(FTV Live) KRON potentially being sold in Spectrum

jsn1992

It honestly doesn't surprise me at all. Not only is the station worth much more in the spectrum action than as a MyTV station with a dead last news operation, it also is taking up a LOT of cap space.

I honestly think this was MG's plan all along and Nexstar is simply being passed the baton

that map is a mess. not only was it missing the MG stations in San Francisco, Honolulu, Indianapolis, Albuquerque, and the Nexstar station in Jacksonville; it also misidentified Evansville as a conflict market, when the conflict market is in fact Terre Haute. Also several of the dots are in the wrong locations (Phoenix is in Tucson, Providence in Massachusetts, etc)

Sounds like FTVLive is implying that the "forgotten" stations are going to the auction.

Yeah they probably could have worded that better. Of all the "forgotten" stations only KRON and the Indy duopoly makes sense to sell (and the case to sell Indy is thin). We already know that WCWJ is being sold to Graham and we know they are keeping KRQE because of the moves they've made involving KASA. Also KHON is a very strong station in Hawaii and they'd be stupid to give that up.

Albuquerque is another conflict market, even after KASA is sold to Ramar. The demise of WISH seems a little premature given that it is outperforming WTTV and even WRTV. Nexstar may want to pass off KHON since its all the way in Hawaii and even Hearst pulled out when they sold KITV.

KRON has always had a foot in the grave ever since they lost NBC and Young seriously overpaid for thrm.

It was clear something was up when KRON moved in with KGO. Don't write off KRON just yet. KRON can live on as a sub channel, web site, doco production co, or a million other intellectual properties.

KRON will become the cockroach of television....impossible to kill...even in a nuclear holocaust it will somehow live on to torment all of you...forever and ever.

It was clear something was up when KRON moved in with KGO. Don't write off KRON just yet. KRON can live on as a sub channel, web site, doco production co, or a million other intellectual properties.

KRON will become the cockroach of television....impossible to kill...even in a nuclear holocaust it will somehow live on to torment all of you...forever and ever.

Or more likely....KRON will be swept into the corporate throngs of.....

NBC.....

FOX....

or....wait for it.....

ABC!

un_lmao.gif%7Ec200

Per FTV Live, this may be actually be a thing. I would say I'm surprised, but then again it's Nexstar (or will be), so I'm not.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/9/7/will-kron-be-sold-in-the-spectrum-auction

First, if all Scott has to go on is a error-ridden map and a slide from an investor presentation, I'd take his game of "connect the dots" with a grain of salt.

Also, that investor presentation slide listing "sell & exit" also had a "3" on it making me think this is part of a series of slides. I'm guessing slides "1", "2" and possibly "4" illustrated other auction options such as, moving to VHF-hi, moving to VHF-lo or channel sharing. I'm thinking it's part of a larger series of slides in order to explain the auction as a whole to investors and how it could potentially benefit them. So, hardly a smoking gun in my book.

Finally, he throws out this line towards the tail end of the article: "No one will confirm that any of this is happening and we are not saying that it will. " In other words he throws something out there so he can do the whole "you read it here first" bit. Likewise, if nothing happens and/or he's called out, he can come back with "well I never said it was going to happen." How convenient?

that map is a mess. not only was it missing the MG stations in San Francisco, Honolulu, Indianapolis, Albuquerque, and the Nexstar station in Jacksonville; it also misidentified Evansville as a conflict market, when the conflict market is in fact Terre Haute. Also several of the dots are in the wrong locations (Phoenix is in Tucson, Providence in Massachusetts, etc)

Which is just further proof Scott is grasping at straws trying to find a "smoking gun" on this one.

As you've noted it's an error riddled map. Is it possible the map implies some sort of auction strategy MG and Nexstar have? Maybe. Is it possible the missing markets were markets they were looking at leaving/divesting in order to get under the cap to complete the merger wirh MG? Maybe. Is it possible someone did a really shitty job creating that map and made a simple mistakes? Maybe. All are certainly plausible.

Sounds like FTVLive is implying that the "forgotten" stations are going to the auction.

It sure reads like Scott is implying that. Only problem with that is neither of the stations in Albuquerque are needed in the auction. As a result they weren't offered opening bid prices and therefore cannot participate.

So, if the implication is that the stations left off the map are having their license turned in and leaving the air post auction, then how do you rectify that if it isn't possible in one of the missing markets. Furthermore, if the implication only applies to KRON then how do you explain the other missing markets? If you say the others, like Albuquerque, were just simple errors then couldn't the same be said about KRON? And, at that point your whole theory is blown out of the water.

I'm surprised Media General hasn't issued some sort of denial. I'm sure some KRON employees are freaking out. Or maybe they're cheering, knowing they can soon move on with their lives.

They can't say much of anything now that we are in the auction "quiet period" unless they want a big ass fine from the FCC. They would be walking a very, very fine line making any statements that could be viewed as disclosing their bidding strategy. Even making a statement internally is problematic as you greatly increase the possibility of something leaking out and having the commission drop the hammer on you.

Which just is just further proof that Scott's article was reckless as far as I'm concerned. To imply that a station is going to shut down and the vast majority of it's laid off without any real concrete proof is disturbing.... especially, when that employer cannot confirm or deny the allegation to it's employees. If you're going run with something like that you better have the goods to back it up.

Or more likely....KRON will be swept into the corporate throngs of.....

NBC.....

FOX....

or....wait for it.....

ABC!

un_lmao.gif%7Ec200

Right....when armadillos fly. Reality check: NBC, ABC, and Fox don't want KRON, but here's my 2 cents, if it weren't for Young Broadcasting outbidding NBC for KRON at the last minute, it would become an NBC O&O, but hey, what's done is done.

Two other items I failed to mention in my long post.

1. MG spent a lot of money moving KRON into to KGO building. They invested in new equipment, set, etc. Why would they invest all that time and money if the plan is to turn in the license and go off the air post auction?

2. Albuquerque was left off the map. But, by all accounts post-merger Nexstar plans to stay in the market with KRQE and even move the Fox affiliation to a subchannel. That seems far from wanting to leave the market post auction even if they could. So, I don't know how one implies or draws that conclusion just because they were left off a map.

Right....when armadillos fly. Reality check: NBC, ABC, and Fox don't want KRON, but here's my 2 cents, if it weren't for Young Broadcasting outbidding NBC for KRON at the last minute, it would become an NBC O&O, but hey, what's done is done.

That was a joke post.

They invested in new equipment, set, etc. Why would they invest all that time and money if the plan is to turn in the license and go off the air post auction?

I thought they went off air for a while to move old equipment into the new building.

I thought they went off air for a while to move old equipment into the new building.

They went without newscasts for a weekend. And going off the pictures and from what I've heard, most of it is new equipment and a fairly modern, if simple, setup.

Considering Scott Jones' recent track record I'm having a hard time taking him seriously anymore. He got nailed on the alleged Dispatch-shopping-stations story, then more recently with the "Roger Ailes is Juliet Huddy's godfather" story. Most respectable journalists would rather be right than first.

I'm surprised Media General hasn't issued some sort of denial. I'm sure some KRON employees are freaking out. Or maybe they're cheering, knowing they can soon move on with their lives.

Most of them are likely freaking out over the supposed rift between KRON management and Gary Radnich.

Rich Lieberman, BTW, has said nothing on KRON supposedly being in the spectrum auction... and he's a classic muckraker who is right more often than not.

Considering Scott Jones' recent track record I'm having a hard time taking him seriously anymore. He got nailed on the alleged Dispatch-shopping-stations story, then more recently with the "Roger Ailes is Juliet Huddy's godfather" story. Most respectable journalists would rather be right than first.

He was right about Quincy and WSJV

Most of them are likely freaking out over the supposed rift between KRON management and Gary Radnich.

Rich Lieberman, BTW, has said nothing on KRON supposedly being in the spectrum auction... and he's a classic muckraker who is right more often than not.

Rich and FTV are not the first to raise the issue...in fact it's pretty much been a given "fact??" for the last year. It's just pretty much been assumed it was spectrum bait.

FTV is not the first to by any stretch...

Geez....

I was saying this back in Dec 16th of 2015 that KRON was probably bait.

But I digress because NOTHING has happened yet.

It's just a highly educated guess. FTV has no real clue.

Remember there is going to be a round 2 for the auction.

Also...

The readers of 415 media predicted it last year, but they had to educate Rich as to what the auction was all about.

KRON moved a lot of used gear like the studio cams and other stuff....the only "new" items were only those absolutely needed.

I have read about the possibility of stations that have their RF spectrum auctioned off leasing available space on another channel and still continuing operations. (Theoretically, KRON could lease a subchannel on KBCW - which has no subchannels - and map the subchannel as 4.1.)

A similar possibility was floated in the now-locked "NBC Boston" thread, where Comcast leases a subchannel of another full-power station, mapped as 60.1, and have that function as the true full-market signal, with WNEU as a booster.

Under that scenario, KRON wouldn't really "go away," but they really wouldn't own anything to their name, either (at least not the studios and transmitter).

I have read about the possibility of stations that have their RF spectrum auctioned off leasing available space on another channel and still continuing operations. (Theoretically, KRON could lease a subchannel on KBCW - which has no subchannels - and map the subchannel as 4.1.)

A similar possibility was floated in the now-locked "NBC Boston" thread, where Comcast leases a subchannel of another full-power station, mapped as 60.1, and have that function as the true full-market signal, with WNEU as a booster.

Under that scenario, KRON wouldn't really "go away," but they really wouldn't own anything to their name, either (at least not the studios and transmitter).

Seriously...

Expect channels to go away soon. They will be replaced with the "files and folders" system.

Archived