NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

What a clusterf*ck. If enough people keep jumping ship at 6, then they'd have no choice but to shut the news operations down--unless they're willing to hire more people.

On the flip side a spanish news operation out of XETV would most likely debut as the #1 newscast in the market.

Or....it's gonna be a real good fight between whoever and Telemundo.

That would be cartel level stuff.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't find the duration of KBNT's affiliation contract with Univision.

Here you go. According to the 10K filing linked (under Item 1 "Business" ), Entravision's contract with Univision (which I assume also includes KBNT) expires in 2021.

Take that with a grain of salt, however, since it is from 2015

On the flip side a spanish news operation out of XETV would most likely debut as the #1 newscast in the market.

Or....it's gonna be a real good fight between whoever and Telemundo.

That would be cartel level stuff.

Something's gotta give, and quick. Televisa knows that Comcast taking the Telemundo affiliation in-house means expanded resources and a big competition to Univision in the market. Do they sit idly and let the new Telemundo outlet become a major force in the market? Or do they move quickly to stop some of the momentum going forward? Having KBNT/Entravision competing with TSD will only put Televisa in a hole, if and when they decide to take the Univision affiliation in-house.

So on the topic of the new Telemundo San Diego. Do they stick with the current graphics and music, or does anyone think they'll go with something brand new, to separate themselves from XHAS?

So on the topic of the new Telemundo San Diego. Do they stick with the current graphics and music, or does anyone think they'll go with something brand new, to separate themselves from XHAS?

Current graphics. XHAS use the same GFX and Music as the other Telemundo O&O's

Current graphics. XHAS use the same GFX and Music as the other Telemundo O&O's

Oh that I know. But given that they may want to try and differentiate themselves from XHAS, and show that they are the NEW Telemundo outlet, I don't think it makes sense in keeping the same graphics. At the very least, they should modify the package so that the new O&O doesn't have the same graphics as the former in-market affiliate.

Oh that I know. But given that they may want to try and differentiate themselves from XHAS, and show that they are the NEW Telemundo outlet, I don't think it makes sense in keeping the same graphics. At the very least, they should modify the package so that the new O&O doesn't have the same graphics as the former in-market affiliate.

I don't know if this is true but it seems like Artworks releases a new Telemundo package every two years or so.

[ATTACH=full]3594[/ATTACH]

I agree...

I am a fan of this old school look. Notice all the graphic elements are included in the set. No more name and locator chyrons since we have that in the sombreros. Notice the date/year/ bug in the lower right.

Low cost and festive.

Ole!

IMG_4871.jpg.2839bfeae450708342a1ab5d400a6812.jpg

[ATTACH=full]3594[/ATTACH]

I agree...

I am a fan of this old school look. Notice all the graphic elements are included in the set. No more name and locator chyrons since we have that in the sombreros. Notice the date/year/ bug in the lower right.

Low cost and festive.

Ole!

[ATTACH=full]3596[/ATTACH]

Oh look, it's MX President Peña Nieto and his family.

I mistakenly posted this in the XETV thread earlier, so I'm putting it where it belongs...

So someone brought up some other possibilities for XHAS in the Mexico forum I read. Some are DOA, but a few I think are worthy of at least a word (while others are more worthy of chuckles)...

1: Sell to TV Azteca and carry Proyecto 40. Probability: 0%. Azteca doesn't need another station - they have three in Chihuahua and can't figure out how to use them correctly.

2: Affiliate with Univisión or UniMás. Probability: 50%. While we've been talking about Univision potentially being on XETV, let's not forget that Entravision owns a whole bunch of these stations already. It could opt to simulcast KBNT on XHAS, for instance. This relationship runs through the end of 2021, too.

There is the potential that such an affiliation, along with the 49% share of Televisa in Univision, could suck XHAS into the preponderant economic agent category and likely block a potential deal.

3: Affiliate with Estrella TV. Probability: 5%. It'd be a good upgrade signal-wise. Big problem: Liberman owns the San Diego station.

4: Affiliate with Multimedios. Probability: 25%. This is one I've brought up myself, since Multimedios does have a radio station in the market. However, SD/Tijuana is not Monterrey, and their programming might not be a total fit for the market (not to mention there is a 2-hour time difference). They would have to invest in quite a bit of local programming and facilities to make this work.

5. Affiliate with Nuestra Visión, if it comes on the air. Probability: 0%. It appears as though XHDTV may get this instead, probably as a subchannel.

The reason I gave this a round fat 0 anyway is because NV is owned by América Móvil, which is the "preponderant economic agent" in telecommunications. It is prohibited from offering television services for this reason (though web-based services like UnoTV and Claro Video are beyond the reach of that prohibition). They attempted to get in bed with Dish México in 2014, but they had to hide it and it was declared an illegal act. This affiliation might prompt a lot of paperwork problems given we're talking a Mexican station.

6. Become an independent. Probability: 0.1%. Where do you get syndicated/archive programming in Spanish? I have no clue.

7. Become part of the SPR, Mexico's other public broadcaster, which operates multiplex stations with various public TV stations. Probability: 0.1%. The SPR is certainly hungry for border stations, and they've shown a willingness to go sort of head-to-head with Canal Once in terms of transmitter location with recent concession awards in San Luis Potosí, Torreón, Culiacán and Durango. But Entravision wouldn't want to just give up entirely, would they? This would also be the SPR's first station with a commercial concession.

8. Affiliate with Azteca America. Probability: 0.001%. I have no idea when the Scripps affiliation deal with Azteca, inherited from McGraw-Hill, even expires. Additionally, Azteca doesn't have many real affiliates (a lot of entities they effectively control). Would this be kosher given that the station is Mexican?

9. Sell to Televisa and carry FOROtv programs, like some other Televisa Regional stations. Probability: 0%. I don't think the IFT will let the "preponderant economic agent" in broadcasting get its hands on another station.

• 2 weeks later...

So in reading around some forums, it's been mentioned that KNSD added Telexitos as a subchannel. That's in addition to having NBC, and Cozi TV. With no word on where they'll park the new Telemundo affiliation, is it possible that they can cram it on 39 as a subchannel as well without it affecting the PQ? Something seems a bit off, unless they plan on buying a low-power station.

So in reading around some forums, it's been mentioned that KNSD added Telexitos as a subchannel. That's in addition to having NBC, and Cozi TV. With no word on where they'll park the new Telemundo affiliation, is it possible that they can cram it on 39 as a subchannel as well without it affecting the PQ? Something seems a bit off, unless they plan on buying a low-power station.

Great question...I forgot about that little detail.

Whoopsie!

Great question...I forgot about that little detail.

Whoopsie!

Go figure. I haven't been able to see if it's true or not since I watch via cable, but supposedly they have Telexitos in SD and HD.

It's been done before - look at Boston now.

I'll imagine that they'll have a better picture quality on cable with a direct link.

Go figure. I haven't been able to see if it's true or not since I watch via cable, but supposedly they have Telexitos in SD and HD.

I don't think Telexitos is available as an HD channel. Wonder if it's possible that they're running Telexitos in both HD (again like Boston with Cozi before NBC launched) and SD to test things out. When Telemundo launches the HD feed will be replaced leaving the SD feed.

It's been done before - look at Boston now.

I'll imagine that they'll have a better picture quality on cable with a direct link.

I don't think Telexitos is available as an HD channel. Wonder if it's possible that they're running Telexitos in both HD (again like Boston with Cozi before NBC launched) and SD to test things out. When Telemundo launches the HD feed will be replaced leaving the SD feed.

Interesting. I've been trying to find any pending station ownership/license transfers in this market to see if Comcast is in the process of picking up at the very least a LPTV for the new Telemundo, but I can't seem to find that on the FCC's website.

Media Moves has a post on this from Wednesday and suggests the new programming on 33 may be Azteca América. The insider cited in the article says XHAS will remain Spanish.

...and that puts KGTV-Azteca 15 into play somehow...

This stuff can go on for years due to the shear mass of Mexican outlets along the SD/TJ border.

Boy, they're really trying to cram every single channel they can onto KNSD.

No word yet on what will happen to the current Telemundo 33 news team after Entravision’s affiliate deal with Telemundo expires.

Wild guess here.... They'll be laid off.

And I find it interesting that in the end, KFMB and KNSD will have swallowed up two competitors and be [continue to be] the top-two billing stations in the market. Meow.

...and that puts KGTV-Azteca 15 into play somehow...

This stuff can go on for years due to the shear mass of Mexican outlets along the SD/TJ border.

It'd be a bit of a loss for Scripps, but Azteca América has to be less valuable in a border market that already has Azteca 7 and Azteca 13 transmitters. Does it have any...unique programming?

It'd be a bit of a loss for Scripps, but Azteca América has to be less valuable in a border market that already has Azteca 7 and Azteca 13 transmitters. Does it have any...unique programming?

I don't think Scripps cares, considering that they treat it as an afterthought. No unique programming that I know of. They do have a few personalities that occasionally do a news update here and there. Mostly are there for community outreach.

I don't think Scripps cares, considering that they treat it as an afterthought. No unique programming that I know of. They do have a few personalities that occasionally do a news update here and there. Mostly are there for community outreach.

I was primarily curious about Azteca América relative to the Mexican Azteca networks, but that's a good answer. Doesn't seem like it'd be a big loss.

XHAS would definitely be among this network's stronger affiliates but may not be enough to keep the news department around.

Archived