KWGN Premieres Regressive Graphics and Locals Only

ABC 7 Denver

Starting Monday, KWGN premiered 'new' graphics (circa iMovie 2006) and Stephen Arnold's Locals Only package. Insider information also confirms that KWGN will be getting WPIX 11's most recent set. Overall, Denver has dropped from top 20 market branding to Lower 50.

http://kwgn.com/2016/09/12/police-respond-to-death-investigation-in-northeast-denver/#ooid=U1OG91NTE6nnHx1NYDKX0K9uDWgiPbcq

Wow, I just checked it out and you're right... what a disaster! The old graphics and logo were such much better. Now as far as the set is concerned, anything else would be an improvement over the amateur look they have now...

The old colors were nicer in the KWGN logo, but the Colorado state flag nod is nice.

Wow, I just checked it out and you're right... what a disaster! The old graphics and logo were such much better. Now as far as the set is concerned, anything else would be an improvement over the amateur look they have now...

Talking with the former CSD, they only truly had enough money for 1 set, but were able to somehow eek out two.

It's nice to see management finally do something with KWGN and treat it as something other than a footnote, but it still doesn't look like they have a clear strategy with what they're doing. It seems like they're making a lot of changes with no cohesive idea of how it will all come together. Then again, this is pretty much status quo for any Tribune-owned CW affiliate that's not named WGN or KTLA...

Oh, and I get what they're trying to do with the Colorado flag, but it's too much. The cool greens said "Colorado" more than whatever this is.

Edit: It looks like KDVR might get some revised graphics too, perhaps? At least the headers in the weather graphics look a little different to me.

Somebody wants to be a Media General staion real badly... ;)

Ikr?

Looks like a mix between the Media General and WMUR graphics.

I get that they are trying to incorporate the Colorado flag colors, but it's too much

I can see the C in KWGN's new logo and I guess they're trying to incorporate that when they're Colorado's Own.

KWGN's Daybreak Open:

I'm glad that Tribune is treating KWGN like its own thing rather than KDVR's b*tch. However, Tribune might've taken the "Colorado's Own" tag a little to far with that logo. While not awful, these graphics make KWGN feel a little smaller market than it should be.

Sure, it's not great, but we've also seen much, much worse:

29684742145_2065311a83_z.jpg

Those SportsCenter ripoffs! What an awful time.

KWGN being KDVR's b*tch never sat well with me. You know if the network affiliations were reversed it would be the other way around.

I'm glad that Tribune is treating KWGN like its own thing rather than KDVR's b*tch. However, Tribune might've taken the "Colorado's Own" tag a little to far with that logo. While not awful, these graphics make KWGN feel a little smaller market than it should be.

I know it doesn't mean much but KWGN should get some love from Tribune considering they owned KWGN long before KDVR (even though KDVR operated KWGN). It's been said before here that station ownership longevity doesn't mean much.

Honestly, if there's any way to recall the Colorado flag, or even the Denver municipal flag, without being too on-the-nose or awkward, their pre-WB logo does it best:

jWI3uYF.png

(This might not be a wholly accurate recreation - adjusting the "rays" is tricky!)

For a "regressive" look, it's still infinitely better than, say... WGHP.

Why didn't KWGN take FOX back in 1987? I understand why WGN, KTLA, and WPIX didn't take it, but Denver never had a Metromedia station so Fox was up for grabs for KWGN.

Picking up the Fox affiliation would have cost KWGN it's cable superstation status.

While nowhere near the national superstation status WGN-TV or WTBS enjoyed, it's footprint of translators and cable company relays extended well beyond Denver, in multiple markets that would also have a future Fox affiliate. It wasn't worth it.

It's also why WUAB didn't pick up Fox in 1986, as Gaylord had piped in WUAB to cable providers throughout Ohio and adjacent states.

Archived