New Graham Media graphics debut on KPRC/Houston

Greggo

Now rumors on a different forum say that WDIV is considering dropping "Local 4" and going back to just "Channel 4".

The fact that this has popped up now seems to suggest that they might be doing it when the new graphics debut, although the people in the thread don't seem to know about them...

If they follow through, I bet you they'll go back to something like WDIV News 4

It either has to be Channel 4 News or News 4, as noted. Ever since WDIV changed their logo, they never seemed to embrace the "Local" branding compared to years prior.

WKMG now has the new Graham Media Group graphics, unfortunately the music is still the same.

So are the talent bumpers - still using the previous graphics. And their weather graphics look slightly sloppy (they're using Arial because the computers don't have Gotham installed).

Basically, all the Graham stations have the new graphics except WJXT. I checked.

I haven't checked WPLG yet since I don't watch them but I'll check them soon to see but my guess is that they don't since they're not a part of Graham Media Holdings anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
WDIV News 4 sounds ok, but What about "WDIV Channel 4 News"? And in my opinion, I still say Graham should sell WDIV and KPRC to NBCUniversal.

I don't see Graham selling WDIV it makes the most $$$ out of the chain and I think it's the company flagship station. Yes, the logo sucks, but if they do dump "Local 4 " branding then go back to NEWSBEAT which they had during the 90s, and that was awesome sauce back then. However there several different branding they could use.

-NEWSBEAT at (whatever time of airing)

- WDIV Channel 4 Detroit's 6pm News

- ONLY ON 4 at 6pm

- The News on 4

Yes, WDIV the only one station in the company to use the local branding, but I don't want them going back to NEWS 4.

What about FIRST 4 Local News at 6:00? (News Branding) WDIV-Channel 4 (general branding)

I just like that WDIV/Channel 4 has always been different never cookie cutter (until now) but their approach has always been different and has been able to battle with WXYZ.

It either has to be Channel 4 News or News 4, as noted. Ever since WDIV changed their logo, they never seemed to embrace the "Local" branding compared to years prior.

Channel 4 News is not bad, but what about Channel 4 Local News. At one time they went by LOCAL FIRST NEWS. They love using LOCAL in their station identity in the last 20 years.

However there several different branding they could use.

-NEWSBEAT at (whatever time of airing)

- WDIV Channel 4 Detroit's 6pm News

- ONLY ON 4 at 6pm

- The News on 4

... At one time they went by LOCAL FIRST NEWS. They love using LOCAL in their station identity in the last 20 years.

Newsbeat is the only one in that list that makes a lick of sense.

BTW, WJXT is using the new graphics now; I did notice them using Aerial for a Breaking News Alert open the other day (a bad omen for the WJXT mnemonic?); I've yet to see them with a proper open.

How did they get the graphics if they're not even owned by Graham anymore?

Because WPLG is still sleeping with her ex (Graham), even though she's got a new [rich,old] man (Berkshire/Hathaway).

Bingo. That was only supposed to last two years but it seems the agreement has been extended.

It's gonna be cheaper for WPLG to continue to contract with Graham Media than it would be for them to hire an entire art department of their own. I'd expect this arrangement to stick around for the long run.

• 3 months later...

WSLS has now made the upgrade to the new look. Very impressive...better than their last package and WORLDS better than their prior on-air look (before the WNCN package).

Graham buying them away from Nexstar has been a blessing and hopefully put them in an advantage over WSET and WDBJ, considering they've been sucked up by Gray and Sinclair.

WSLS has now made the upgrade to the new look. Very impressive...better than their last package and WORLDS better than their prior on-air look (before the WNCN package).

Graham buying them away from Nexstar has been a blessing and hopefully put them in an advantage over WSET and WDBJ, considering they've been sucked up by Gray and Sinclair.

Considering they have long been the 3rd place station in the market, they actually look like a major market station now. Is it "too much" for Roanoke though?

I do think WDIV needs to get the iconic 1980s/90s logo back though.

Archived