FTV Live: WBNS & WTHR being shopped

DirtyHarry

Nexstar/MG couldn't even take WTHR since they will own WISH/WNDY, and seeing how WISH seems to be a big station still (despite the news staff leaving the station en masse it seems like), I doubt the new Nexstar would sell WISH anytime soon.

And I seen yesterday on FTVLive that their GM Les Vann is now out.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping for Hearst or Meredith, though I could see Cox being interested.

I always loved Hearst's open for their stations (the current one AND the one in the 90's-early 00's), which is another hope for me, but I know it's not all news opens. Hopefully the newscasts will be decent if Hearst gets channel 13.

I always loved Hearst's open for their stations (the current one AND the one in the 90's-early 00's), which is another hope for me, but I know it's not all news opens. Hopefully the newscasts will be decent if Hearst gets channel 13.

To be fair, Hearst has been pretty consistently with their stations and news operations. There's a few that don't do so well, but WTHR and WBNS would be nice additions to the resume. Also, Strive (the current Hearst theme) is surprisingly the best station-group mandated news music in my eyes.

As I said that is not happening at all. they are running like hell away from it unlike WTHR

What is WBNS rated in Columbus ratings anyway? I know WTHR isn't dropping it because their ratings beat everyone else in Indy ten-fold, so it makes me wonder.

What is WBNS rated in Columbus ratings anyway? I know WTHR isn't dropping it because their ratings beat everyone else in Indy ten-fold, so it makes me wonder.

10TV is still the market leader, followed by ABC6/Fox28, and then NBC4. Been like that for quite awhile.

In answer to the ratings questions, WTHR is still way, way out in front in Indianapolis. 5th place? I'm not sure, but it's probably WTTV, due to its weakness in the morning.

WBNS is still the ratings leader in Columbus, with WSYX second and WCMH third. But the margin is not nearly as large as WTHR in its market.

What makes you experts think that Cox needs to "dump stations" to "be able to afford" WTHR and WBNS?

1. Family companies don't like to take on debt unlike public companies. It's their inheritance on the line.

2. They sold WTOV and WJAC and a few other stations if I remember correctly in order to buy other stations.

It's not a question of whether they can do it or not, it's a question of whether they want to carry on the additional debt. If you have a lot of debt you end up working for the banks instead of for yourself.

In answer to the ratings questions, WTHR is still way, way out in front in Indianapolis. 5th place? I'm not sure, but it's probably WTTV, due to its weakness in the morning.

WBNS is still the ratings leader in Columbus, with WSYX second and WCMH third. But the margin is not nearly as large as WTHR in its market.

Last I had checked... TTV had passed WRTV.

Hearst, Meredith, or Cox would definitely be the best options if a major group would take over. TEGNA or Raycom would be fine, but kind of not preferable. All I ask for i please not Nexstar or Sinclair... Please Please Please. (Although since they are near their cap, it could work out just fine where they won't be in the picture.)

Underdog pick here, but since the Meredith/MG debacle, I think they may be ready to buy. So I lay my damn dollars on Meredith acquiring these stations.

If I am an employee at any of those stations, I would want Cox because Cox is a privately owned company that doesn't have to answer to Wall Street. That makes a huge difference in how employees are treated and just the general turbulence of working with for a public company. You never know when your get bought or sold or merged in a public company. You are also more likely to end up on the chopping block at Christmas time if you find yourself in a Clear Channel type of situation.

10TV is still the market leader, followed by ABC6/Fox28, and then NBC4. Been like that for quite awhile.

It been like that for the last 2/3years. WSYX has had a hard climb out of being #3 forever. It been #2 during the mid 70s & parts of the 80s. BNS has held the market, being #1 and several times WCMH has come in either tied for #1 or knocked BNS off it perch for #1 supremacy.

If I am an employee at any of those stations, I would want Cox because Cox is a privately owned company that doesn't have to answer to Wall Street. That makes a huge difference in how employees are treated and just the general turbulence of working with for a public company. You never know when your get bought or sold or merged in a public company. You are also more likely to end up on the chopping block at Christmas time if you find yourself in a Clear Channel type of situation.

I agree Cox is the best broadcasting, but BNS is not Cox material. Yeah, I said it. BNS has been a family owned station for six decades, and they have had it easy. It time for the mom & pop shop to shake it up a little bit. TEGNA is in this station wheelhouse.

I agree Cox is the best broadcasting, but BNS is not Cox material. Yeah, I said it. BNS has been a family owned station for six decades, and they have had it easy. It time for the mom & pop shop to shake it up a little bit. TEGNA is in this station wheelhouse.
I think it is Cox material or Meredith material, but not TEGNA material, that's KFMB.

Archived