Oldest graphics still in use?

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they also began presenting the news in HD. You knew that was going to happen at some point; HD was a gleam in planners' eyes when TVbD created this set in 1996. Apparently it happened around December 15!

I'm amazed the logo survived intact. They have a few applications of it on their social page, which aren't very consistent.

It's also interesting to see they've kept the very TVbD-esque practice of one-line mini chyrons. A lot of TVbD graphics packages from the 90s and early 2000s did that, like the one WIVT had. (

as examples)

This was the last WIVT story with the TVbD set: http://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/local-news/local-students-connect-rights-to-responsibilities-on-world-human-rights-day/618939521

And this was its replacement: http://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/local-news/ithaca-officer-makes-arrest-saves-christmas/620779990

It's also interesting to see they've kept the very TVbD-esque practice of one-line mini chyrons. A lot of TVbD graphics packages from the 90s and early 2000s did that, like the one WIVT had. (
as examples)

Actually that feature has been used by the other stations who used it as well. Right down to its originator;

RqBiPtg.jpg

Actually that feature has been used by the other stations who used it as well. Right down to its originator;

Could they have the words "Local 12" in any more places on there?

That's also a case where TVbD introduced the tactic, for sure. TVbD absolutely loved it, and WKRC loved them too with several packages coming from them. (More examples: KFMB,

) It's actually a great idea because it reduces the amount of visual clutter on screen.

WKRC was where it started...It was originally called "texta". It seemed that Newport Television were the ones who spread the concept widely around their stations, and when Nexstar bought WPTY and rechristened it as WATN, they acquired WKRCs package and sent it off to some of their own stations.

On the Sinclair end of the Newport divestitures, WHP dropped it soon after, and stations like WHAM, WPMI and WKRC kept it until they were "Sinclair-run" or launched their current look (WKRC).

Regarding KIEM

Hell hath frozen over. New talent open, new lower thirds, but with the same tired OTS and horrible production music. And they are using Calibri as the font. The set also has not been modified since installed circa 1996.

Ugh, Calibri is the worst font ever to exist!

• 2 months later...
WKRC was where it started...It was originally called "texta". It seemed that Newport Television were the ones who spread the concept widely around their stations, and when Nexstar bought WPTY and rechristened it as WATN, they acquired WKRCs package and sent it off to some of their own stations.

On the Sinclair end of the Newport divestitures, WHP dropped it soon after, and stations like WHAM, WPMI and WKRC kept it until they were "Sinclair-run" or launched their current look (WKRC).

Wow, I missed this (seeing another WIVT-related item brought me here). Never knew it had a name, but indeed there are a couple of contemporary references to Texta.

Meanwhile in sports, MASN's graphics also seem pretty old. Their last notable update were in 2010, and that was to change the scoreboard to emulate the then-new ESPN corner box, but it was the same style. Given this is the same market as WJZ we're talking about here...

Meanwhile in sports, MASN's graphics also seem pretty old. Their last notable update were in 2010, and that was to change the scoreboard to emulate the then-new ESPN corner box, but it was the same style. Given this is the same market as WJZ we're talking about here...

I for sure thought they were going to get new graphics since they received a new production truck for this season. I'm sure they'll try to squeeze out an extra few years out of this graphics package before they finally do retire it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after a brief trip to Richmond yesterday, I can confirm that WRLH is still using Daily News and the same Sinclair Graphics from back in 2006, albeit in HD...

I guess that WWBT hasn't been pushed to upgrade along the way....

BTW, late night weekend newscasts are ungodly boring - 1 anchor reading every story - only one story covered by a reporter - everything else was the anchor reading over the video. I'm looking at you, WRIC...

Jim

Well, after a brief trip to Richmond yesterday, I can confirm that WRLH is still using Daily News and the same Sinclair Graphics from back in 2006, albeit in HD...

I guess that WWBT hasn't been pushed to upgrade along the way....

Jim

Quick correction - there has been one change: the font was Helvetica and is now Franklin Gothic (just found some 2008 video footage online), I guess that probably came with WWBT's transition to HD (Character Generator change that probably didn't include Helvetica...). Otherwise, the gradients and L3s look the same...

WRLH 2008:

[GALLERY=media, 1011]WRLH-2008 by compubit posted Jul 2, 2017 at 9:38 PM[/GALLERY]

WRLH 2017:

[GALLERY=media, 1012]WRLH-2017 by compubit posted Jul 2, 2017 at 9:39 PM[/GALLERY]

BTW, late night weekend newscasts are ungodly boring - 1 anchor reading every story - only one story covered by a reporter - everything else was the anchor reading over the video. I'm looking at you, WRIC...

That's definitely the Young/Media General template for weekend news still at WRIC; WBAY is trying to get out of it themselves under Gray but they had a promo a few weeks ago where the anchor had the line 'get your news, sports and weather, tonight at 10!' on a very slow Sunday night. And most of the stories are just best-ofs of the week or public information pieces.

The backgrounds have all of the fuzziness of an upconverted image...

J

Yeah, that package really came in at the very start of HD news graphics being made. (Though some efforts in that space had been conducted as early as the end of the 90s.)

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for them to get the new graphics and music. I've been saying this a lot on this forum and I'll say it again: WRLH, it's time to let the old graphics and music go!! They're like the WJZ of the group.

(Oh, God. Can't believe I said that...)

So I found this while rooting through the Internet Archive...

dExHxED.png

Looks like TVbD originated the concept and the term.

I have a feeling TVbD used WGHP as the first station for the texta concept. This video was right as Fox took over.

Texta is still used by WGHP to this day, having been utilized on every single graphics package since the TVbD look.

I have a feeling TVbD used WGHP as the first station for the texta concept. This video was right as Fox took over.

Texta is still used by WGHP to this day, having been utilized on every single graphics package since the TVbD look.

The first Texta package was WKRC, if you look up. TVbD spread the concept to other stations they serviced. It looks like the philosophy has hung on long after its graphics at some stations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived