KWGN Premieres Regressive Graphics and Locals Only

ABC 7 Denver

I'll admit. I miss their mid-2000s Giant Octopus look. It was cleaner and more professional-looking than anything they've used since. And the red-and-yellow color scheme was a way of tastefully referencing the Colorado flag - if that was even intentional.

They just seem to be throwing everything at the wall hoping something will stick. I remain skeptical any of this (Landess, random new newscasts, new graphics/set) will change things.

They really should have just pulled an Old Yeller to the KWGN brand after the KDVR merger. KWGN lost all its meaning and purpose once that happened. Or they should have taken a page out of KTLA's playbook by bringing back the 80s sun logo and, you know, just doing the news again. One or the other.

I'll admit. I miss their mid-2000s Giant Octopus look. It was cleaner and more professional-looking than anything they've used since. And the red-and-yellow color scheme was a way of tastefully referencing the Colorado flag - if that was even intentional.

Somehow that old yellow and red graphics are reminiscent of the current WIAT graphics.

Tribune is wasting money on this pointless product. The good news is that there might be dichotomy that might flip all of this on it's head. So we'll see.

• 5 months later...

Yes, KWGN has lost all meaning indeed. Whatever happened to the KWGN we all remember? Blinky the Clown? Ernie Bjorkman? and so on?

Charles was right when he said, "[KWGN] should have taken a page out of KTLA's playbook by bringing back the 80s sun logo."

Charles is really onto something, so I thought I try my attempt at uniting the KWGN 80s sun logo with the CW logo. Anybody wanna take me up on the challenge of uniting both logos together?

480385159_KWGN3.thumb.png.7b72391ea0281a94e9332ff92de8883f.png

Yes, KWGN has lost all meaning indeed. Whatever happened to the KWGN we all remember? Blinky the Clown? Ernie Bjorkman? and so on?

Charles was right when he said, "[KWGN] should have taken a page out of KTLA's playbook by bringing back the 80s sun logo."

Charles is really onto something, so I thought I try my attempt at uniting the KWGN 80s sun logo with the CW logo. Anybody wanna take me up on the challenge of uniting both logos together?

[ATTACH=full]3729[/ATTACH]

Please contact KWGN about this. They need you.

Why didn't KWGN take FOX back in 1987? I understand why WGN, KTLA, and WPIX didn't take it, but Denver never had a Metromedia station so Fox was up for grabs for KWGN.

Wasn't KWGN a mini-superstation not unlike WSBK, WUAB, KTVT, KSTW and WVTV (the latter four all Gaylord stations)? Tribune probably didn't want to lose state-wide cable carriage...

• 3 months later...

From Channel 2 primary anchor: I feel like the only way to "save" KWGN at this point is to move KDVR's Fox affiliation over there.

Good idea! Make KWGN become FOX2, and turn KDVR into CW31. Do the swaparoony! LOVE IT!

KWGN doesn't need to be "saved" as much as you would think. It's at least beating KMGH in certain timeslots, so it's doing something right. Let's hope that I can say that once S*nclair takes over.

:smash:The graphics don't look THAT bad...

The graphics aren't the greatest, but it's a Tribune station. They're hit or miss when the stations design their own stuff. The old stuff was arguably better, but this stuff is a bit more colorful.

I have more complaints about the graphics than the logo. There's nothing really wrong with the logo???? I'm pretty sure it was designed with one thing in mind, which all the logo mocks in here have not: app icons. It's square and compact and sticks out in a sea of boring icons from other stations in the market.

I know everyone on here has this weird nostalgia for (usually awful) 70's/80's era logos, but, I'm gonna be honest: that "sunburst" logo doesn't ever need to come back.

I know everyone on here has this weird nostalgia for (usually awful) 70's/80's era logos, but, I'm gonna be honest: that "sunburst" logo doesn't ever need to come back.

I would generally agree about most 80s designs. Updating the KWGN sun logo in a KTLA style would certainly be interesting, but by no means necessary. I suggested it as a way for if they really wanted to harken back to the good old days of ch. 2, which is what they seem to be aiming for right now. But maybe it wouldn't have that much pull anymore — it didn't last as long as other classic logos, and they've had others since then that have been all across the spectrum from good (

) to awful (Deuce era), along with some
. That sun logo hasn't been on TV for so long that most people probably wouldn't think much of it.

Of all realistic options, I think I wish they would have just updated the 2011 graphics with the same, simpler green logo. I liked that logo. Green, gold, and grey have never really been done in this market, and I think that stood out a lot more than the current look. The modified logo with the state flag behind it only makes it look busier, and as much pride as I have for my homestate, the current trend of slapping the state flag on everything from T-shirts to beer koozies and now TV station logos is getting really old.

Also, not sure if there's really much advantage to having it designed for the iOS app template. They've since consolidated a lot of KWGN's online presence into KDVR's, so the current app icon is this inelegant thing:

35830573885_90bdc26b77.jpg

And now that Twitter has gone to the circle design for profile photos, it doesn't fit very well in there either. Oh! And their Facebook page has another variation of the logo. So much for quality control.

The graphics aren't the greatest, but it's a Tribune station. They're hit or miss when the stations design their own stuff. The old stuff was arguably better, but this stuff is a bit more colorful.

Well they just lost one of their creative producer and editor to help launch that show based out of KUSA that's live to the nation.

Well they just lost one of their creative producer and editor to help launch that show based out of KUSA that's live to the nation.

They also have lost their ND, too. FTVLive reports she's crossing the street to be ND at the hot mess known as KMGH.

They also have lost their ND, too. FTVLive reports she's crossing the street to be ND at the hot mess known as KMGH.

Fascinating! Seeing as she came from KOMO while they were bought out by Sinclair, it's quite a statement that she'd rather work at the KMGH madhouse than at a Sinclair shop. A shame, as it seems like KDVR and KWGN are starting to pick up some steam.

That would be Holly Gauntt. She was the woman that came to KWGN CW2 and KDVR FOX31 from KOMO ABC4. Gauntt is much better off at KWGN and KDVR, because from what I've read in the Sinclair post, CW2 and FOX31 will remain Tribune-owned duopoly. I can see why Gauntt came to Denver, because Sinclair is her previous employer KOMO ABC4.

Besides, KWGN and KDVR is picking up momentum in its newscasts, so why would Gauntt leave that Tribune duopoly for ABC7? If Sinclair taking over CW2 and FOX31 is what she's worried about, then she can put that worry to rest. Because the government might not allow Sinclair to go through with taking over ALL of Tribune stations.

• 2 weeks later...
That would be Holly Gauntt. She was the woman that came to KWGN CW2 and KDVR FOX31 from KOMO ABC4. Gauntt is much better off at KWGN and KDVR, because from what I've read in the Sinclair post, CW2 and FOX31 will remain Tribune-owned duopoly. I can see why Gauntt came to Denver, because Sinclair is her previous employer KOMO ABC4.

Besides, KWGN and KDVR is picking up momentum in its newscasts, so why would Gauntt leave that Tribune duopoly for ABC7? If Sinclair taking over CW2 and FOX31 is what she's worried about, then she can put that worry to rest. Because the government might not allow Sinclair to go through with taking over ALL of Tribune stations.

Says who? The FCC and DOJ will force this through AND not even force any divestures beyond the bare minimum.

Her departure was of sound judgment.

Sound judgement and also serendipitous that there would be an open ND position at a fixer upper station literally across the street with an otherwise decent owner. I have never worked at Sinclair, but I know many people who do, and not all of them have that luxury of being able to walk across the street for the same job.

Losing Gauntt was a hit for morale over there. She was the best ND either of those stations have seen in a long time. The crew they brought in after the Fox sale and merger set both stations pretty far back. The CNBC guy they brought in after that set them back on the right course, but he didn't move the needle too much. I have some reservations as to whether or not the Sinclair/Tribune thing will go all the way through, though there aren't a lot of concrete reasons to think that it won't happen. I can't imagine anyone would want to take that ND opening anytime soon.

Archived