KMTV Omaha Overhaul

MonkeyFighter

I actually think the logo isn't a half-bad improvement over the old one, especially if they just took off the "News Now" part. But of course, the right way to go would have been to simply steal KYW's logo. The old Park Place set was pretty unsightly too, but I don't think they can get away with that virtual set as a replacement, especially in that large of a market.

Yuck. It looks like they grabbed several of those huge plastic drawers you find at walmart, slapped them together and voila! you got an anchor desk. I'm sure they could have asked around the other Scripps stations to see if they had pieces of an old set they could have refurbished to use as their own.

I was thinking a cheap massage table.

This is KMTV-TV.

KMTV-HD,

and KMTV.com

Baltimore.
Omaha.

Now it's just This is WJZ-TV Baltimore.

The anchor desk isn't virtual. It's just ugly. The backdrop is though.

For some reason the front looks that way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the United States cannot do virtual sets right.

Do you think it's our design standards, cheapness and lack of technical skill locally? The one that WBTV one did looks pretty nice:

[MEDIA=vimeo]141811426[/MEDIA]

There's a brief glimpse about 1:58 in the video.

Some of the network ones used in elections past were good. The Dylan Dreyer E/I show has a simple set that doesn't appear rough.

Seriously, though, how much can they possibly be saving using a virtual set? You still have to have some sort of desk, proper even lighting, enough space to hang a chroma blue or chroma green backdrop, cameras... I'd think that the cost of just doing a couple of flats with some duratrans would be almost negligible. They could even send someone down to Best Buy and pick up a cheap TV if they want something dynamic in the background.

The fact that the logo isn't centered over the time/temp bug REALLY bothers me. That seems like simple graphics design 101 type stuff.

That's been one thing that drives me crazy about the Scripps package. The logos aren't scaled to the rest of the lower third or there's a large transparent space.

The fact that the logo isn't centered over the time/temp bug REALLY bothers me. That seems like simple graphics design 101 type stuff.

In the TV world management rarely cares about good design. I'd not be surprised to hear that the bug was originally just the square 3(CBS eye) logo but the news director or CSD spazzed out that "NEWS NOW" wasn't on it, while the hub rolled their eyes and changed it to shut them up.

Archived