Oldest graphics still in use?

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What year did 'JZ adopt their current package?

It's a mixed answer. The package of which the current look was based off of dates back to 2003, but even then used the 1998-era package for inspiration. It's been heavily modified over and over again (especially with the HD switch) to the point where KC Robertson is treating it almost as a palimpsest.

As for JZ's ever-distorting usage of Helvetica, I'll cite this classic post:

20317110410_c4faab30fc_z.jpg

I wanted to see how much Helvetica can be stretched in Photoshop...

It's a mixed answer. The package of which the current look was based off of dates back to 2003, but even then used the 1998-era package for inspiration. It's been heavily modified over and over again (especially with the HD switch) to the point where KC Robertson is treating it almost as a palimpsest.

As for JZ's ever-distorting usage of Helvetica, I'll cite this classic post:

Well, the Weather graphics aren't too far off!WJZ_Extended_Forecast-still.jpg

I know that KTXL's Weather graphics date back to 2009. KTSF still uses their 2008 package even though their not in HD anyway. and KBRR/KVRR (even though they have a different theme they use) according to Southern NMSA they are STILL using the Fox 1998 Affiliate theme in their opens which has been in use since 2000.

WJZ needs a MAJOR overhaul. Even WVIT mentioned earlier in this thread looks and sounds more modern than WJZ.

I've followed WJZ's Twitter, and a couple of 'here's what we're working on' videos from their morning team seem to use a font more appropriate for a "BIFF!" caption in a comic strip and seem to be shot and edited on an iPad in the field using the front-facing camera and some kind of program bought on the App Store for cheap with gaudy fonts. It kind of makes it jarring when they were talking about three people who perished in a housefire and you have such a horrid font choice to describe it.

KBRR/KVRR (even though they have a different theme they use) according to Southern NMSA they are STILL using the Fox 1998 Affiliate theme in their opens which has been in use since 2000.

They stopped using the fox '98 theme in 2015 when they dropped the Fox News branding in favor of KVRR Local News branding. The NMSA never updated that the theme was no longer in use. Pretty sure KVRR was the last station using that old theme

They stopped using the fox '98 theme in 2015 when they dropped the Fox News branding in favor of KVRR Local News branding. The NMSA never updated that the theme was no longer in use. Pretty sure KVRR was the last station using that old theme

I thought I read somewhere a while back that the old Fox 1998 theme is available as production music. Is that true?

• 2 weeks later...

They may have changed the fonts, but WLUC is still using this ancient-looking weather graphic somewhere (the rest of the package is, otherwise, a downgraded version of the old WSTM graphics). The Sinclair graphics might have been a much-needed improvement, although Gray might provide a decent upgrade in the future)

AIBA4lJ.jpg

vxOBzz0.jpg

They may have changed the fonts, but WLUC is still using this ancient-looking weather graphic somewhere (the rest of the package is, otherwise, a downgraded version of the old WSTM graphics). The Sinclair graphics might have been a much-needed improvement, although Gray might provide a decent upgrade in the future)

AIBA4lJ.jpg

vxOBzz0.jpg

WYTV even used these in late 90s into early 2000s.

AIBA4lJ.jpg

vxOBzz0.jpg

Oh god, I remember WTXF having those tube things way back in 1999/2000...

AIBA4lJ.jpg

vxOBzz0.jpg

WPTY (now WATN) had something very similar to this back in the late 90s.

• 2 weeks later...
I think we might have a winner...

http://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/local-news/dot-operations-center-in-full-swing-on-thanksgiving

Behold WIVT...still using the Ackerley package...

As seen in 2003. :eek:

Not sure how long these date back. 98/99??

I'm going to guess from the lower-thirds that this is from the same company who designed WAGT's late 90s package. (Was it TVBD?)

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure! Must have been recently.

Regarding KIEM

Hell hath frozen over. New talent open, new lower thirds, but with the same tired OTS and horrible production music. And they are using Calibri as the font. The set also has not been modified since installed circa 1996.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived