FTV Live: WBNS & WTHR being shopped

DirtyHarry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A part of me still longs for the super-merger of the Dispatch stations with CBC/Raleigh and/or Griffin. But it will probably be sucked into one of the major groups.

IMO, those companies plus KFMB, plus WLEX (still local ownership?) plus WFMJ and whatever other mom and pops remain should merge all of their back-office stuff to give them leverage as a larger player. But keep the station ownership separate. I don't know if you could do this so. It seems like there would be too many strong-willed people with their own way of doing things. Local broadcasting appears to be doomed.

IMO, those companies plus KFMB, plus WLEX (still local ownership?) plus WFMJ and whatever other mom and pops remain should merge all of their back-office stuff to give them leverage as a larger player. But keep the station ownership separate. I don't know if you could do this so. It seems like there would be too many strong-willed people with their own way of doing things. Local broadcasting appears to be doomed.

No. Cordillera owns them.

This reminds of a few years ago when Saints' owner Tom Benson denied that he was selling WVUE outright to Raycom. Not too long after that, Benson forms an SSA to allow Raycom to operate WVUE as if it was one of its own stations. It wouldn't surprise me if Dispatch decides to take that unlikely route.

If Dispatch is sending FTVLive a C&D, they mean business. Scott's published far, far worse without something that threatening in response. My guess is a bunch of employees at one or both stations got spooked, especially given how Sinclair and Nexstar have taken over the media landscape--however low the possibility of either acquiring Dispatch is. It doesn't have to be libel--it just has to appear to cause harm.

I've feared this kind of bully tactic could quickly become the norm in the wake of what happened to Gawker (whatever you think of the Hulk tape notwithstanding.)

We need to stop speculating and citing "sources" and this thread should probably be closed.

And this is why I want to be an activist in the tv industry rather than just an observer and part of it is because we're fed just as much misinformation as everyone else is. And I'm not going into detail about that, but I do agree that this thread should be closed!

And this is why I want to be an activist in the tv industry rather than just an observer and part of it is because we're fed just as much misinformation as everyone else is. And I'm not going into detail about that, but I do agree that this thread should be closed!

Have you considered joining The Weathermen / The Weather Underground?

I bet they are looking for members...

You could be the new generation of TV activist....just join them.

Edit: Link deleted to protect the stupid.

Or the SLA like Karen Walker did:

KAREN: The horrible, muffled cries of Patty Hearst from behind that closet door. Never happened

TANYA Lives!!!! Cin Q.

Actually youtube has a few really good versions of the Compton SLA Shootout in 1974. That thing was covered live and feature some totally awesome local coverage (all live). There are a few listed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sla+compton+shootout+1974

What about Patty Hearst?

TANYA Lives!!!! Cin Q.

Actually youtube has a few really good versions of the Compton SLA Shootout in 1974. That thing was covered live and feature some totally awesome local coverage (all live). There are a few listed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sla+compton+shootout+1974

There's also a good amount of car chases on youtube, including the one in San Bernardino involving radical muslims (which is one of the few car chases to be televised nationally)

They have TV activists? I thought they were some kind of militarized group

What about Patty Hearst?

There's also a good amount of car chases on youtube, including the one in San Bernardino involving radical muslims (which is one of the few car chases to be televised nationally)

They have TV activists? I thought they were some kind of militarized group

If they were militarized they would be called "The Army Men"...not "Weathermen"...who operate the dopplers.

Not to be confused with "The Weather Girls"...who operate the rain gauges...

What about Patty Hearst?

The SLA kidnapped Patty Hearst, locked her in a closet for months, she developed Stockholm syndrome, became Tanya and militant, robbed a bunch of banks, was caught sentenced for 30 years in prison until President Carter commuted her sentence. She was kidnapped from her apartment at Stanford so they could "sway" the media attention to their cause

The SLA kidnapped Patty Hearst, locked her in a closet for months, she developed Stockholm syndrome, became Tanya and militant, robbed a bunch of banks, was caught sentenced for 30 years in prison until President Carter commuted her sentence. She was kidnapped from her apartment at Stanford so they could "sway" the media attention to their cause

...and we didn't call them "terrorist"...

They were "Cults".

SLA_logo_by_sarah_carroll.jpg.24608639deb74d4c69df92cfaefa83c1.jpg

Ok so the SLA evolved in a nice "Green" cult...serving the community through community organizing.

At least she managed to sway the media, which is at least better than us having no sway in it (but not by much, yet still says a lot), but I dont want to get into detail on that here

Once Sinclair and Nexstar went on a buying spree, their influence became unstoppable. The only way to make a difference is to amass enough cash to buy them out. But with the networks and the retransmission consent dollars attached to them, it's likely a lost cause.
Their influence was already high even before they went on a buying spree. Its just that by the time they did, streaming video (netflix, amazon, hulu, etc) started to sweep the world and people really didn't care for media ownership (and still don't and maybe never have)

I drove by the studios today and it looks like they are doing some construction work to the exterior of the office part of the building. Looks like they are not selling after all because why would you spend money doing construction work if you were?

To make it enticing to potential buyers... The less a new company has to invest in an operation once taking over, the more enticing it is for them to purchase that asset.

I drove by the studios today and it looks like they are doing some construction work to the exterior of the office part of the building. Looks like they are not selling after all because why would you spend money doing construction work if you were?

To make it enticing to potential buyers... The less a new company has to invest in an operation once taking over, the more enticing it is for them to purchase that asset.

We always joke that if someone is cleaning the carpets, we're going to be sold.

Or Tegna.

Tegna and COX do not belong in the same sentence together. One is a quality owner that invests in its stations--the other is an owner...looking to suck as much out of its stations as it can, while investing as little as possible. Just ask those [current and former] Gannett, errr Tegna employees that were either laid off or furloughed in the last few years...

Archived