KDKA To Get New Weather Graphics

Ryanthenewsgeek

Hello,

I heard on Tuesday from Ron Smiley (morning Meteorologist saying but not too much that they are getting new graphics the current look will stay 99% of the same but maps and others are changing... I hope it's what all of the O&Os have

WCBS

KYW

WBZ Etc.

KDKA uses AccuWeather as well as Baron for their graphics package. I really hope they go with Baron LYNX!

Yeah, I recall they were on Accuweather when I was in the market back in July.

I have yet to meet a meteorologist who liked CinemaLive.

They'll probably end up on WSI like everyone else... They really have a monopoly on the broadcast weather graphics market.

Yeah, I recall they were on Accuweather when I was in the market back in July.

I have yet to meet a meteorologist who liked CinemaLive.

They'll probably end up on WSI like everyone else... They really have a monopoly on the broadcast weather graphics market.

I use LYNX at my shop and absolutely love it. WJZ has it, and if they were to ever switch to the CBS graphics, it wouldn't look bad. (Take notes 'JZ!)

That would be nice. Their weather graphics are the worst in the market. I hate their Weatherbug maps, they are always cluttered and unorganized.

Agreed

I'm Not surprised KDKA is doing this. Their weather graphics are an eyesore compared to WTAE and WPXI.'s coverage. [ATTACH=full]3676[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3677[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3678[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3679[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3680[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3681[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3682[/ATTACH]

I wonder if they're still doing the 5 day or if it's the 7 day like all the O&Os?

Are KDKA's maps similar to WTAE & WPXI's WSI maps or are they all in the style of the Baron VIPIR shown?

I think it's Barron

KDKA uses AccuWeather as well as Baron for their graphics package. I really hope they go with Baron LYNX!

I'm gonna have to check that weather package out

I wonder if they're still doing the 5 day or if it's the 7 day like all the O&Os?
I hope it will be the 7 day, I mostly watch WTAE for weather due to me knowing Mike Harvey since he used to work at WTKR when I lived in Norfolk and he was spot on most of the time. I also love the 8 day forecast WTAE has.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of KDKA's weather graphics, is it just me, or is something wrong with KDKA's Microsoft Surface? It looks like it's broken on the top, and leaking something down the screen.

[ATTACH=full]3717[/ATTACH]

That's typical in LCD screens that are going bad. Eventually someone will get around to replacing it... Maybe... Things move slow in TV world.

Speaking of KDKA's weather graphics, is it just me, or is something wrong with KDKA's Microsoft Surface? It looks like it's broken on the top, and leaking something down the screen.

[ATTACH=full]3717[/ATTACH]

That's typical in LCD screens that are going bad. Eventually someone will get around to replacing it... Maybe... Things move slow in TV world.

I've only seen that in cases where the screen has fallen. I've experienced it twice each time when a monitor was bumped over (once on a desk and the other when I was moving a box and hit the panel).

You would think a commercial display would last longer. I mean my personal TV (a mid level 40" Samsung) has been on for most of the day for the past 8 years and has no defects.

Also it looks very sloppy featuring a bad display. It's one thing if the shot can't be avoided (like a panel behind the desk) but based on the DDG website it looks like it's not in the primary weather shot blocking.

• 1 month later...
KDKA meteorologists have been tweeting updated graphics for the last few days. They must be getting ready to launch. Looks like a WSI system to me. A huge upgrade for them. Check out @ronsmileywx and @verz

May sweeps period starts next Thursday, April 27th.

I can't wait... I hear they're getting the Baron system.

[MEDIA=twitter]855075154917019650[/MEDIA]

Well don't get too excited for a Baron system, because that's a WSI system there. In fact, I'd expect they'll drop VIPIR too when they switch over.

I've heard through a very reliable source that they will have both WSI and Baron LYNX. LYNX will be used for storm tracking, severe weather, etc. While MAX will be the main display system. There are actually several stations that have that type of setup.

This is exciting!

I've heard through a very reliable source that they will have both WSI and Baron LYNX. LYNX will be used for storm tracking, severe weather, etc. While MAX will be the main display system. There are actually several stations that have that type of setup.

[ATTACH=full]3858[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3860[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3861[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3862[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3863[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3864[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3865[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3866[/ATTACH] It's official, KDKA got their new graphics plus a 7 day forecast axed the 5 day and it's official, they are CBS O&O graphics

KDKA 2 time/temperature bug in lower right corner is covering up information on their daily forecasts and seven-day forecasts.

I noticed that right out of the gate. I'm sure by next week they'll get all the bugs fixed.

KDKA 2 time/temperature bug in lower right corner is covering up information on their daily forecasts and seven-day forecasts.

I ddxxxxxxxxxxx

I noticed they're still using the old VIPIR Radar atleast during the 5pm show. #Idontlike

Archived