The Walrus is Paul

Eat News

Where the heck is Paul Magers of KCBS:?

Gone...Bye Bye?

Anyone?

FTVLIVE posted a story about this a few days ago basically saying Rick Garcia was moved from mornings to nights and Jeff Michael is doing mornings. Both KCBS and Magers agent says he'll be back in a few weeks:

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/2/1/anchor-bloodbath-at-kcbs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even though it says so, I still hope there's nothing wrong with him, because he's not that old...61 or 62, maybe. Didn't think the industry would lose both Magers brothers in a year.

Jeff Michael's been filling in in the mornings, right?

It feels like he was pushed out. He probably was making a nice chunk of change, and they realized that they could put Rick in Paul's place, for maybe half the salary and ratings wouldn't be affected too much.

"Magers, who will be 63 next month, intended to announce his plans in a recorded segment with co-anchor Pat Harvey during the early evening and late-night newscasts on Wednesday. His retirement at the CBS-owned station, which is known as CBS 2, is effective immediately."

-http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-paul-magers-news-20170329-story.html (Paragraph 2)

Good for him.

He will get to actually enjoy seeing life happen, in real time. The business eats people up...and many don't make it to "the other side" of news.

TV news types are the very last people to ask for help because they think they are prepared for anything and any situation.

Which reminds me....

Shouldn't it be time for KTVU to trot out George Watson... to see if he is still sober 25 years later?

It feels like he was pushed out. He probably was making a nice chunk of change, and they realized that they could put Rick in Paul's place, for maybe half the salary and ratings wouldn't be affected too much.

I think he was making somewhere in the millions for his job, so who knows.

Wouldn't surprise me, honestly. But we all know how CBS operates, so I can't give them the benefit of the doubt as far as this not being a cost-cutting move. And it may be all on him wanting to retire- and hopefully it is that, but the truth of the matter is that they'll be saving a lot of money.

I truly wish him the best in his recovery and retirement. The way this business is heading, he's departing at a good time. Health comes first.

Props to KCBS for not dragging this out until May sweeps to get additional eyeballs. Even though Paul was never a Marc Brown or Chuck Henry in the market, he was a smart guy with quick wit. I will miss him

Archived