NBC Updates West Capitol Hill Studio

rkolsen

NBC has updated their West Capitol Hill which was last updated four years ago for President Obama's second inauguration. The studios been used for a variety of NBCU shows including NBC Nightly News, Noticiero Telemundo, MSNBC and is available for outside hire. It is used for TVOne's News One Now and for ITV's US election night coverage.

Here's a preview of the set for Greta Van Sustren's new show For The Record.

[MEDIA=twitter]818238553616420864[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]817821916509704192[/MEDIA]

I really dislike this update - I thought it was fine the way it was.

Previously:

[MEDIA=twitter]492669796131938304[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]492671599242248192[/MEDIA]

• 1 month later...
This looks like the studio NBC news used back in 2000 for the inauguration

Good catch. Maybe it's the camera angle but it also looks like the studio is on a different floor of the building. Normally you can see the entire dome but here it's cut off.

• 2 months later...

Greta posted this Instagram picture from the West Capitol Hill studios. Apparently a new studio is under construction. She says it was a new studio under construction and her show is coming from the cramped studio that Morning Joe came from (as seen above). This image doesn't appear to have the big column that is visible in her normal studio.

[MEDIA=instagram]BT73FGpDF3I[/MEDIA]

• 4 weeks later...

So this is kind of confusing here. A new West Capitol Hill studio appears to have debuted this AM on today. It looks like it has a mirror version of the previous desk but with LED wall tiles.

Meanwhile the studio that Greta vacated and said was under construction appears to be the same on air. So who knows what happened there.

IMG_3775.thumb.jpg.2edabedff2ee787510ecf9b9f06f69bd.jpg

Edit: As I write this it appears they decided to mimic the current MSNBC studio 3A will LED video walls on three sides.

IMG_3777.thumb.jpg.38a7d46a6f6f70b7d000acf33b589535.jpg

It appears that Hardball has moved into this studio now ditching their old studio on the NBC 4/MTP building across town. Greta appears to be using the smaller Capital Hill studio now.

Now they need to update the other one!

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/06/09/nbc-news-updates-capitol-hill-studio/

Here's what it looks like now folks. Interesting update for sure

Imo, Adding the led walls devalues the view of the capitol from the real window. I'm not sure if its the LED or the pictures they are using, but the graphics have a blue tint to them. Although this update is a good step up from the rock once present.

I miss the amazing view they had when anchoring from the rooftop overlooking the White House.

Does anyone know how many studios NBC has in this building? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the new updates.

Imo, Adding the led walls devalues the view of the capitol from the real window. I'm not sure if its the LED or the pictures they are using, but the graphics have a blue tint to them. Although this update is a good step up from the rock once present.

I miss the amazing view they had when anchoring from the rooftop overlooking the White House.

Does anyone know how many studios NBC has in this building? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the new updates.

It appears they have two multiperson studios and a few insert studios for talking heads. I believe they have a large space on the eighth floor of 400 N Capitol Street NW that's used for those purposes. Fox News and C-SPAN are also based in that building.

The office building is such a prime location that they (both NBC and Fox) erected a two story portable structure on the roof for live shots of their partners and affiliates. They even had to set up imsultsted and heated tents as workspace.

It's a shame that they covered up two of the windows. Maybe with the LED walls they can be in view. I imagine the LED walls are also used for quick and easy change over betwmeen uses. Shows from other networks use the studio - Roland Martin's use it regularly.

According to a Politico report in April it stated that NBC may have been looking to either move their bureau or parts of it to the site. I'm wondering if this may be a permanent move or a temporary one. In an article a year or two ago the head of the NBC Owned Stations group mentioned that they were planning in renovating their Nebraska Avenue complex in the coming years. I don't believe there is enough swing space in the WRC building handle moving people around.

Archived