Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple, FOX is 1 million times better then Sinclair.

I'd take a number of Sinclair stations over KTTV. It is a horrible news operation for the #2 market and never improves. Fox destroyed KCOP's news operation and it doesn't even air news anymore. KTTV is an afterthought for anyone looking for news in Los Angeles and their social media does not rival any of the other 4 broadcast outlets in Los Angeles.

I'd take a number of Sinclair stations over KTTV. It is a horrible news operation for the #2 market and never improves. Fox destroyed KCOP's news operation and it doesn't even air news anymore. KTTV is an afterthought for anyone looking for news in Los Angeles and their social media does not rival any of the other 4 broadcast outlets in Los Angeles.

Hello. Pardon me for asking, but does KCOP simuclast breaking news coverage from Fox 11 and Fox News as it happens?

NY Post stated this morning that Sinclair could be ready to accept an agreement with the DOJ to divest 13 TV stations.

They didn't say who they'll divest it to.

They also didn't say which thirteen that the DOJ wants them to sell off. But, the fact that Sinclair is being required to sell off stations makes it less questionable as to whether Makan Delrahim has any independence in the antitrust division. He seems to be treating the Sinclair/Tribune and AT&T/Time Warner deals at least reasonably evenly. I hope those sales to independent buyers include one of the two Oklahoma City duopolies in conflict, as well as the three-station conflicts in St. Louis and the Piedmont Triad, and the four-station conflict in Scranton (the latter might allow Sinclair to keep either WSWB or WQMY, but separate one of them from WOLF and unite the outlier with WNEP).

They'll get WGNO and WNOL, which means that WVUE will return to ABC and they can kiss its resurgence under Benson and Raycom goodbye.

Unless FTS tries to cut a deal with Raycom to flip WVUE to them, and pair it with WNOL, in exchange for Raycom getting WGNO.

If I had to guess on the 6-10 stations, this is what I'd guess are sure bets:

WPHL - creates duopoly with WTXF

KCPQ & KZJO - get their FOX O&O and MyTv duopoly partner

WGNO & WNOL - will become Fox 26 & My38 - sending WVUE to ABC and WUPL to the CW

KWGN & KDVR (KFCT) - Denver (with the slight possibility of them swapping affiliations)

The rest is fair game.

I just hope FOX doesn't buy WSFL. Imagine WSVN ending up the same way WHDH did as an independent.

If the deal goes through that is.

If Fox were to get WFSL, it surely would be to make it a future MyTV station and to pair up it up with a future purchase. Difference in Miami is that Fox would have other plausible options besides WSVN, like WPLG. WPLG is sitting on an island by itself because it is the only TV station owned by its owner. WSVN could affiliate with ABC if that happens.

You think

FOX will get the NOLA station?

I think FOX gets a station in every market where there’s an NFC team and they don’t have one. I think it’s the only way they don’t raise Hell over the deal. The good old “Got mine” mentality.

FOX grabbing WPHL protects their own 10PM news on WTXF and makes approval of the deal way easier to pass regulatory muster given Philly’s size, but I can’t see Sinclair doing it so easily—PA’s an important state for them to be in, and ideally that means every market.

Same deal with WSFL (completely forgot about them!)—FOX has no business being in Miami with SVN as good as it is and no NFC team, and Sinclair needs to be in as much of a swing state as possible.

Raycom still owns a decent number of strong FOX affiliates in the south (notably WBRC) so I could see them kvetching over WVUE, though it’d be a HUGE upgrade for ABC.

I could see FOX taking back one of the Tribune stations in St Louis, with the ABC affiliation (and its news department) moving from KDNL to whatever’s left. Again, potentially good news for ABC there.

If Fox were to get WFSL, it surely would be to make it a future MyTV station and to pair up it up with a future purchase. Difference in Miami is that Fox would have other plausible options besides WSVN, like WPLG. WPLG is sitting on an island by itself because it is the only TV station owned by its owner. WSVN could affiliate with ABC if that happens.

*WSFL. The odds of WSVN affiliating with ABC is unlikely.

Unless FTS tries to cut a deal with Raycom to flip WVUE to them, and pair it with WNOL, in exchange for Raycom getting WGNO.

So would they change call letter and be WVUE ABC 8 & WGNO FOX 26?

I just hope FOX doesn't buy WSFL. Imagine WSVN ending up the same way WHDH did as an independent.

If the deal goes through that is.

Maybe. Or maybe they would get the opposite deal. For me, I would go with either Tenga or (shudder) Nexstar.

So would they change call letter and be WVUE ABC 8 & WGNO FOX 26?

Notice I said "Unless FTS tries to cut a deal with Raycom to flip WVUE to them, and pair it with WNOL, in exchange for Raycom getting WGNO."

That scenario entails WVUE staying a Fox station but as an O&O, WGNO staying with ABC if Fox traded it to Raycom (a deal that Fox could negotiate and land right before the sale announcement or before the sales and trades as a whole are completed) and Fox pulling what LIN Media did during the Media General merger in Mobile by moving WNOL from one duopoly pairing (with WGNO) to another (with WVUE).

Under that scenario, WNOL and WUPL would likely be the ones that would switch affiliations, WUPL becoming a CW affiliate and WNOL becoming a MyNet O&O. It's not impossible, Fox did offer to jettison WPWR to Tribune in a proposed pairing with WGN-TV when it tried (and failed) to buy KCPQ; they even gave up a chance at an O&O in San Francisco's KBHK (KBCW) when it bought Chris-Craft because of the strength of KTVU, which took 12 years for it to finally acquire, as a Fox station.

Notice I said "Unless FTS tries to cut a deal with Raycom to flip WVUE to them, and pair it with WNOL, in exchange for Raycom getting WGNO."

That scenario entails WVUE staying a Fox station but as an O&O, WGNO staying with ABC if Fox traded it to Raycom (a deal that Fox could negotiate and land right before the sale announcement or before the sales and trades as a whole are completed) and Fox pulling what LIN Media did during the Media General merger in Mobile by moving WNOL from one duopoly pairing (with WGNO) to another (with WVUE).

Under that scenario, WNOL and WUPL would likely be the ones that would switch affiliations, WUPL becoming a CW affiliate and WNOL becoming a MyNet O&O. It's not impossible, Fox did offer to jettison WPWR to Tribune in a proposed pairing with WGN-TV when it tried (and failed) to buy KCPQ; they even gave up a chance at an O&O in San Francisco's KBHK (KBCW) when it bought Chris-Craft because of the strength of KTVU, which took 12 years for it to finally acquire, as a Fox station.

That should mean FOX would have to make a deal with Raycom SinClair and Tenga

*WSFL. The odds of WSVN affiliating with ABC is unlikely.

Its highly unlikely. WPLG has been affiliated with ABC since its start and has been one of the strongest ABC affiliates on its roster. Plus, Graham has a very good relationship with ABC and considering Graham still manages WPLG, no changes there anytime soon. Just look at KSAT.

If FOX was to move in South Florida, WSVN will go Independent. Its been there before (when FOX only ran programming on Sunday nights at the time) and it could be done again.

That should mean FOX would have to make a deal with Raycom SinClair and Tenga

Tegna owns WWL-TV, the CBS affiliate, as well as WUPL. WUPL is an affiliate of MyNetworkTV, so they don't necessarily need to buy the rights to the programming service from Tegna; Fox could wait until the contract runs out, before moving swapping affils with WNOL under the scenario.

Why would Raycom cut a deal though? They have a stronger affiliate in WVUE, and if anything ABC is the stronger network right now. Benefits them to hold into WVUE and pick up ABC. Only downside is they lose football.

Whether Raycom is involved or not, I expect WNOL and WUPL to switch affiliations anyway.

Archived