FTV Live: WBNS & WTHR being shopped

DirtyHarry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if this means Dispatch wouldn't like this thread, considering how they responded to Scott on FTVLive then.

I'd like to see them try to remove this thread. It'll probably derail from this subject within a few (or more) posts, anyway. LOL

I suspect Dispatch just doesn't like the idea that someone leaked sensitive information. Now they're trying to calm the waters (the employees). I bet they sell.

I was told by some sources last year that the BNS had to make some tough cuts, and that it was in play for the company to sell. I think the company trying to save face, but let not act like this isn't the first time a company has refute a story. It just a matter of time before The Wolfes (Dispatch) move forward, and sell. Yes, they make a boatload of $$$ with their two stations, but even with it being a small company. They've sold off their Newspaper division, they couldn't keep up with their state-wide cable channel (which was losing $$), and they only have radio/tv stations. I just don't see them keeping these in their fold. The business model is changing, and they have always had access to capital for the investment, but for them to slim down their cash cow station in their own backyard speaks volumes. It just only a matter of time, and we'll see where their head is at after 2016 election.

Maybe they'll sell the radio stations next, leaving only the TV stations.

On the other hand, WTHR is their only property not in Columbus, so maybe they'll sell just it entirely because it's not in Columbus.

Or, more likely, they'll hold on to both TV stations and both radio stations as long as they can.

I suspect Dispatch just doesn't like the idea that someone leaked sensitive information. Now they're trying to calm the waters (the employees). I bet they sell.

People are so brazen about lying anymore, that basically comments like that are BS. There have to be people kicking the tires right now.

I was told by some sources last year that the BNS had to make some tough cuts, and that it was in play for the company to sell. I think the company trying to save face, but let not act like this isn't the first time a company has refute a story. It just a matter of time before The Wolfes (Dispatch) move forward, and sell. Yes, they make a boatload of $$$ with their two stations, but even with it being a small company. They've sold off their Newspaper division, they couldn't keep up with their state-wide cable channel (which was losing $$), and they only have radio/tv stations. I just don't see them keeping these in their fold. The business model is changing, and they have always had access to capital for the investment, but for them to slim down their cash cow station in their own backyard speaks volumes. It just only a matter of time, and we'll see where their head is at after 2016 election.
Their Cash Cow is not broadcasting-- that's just icing on the cake. Their Cash Cow is real estate. They own something like five thousand acres of agricultural land in some of the adjacent counties. Some of the most fertile land in the state. They own pieces of practically every medical office building that Daimler (a local developer) puts up. Plus they partner with Nationwide in developing buildings. Collecting rent is a lot easier than running a business.

If I am the Wolfes there would be one thing going through my mind right now. At one time they could have sold the paper for four hundred million dollars, they got 47 million dollars for selling it. I wouldn't want to lose an affiliation or ride the television industry downhill to the point where my assets weren't worth anything.

Sorry folks, but according to FTVLive, Dispatch Broadcast Group is not for sale. Weeters, if your out there; I guess its safe to say this thread is closed.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/8/23/retraction-dispatch-says-stations-are-not-for-sale

Sorry, but until you start buying stations. You and stations are bait to be bought outright... Also let's keep it 100 as a small company in the mega station world. Ya screwed. #JustSaying

Their Cash Cow is not broadcasting-- that's just icing on the cake. Their Cash Cow is real estate. They own something like five thousand acres of agricultural land in some of the adjacent counties. Some of the most fertile land in the state. They own pieces of practically every medical office building that Daimler (a local developer) puts up. Plus they partner with Nationwide in developing buildings. Collecting rent is a lot easier than running a business.

If I am the Wolfes there would be one thing going through my mind right now. At one time they could have sold the paper for four hundred million dollars, they got 47 million dollars for selling it. I wouldn't want to lose an affiliation or ride the television industry downhill to the point where my assets weren't worth anything.

Yes, you're right they're real estate is where their money comes from, so I talk with another source and it was said that the station is making alot of changes, but there's some writing on the wall. Yes, mgmt said it not true, but I was told you see the forest for the trees. However they did stress saying they were told it not true, but anything is possible. They've made cuts in certain areas, and the children of the owner really don't care about the business...(so that also a hint too) I think the company trying to save face, and they couldn't keep up on the newspaper level I was told. They saw how other media companies streamlined the paper.

I'm no lawyer but how is it libelous to speculate that a company may be selling its stations?

If Dispatch is sending FTVLive a C&D, they mean business. Scott's published far, far worse without something that threatening in response. My guess is a bunch of employees at one or both stations got spooked, especially given how Sinclair and Nexstar have taken over the media landscape--however low the possibility of either acquiring Dispatch is. It doesn't have to be libel--it just has to appear to cause harm.

I've feared this kind of bully tactic could quickly become the norm in the wake of what happened to Gawker (whatever you think of the Hulk tape notwithstanding.)

We need to stop speculating and citing "sources" and this thread should probably be closed.

Remember how it got out that WSJV was getting .2'ed out of existence in that Sinclair/Quincy crossfire? Dispatch doesn't want that mess happening again. Cannot blame them for the C&D at all here; unless they say something, don't report it.

I'm no lawyer but how is it libelous to speculate that a company may be selling its stations?

Good point. A corporation is kind of like a public figure which probably means that it's hard to recover for libel and slander unless you show actual malice, which could include a reckless disregard for the facts maybe?

If Dispatch is sending FTVLive a C&D, they mean business. Scott's published far, far worse without something that threatening in response. My guess is a bunch of employees at one or both stations got spooked, especially given how Sinclair and Nexstar have taken over the media landscape--however low the possibility of either acquiring Dispatch is. It doesn't have to be libel--it just has to appear to cause harm.

I've feared this kind of bully tactic could quickly become the norm in the wake of what happened to Gawker (whatever you think of the Hulk tape notwithstanding.)

We need to stop speculating and citing "sources" and this thread should probably be closed.

This is a standard operating tactic of that law firm. They are aggressive litigators. Too aggressive if you ask me.

I can get just about any lawyer to prepare and send that letter for $100.

It's only a letter...nothing more.

FTV didn't do a retraction... he just said sorry for any inaccuracy....and took their statement at face value.

Again...not a legal expert here, but this seems a lot like a SLAPP-esque deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Again...not a legal expert here, but this seems a lot like a SLAPP-esque deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Well yes.....and no...

It's called a "Lawyer Letter"..

Yes it's a nice way of saying "Hello, we are paying attention". and it's designed to scare the crap out of him. So if he was looking for a pile of snakes then... he just found them.

Do note however that they DO call Zeiger a "Client" so it's safe to assume they DO already represent the client already (on retainer) as opposed to...

"Mr Zegier tells us" which means he just payed us for a stupid letter and is not even retained by us (most common) and this letter is meaningless.

For it to be a SLAPP, you have to actually file the suit, not just threaten to do so. Remember Judges can and will award legal fees and damages in bogus lawsuits, so SLAPPing can backfire, and bite ya in the ass if you misuse it.

Scott Jones / FTV is covering his ass, and he has to decide if he wants to play with snakes (sharks). We could bring up" insider trading " but that's a super, super longshot in this case.

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason, but it cost lots of money and time .

I agree with a few others here and think it's one big smokescreen and they just don't want FTV snooping around the deal.

It's for sale...

whatever

"it" is.

Archived