NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

I'm too lazy to lookup the Spewtum cable guide...but I bet 4 is available if someone really wants it.

TitanTV says it's 4SD/YurView California on there too. On that system, 14 and 18 are not available (HSN, Estrella TV) but 12 (nonstop infomercials) and 19 (public access channel?) are. KZSD occupies 15 on both systems (and U-verse as well).

Is the channel formerly known as 4SD the only case where a YurView channel is carried on a non-Cox system?

I also checked AT&T U-verse, even though it's probably moribund. They actually have XHAS on 4 right now. 13 and 17 are open, and 19 is infomercials. (XHDTV is on 25 on that system for who knows why).

They will also need to get on the Mexican cable systems on the Tijuana side. There's a new guideline coming into effect on March 21 on how to place TV stations by virtual channel on cable systems, and since we're talking TJ where only two networks are in their national positions, I have no idea how that will look — or if any non-broadcast channels (read: US stations) can exist in the same low range as the Mexican locals.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just throwing this out there, but who's to say that KFMB isn't looking to park the CW station on channel 4? That would really throw a wrench into things, especially if the negotiations for taking over channel 6, fail.

Just throwing this out there, but who's to say that KFMB isn't looking to park the CW station on channel 4? That would really throw a wrench into things, especially if the negotiations for taking over channel 6, fail.

Cue XETV switching over to Univision!

I think if XETV were to go to Univision we would have heard it by now!

I don't think they can legally announce anything to that effect until the affiliation agreement is close to expiring. IIRC, that won't be until 2020. Raymie might know for sure.

I don't think they can legally announce anything to that effect until the affiliation agreement is close to expiring. IIRC, that won't be until 2020. Raymie might know for sure.

I'm keeping my money on "Univision 6" for 2020.

Now lets show those east coast TVNT'ers just how good us West Coast TVNT'ers are at speculation.

Remember how bad they screwed up the Boston NBC predictions?

(we can give Raymie a pass to be on our side for this round of predictions.)

Let's show them who rules......bwaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!!

(One bozo actually thought WGBH would be the new NBC Boston ...sheesh!)

2021. From the Entravision 10-Q:

Substantially all of our television stations are Univision- or UniMás-affiliated television stations. Our network affiliation agreements with Univision provide certain of our owned stations the exclusive right to broadcast Univision's primary network and UniMás network programming in their respective markets. These long-term affiliation agreements each expire in 2021, and can be renewed for multiple, successive two-year terms at Univision's option, subject to our consent.

I'm keeping my money on "Univision 6" for 2020.

Now lets show those east coast TVNT'ers just how good us West Coast TVNT'ers are at speculation.

Remember how bad they screwed up the Boston NBC predictions?

(we can give Raymie a pass to be on our side for this round of predictions.)

Let's show them who rules......bwaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!!

(One bozo actually thought WGBH would be the new NBC Boston ...sheesh!)

Does Arizona count as the West Coast? I mean, I'm on Pacific time two-thirds of the year...

I say no on Univision to XETV, and I'll tell you why.

Entravision is too important to Univision. and I do not think Univision wants to endanger Entravision. UCI lets Entravision operate some of its stations (Albuquerque, Boston, Denver, Orlando, Tampa and Washington, D.C.). A severed relationship between the two parties would be damaging for the network.

Also, Univision is too important to Entravision: it handles its national sales and retrans consent, and it owns 10% of the company — shares for which an entire special share class (U) exists to permit the stake under FCC regulations:

Univision currently owns approximately 10% of our common stock on a fully-converted basis. Our Class U common stock held by Univision has limited voting rights and does not include the right to elect directors.

Does Arizona count as the West Coast? I mean, I'm on Pacific time two-thirds of the year...

Entravision is too important to Univision. and I do not think Univision wants to endanger Entravision. UCI lets Entravision operate some of its stations (Albuquerque, Boston, Denver, Orlando, Tampa and Washington, D.C.). A severed relationship between the two parties would be damaging for the network.

Also, Univision is too important to Entravision: it handles its national sales and retrans consent, and it owns 10% of the company — shares for which an entire special share class (U) exists to permit the stake under FCC regulations:

Valid points. However, this is only one station/market we're dealing with. Now if this was a strategy that Univision is planning to employ (take affiliations away), then it would be a whole different ballgame. But the fact of the matter is that a change in one market will not screw up the working relationship that both companies have with one another.

Also, Televisa is in the picture. They don't exactly like to play by the rules, nor do they like to be told what to do. If and when Entravision starts to squawk, you can surely bet Televisa will put them in their place. There are many ways that Univision/Televisa can compensate Entravision for a potential loss of an affiliation...

The plan could also be to upgrade XHBJ to HD or shut it down and then make either Gala TV on XETV or Canal 5 going to 6.1.

XHBJ is not owned by Televisa itself. It is owned by Grupo Cadena (which owns 98.9 FM and 800 and 1550 AM in Tijuana, plus stations in Mexicali and Ensenada); the concessionaire is Cadena CEO Mario Enrique Mayans Concha.

The plan could be to have Gala TV and Canal 5 on XETV right? Both would be in HD?

There is a weird catch. Mexican technical guidelines technically no longer permit dual HD subchannels on stations, at least according to how I read the new IFT technical guidelines for DTV that came out in the final days of 2016. If they wanted to make a change, that would have to be factored in. I imagine XETV is basically grandfathered.

Also, a change to a subchannel must get approved by the IFT commissioners.

When you combine SD with TJ you end up with a top 10 market.

There is no demand in the US for canal 5...and Gala is already on cable in SD.

I just don't see Televisa ditching the viewers on the USA side in favor for canal 5 long term.

Keep in mind the proposed Univision IPO is in the mix...I can't see Televisa pussing out.

FOX didn't seem to care when they yanked the affil years ago...what makes anyone think televisa cannot pull the same thing.

Remember: We are dealing with Mexican contract law...not USA civil law.

When you combine SD with TJ you end up with a top 10 market.

There is no demand in the US for canal 5...and Gala is already on cable in SD.

I just don't see Televisa ditching the viewers on the USA side in favor for canal 5 long term.

Keep in mind the proposed Univision IPO is in the mix...I can't see Televisa pussing out.

FOX didn't seem to care when they yanked the affil years ago...what makes anyone think televisa cannot pull the same thing.

Remember: We are dealing with Mexican contract law...not USA civil law.

No way they back out now.

There's no such thing as Loyalty in Televisa's vocabulary.

It's going to be Gala TV or Canal 5. Apparently XHBJ is still carrying Gala TV in SD. Not great.

The plan could also be to upgrade XHBJ to HD or shut it down and then make either Gala TV on XETV or Canal 5 going to 6.1.

Since November 2014 XHBJ-TDT is airing televisa´s Gala tv in HD. Though, unlike to XHUAA and XETV-TDT 6-2, XHBJ-TDT doesn´t broadcast Gala tv 24 hours (from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.).

Since November 2014 XHBJ-TDT is airing televisa´s Gala tv in HD. Though, unlike to XHUAA and XETV-TDT 6-2, XHBJ-TDT doesn´t broadcast Gala tv 24 hours (from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.).

OK, so they're finally in HD. At least Cadena did *something*. (I've long been surprised they haven't attempted a TV newscast on XHBJ.)

Gala has been on COX (N.County) on 64 for years and years directly from the network.

Gala has been on COX (N.County) on 64 for years and years directly from the network.

Galavisión or Gala TV? Two different services. The former is a US cable network.

They also have two different logos:

qlnkXHo8.jpg

vs.

gala-tv-logo.png

Galavision

Alright. As if that weren't confusing enough, up until 2012 or 2013 Gala TV was *also* named Galavisión. It's enough to make your head spin!

The former (Galavisión) is on cable in the US. The latter (Gala TV) is what XHBJ airs and what might be on the docket for XETV.

On another matter...

They will also need to get on the Mexican cable systems on the Tijuana side. There's a new guideline coming into effect on March 21 on how to place TV stations by virtual channel on cable systems, and since we're talking TJ where only two networks are in their national positions, I have no idea how that will look — or if any non-broadcast channels (read: US stations) can exist in the same low range as the Mexican locals.

I don't have the Izzi Tijuana lineup, but I do have the one for Matamoros and Reynosa which would be in this exact situation. As I suspected, the US networks (with the exception of Fox, because XHRIO) got kicked to the 90s... It says something that the only channels below 70 are locals and required-carriage national public broadcasters.

Alright. As if that weren't confusing enough, up until 2012 or 2013 Gala TV was *also* named Galavisión. It's enough to make your head spin!

The former (Galavisión) is on cable in the US. The latter (Gala TV) is what XHBJ airs and what might be on the docket for XETV.

Oh for crying out loud!

My head already spins on it's own.

But it gives me a chance to ask...

When did someone decide that there was a sudden need for all this domestic Mexican TV in San Diego? Don't they get canal 5 in TJ already?

Second point...

The very important observation my lil chick-adees...

Where is the promotion for this new XETV offering? I would think there would be promos, internet and print coming out our asses. 20 days till "launch" and no promo campaign ?

Am I missing something?

I was in TJ yesterday and nobody said nothing to old Eattty about this new venture. No billboards along Via Rapida or Paseo De Los Heros. Not even a web address on a strippers butt during the donkey show.

The new venture we would assume would be a big friggin deal....right?

XETV CW6 is on rear of most the buses in North San Diego county. Why no bus ads?

The thing about the Univision 6 proposal is a good solid marketing plan that is being dictated by Televisa. Nobody else. On Mexican terms...not USA style.

If Televisa is NOT considering the Univison 6 Plan based on the Univision IPO...then they are complete idiots.

Yes...the Univision IPO has to line up with the Televisa and /FCC proposals.

I'm also a big fan of Telemundo 4 speculation based on the recent COX / 4SD branding or debranding.

Also based on the fact that that channel can also be bought with the right amount of NBC cash.

...and if KFMB ends up securing 6 for the CW then I would have also expected promos....or was that channel already decided while my heaD WAS SPINNING????

It's ain't costing NOTHING to camp canal 5 on XETV (and digi subs) and keep in mind the ONLY thing holding that 6 slot from the predators, is cold hard(American ra ra) cash.

Last...

Where are the sales weasels with the new rate card?

Remember all you new people ...

XETV is not "Must Carry"...so the only thing holding that channel on COX,Spewtum, Dish and Direct is money...and not the FCC regs.

Archived