucie -- who just won an Emmy Saturday night for Best Anchor -- is in Orlando as well (dunno who WSOC is sending).

I haven't heard about anyone from WSOC heading down there. I'm not sure why that would be necessary. Cox has stations in Orlando and Jacksonville. Why do they need to fly all of these other people in?

A couple of questions.

Is there any particular reason why the major networks use weekday personnel for a major event such as this? I know some have also used weekend personnel but why the need for weekday personnel?

Also has anyone noticed that whenever something big happens (like this) that they send people who have some sort of connection to the story ie gay club shooting lets send our gay reporters black stories lets send our black reporters Asian lets send our Asian reporters why not just send whoever is capable of telling the story regardless of story or who is involved etc? Now im only referring to national networks not local.

A couple of questions.

Is there any particular reason why the major networks use weekday personnel for a major event such as this? I know some have also used weekend personnel but why the need for weekday personnel?

I imagine it's because viewers are more connected to their weekday anchors rather than someone they see on the weekends and filing reports from the field.

Also has anyone noticed that whenever something big happens (like this) that they send people who have some sort of connection to the story ie gay club shooting lets send our gay reporters black stories lets send our black reporters Asian lets send our Asian reporters why not just send whoever is capable of telling the story regardless of story or who is involved etc? Now im only referring to national networks not local.

If I had to venture a guess it would be because the persons affected by a story such as this may be more open to talking with someone who knows the struggle they go through and the life they live.

For Tribune stations, WPIX and WGN each sent a reporter.

FOX, by the way, did not provide any affiliate live shots from Orlando, only as-lives standing next to a kiosk in the D.C. bureau.

WITI sent Ben Handelman as well.

I wonder....do the local outlets provide parking/storage/technical support for their sister stations?

That is, are trucks from other Cox stations parking in WFTV's lot? Is WESH hosting vehicles from its fellow Hearst-owned stations? Are there ABC trucks parked in Disney World?

And where do all those extra people sleep? Do they have to get their own hotel rooms?

Locals will really only provide support if asked. Most of these crews are operating independently, that's why they're sent there to begin with. The trucks (The ones that are there... I have a hunch a lot of the crews have bonded cellular packs) will probably follow the crews back to their hotels at night if they don't stay parked in the media camp. Not all the trucks are going to be owned by stations, either. There are dozens and dozens of "uplink services" across the nation which can be called on to send trucks to events like this so stations don't need to send their own.

As for the local weekday anchors...WAGA's Russ Spencer co-anchored the 10:00 with Deidra Dukes; WSB had Justin Farmer with Wendy Corona; WGCL, Sharon Reed with Mike Dunston; and Brenda Wood flew solo over on WXIA.

The international media will join the domestic media soon; I won't be surprised if Peter Mansbridge is already on a plane to Orlando right now.

Okay, I'm curious as to why they're doing that. Seems odd. Radically different OTA coverage areas?

ABC was all reruns tonight except for the special 20/20 and only a few care about the Bones and Castle reruns that make up WRDQ's Sunday night (along with E/I detritus); might as well simulcast there. WRDQ does simulcast quite a bit of WFTV's breaking coverage to begin with so that someone thinking 'oh, they're in ABC hours on 9, I'll check 27) gets the coverage somehow. On the radio side, all of Cox's Orlando stations went with a WRDQ-FM simulcast until 7pm, so it's all just 'send everyone to one stream'.

Outside stations are usually on their own. Your sat truck is going to be parked at the crime scene/ dog pound / media compound.

You NEVER depend on the affiliates for assistance unless it was pre-arranged in advance.

It's not a big sleepover...it's a cluster fuck and you never want to tell your boss..." The affiliates screwed us".

Bring your own stuff.

In many ways, it is easier now to send your own reporter, because all you need is a laptop and a LiveU/Dejero/whatever you use. You don't have to worry about parking a monstrous satellite truck and rolling cable. But you're also gambling that you'll have four bars of service.

As for Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Inside Edition, The Insider, and Extra? I know they'll devote their entire shows today to not just the massacre, but the shooting death of "The Voice" alum Christina Grimmie that also happened in Orlando.

UPDATE: WAGA has sent Nathalie Pozo to Orlando.

Reporters Toni Pipitone, Amanda Plasencia, and Laura Rodriguez joined Jawan Strader in Orlando for WTVJ. Plus Jamie Guirola is in Fort Pierce.

WFOR has anchor Rick Folbaum and reporters Joan Murray and Tiani Jones also on scene plus Oralia Ortega in Fort Piece.

And here's how stations groups plan to help local Orlando TV stations.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/station-groups-pitch-in-to-help-orlando-stations-cover-shootings/172438

I wonder how many people that have been sent down by station groups (Cox, a Fox, Hearst and Graham) are there to assist their sister stations? I remember seeing during the Boston Bombing persons from WBAL on WCVB, and WCBS on WBZ. In Baltimore Riots the big three all had relief reporters (about two per shift).

A couple of questions.

With regards to your second point I noticed that NBC/MSNBC sent Thomas Roberts (who is gay) to be their reporter on the ground

As for the international media:

CTV's Lisa LaFlamme was the only Canadian anchor in Orlando, while Peter Mansbridge (CBC) and Dawna Friesen (Global) stayed put; CBC sent three reporters anyway and Global, only one.

BBC's, ITV's, and Sky's presences are unknown; the Australian networks have their U.S. bureaus in Los Angeles and deployed their reporters to Florida.

Archived