Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like the only markets this would make sense in would be the NFC ones (Los Angeles, Green Bay, New Orleans & Seattle). The rest are AFC markets where the teams air mainly on CBS aside from an occasional inter-conference matchup.

Before I dive too deeply into speculation, this move has the potential of stripping FOX from WVUE and even sending WGN to Fox and WFLD being sacrificed to the Heathens of Hunt Valley...

ABC would love to be back on WVUE

The thing though is that this piece insists on NFL markets, not NFC. That means a whole lot of Fox affiliates are in the picture, including most of the New World set.

Fox is going to have to pony up to buy these stations, as I don't know what they could swap away beyond WOFL/WBRW/WOGX. Possibly could also include some debt relief and a minority investment into SBG for the Tribune buyout and a renegotiated/extended long-term pact for the remaining Fox affiliates.

In any event, this deal is only possible because Paid Off is messing with the ownership cap rules. So instead of one broadcast group grossly over the limit, you now have TWO broadcast groups over the limit.

The thing though is that this piece insists on NFL markets, not NFC. That means a whole lot of Fox affiliates are in the picture, including most of the New World set.

Fox is going to have to pony up to buy these stations, as I don't know what they could swap away beyond WOFL/WBRW/WOGX. Possibly could also include some debt relief and a minority investment into SBG for the Tribune buyout and a renegotiated/extended affiliate pact.

In any event, this deal is only possible because Paid Off is messing with the ownership cap rules. So instead of one broadcast group grossly over the limit, you now have TWO broadcast groups over the limit.

Don't forget after all of this mess we'll have TegnaXNexstar and then possibly GrayXRaycom.

Same here it be odd to see WWMT News on Fox17 or Fox17 News on WWMT. Why I'm against same company owning 2 top 4 stations in the same market unless it's a very small market but at least their will still be 3 TV Station owners Nexstar & TEGNA and not just Sinclair owning all TV stations. But I think this is bad news for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek where the news will be GR centric which for me I don't mind I prefer Grand Rapids news over Kazoo/BC even know I'm from Kazoo only watch WWMT for weather and that is about it.

My money is having Sinclair pull what they did in Mobile, keeping both WXMI and WWMT's news operations, and having WXMI have just Grand Rapids news, and WWMT focus on Kalamazoo/Battle Creek news.

I'll be honest, it really feels like this has been in the works for months. It would give SBG executives an excuse into their secretive stances towards regulators for the obvious divestitures.

Assuming it goes through, the only conflict markets remaining are Wilkes-Barre and OKC, STL would be a question mark... it's no longer an NFL market and may never be one again.

Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox O&Os clear quite a bit of SBG's programming as a condition of such a deal.

I'll be honest, it really feels like this has been in the works for months. It would give SBG executives an excuse into their secretive stances towards regulators for the obvious divestitures.

Assuming it goes through, the only conflict markets remaining are Wilkes-Barre and OKC, STL would be a question mark... it's no longer an NFL market and may never be one again.

Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox O&Os clear quite a bit of SBG's programming as a condition of such a deal.

It also makes the Fox-Ion rumors make sense, too, as a public negotiating tactic.

It also makes the Fox-Ion rumors make sense, too, as a public negotiating tactic.

I've figured that was the case since the day those were announced. FOX figured Sinclair would cave over that tactic and sure enough, that's what appears to have happened.

Seattle may finally get that FOX O&O.

Any idea about WBFF? It's an NFL market but FOX recently sold WUTB (MyNetwork) to Sinclair, and Baltimore's the home market for SBG's headquarters.

WBFF and WPGH, for obvious stations, will be left in place. Ditto with WUTV 29. The latter two have outsourced newscasts but all three have effectively been in the SBG chain for decades.

See... when Fox says "NFL markets," that gives them enough wiggle room to repurchase WJW, WDAF and WITI. They aren't NFC markets but are strong affiliates that Fox went to the trouble of flipping to their network in 1994-1995.

Fox is going to have to pony up to buy these stations, as I don't know what they could swap away beyond WOFL/WBRW/WOGX. Possibly could also include some debt relief and a minority investment into SBG for the Tribune buyout and a renegotiated/extended long-term pact for the remaining Fox affiliates.

KRIV is probably the next most expendable property. Also giving up WOFL means separating it from WOGX or creating a major problem in Gainesville, since they already own two stations there (even if they are all weak compared to WCJB).

KRIV is probably the next most expendable property. Also giving up WOFL means separating it from WOGX or creating a major problem in Gainesville, since they already own two stations there (even if they are all weak compared to WCJB).

Trading both KRIV/KXTH would result in a Houston triopoly for Sinclair. And KTBC isn’t a direct NFL market, but it’s definitely Cowboys country and in the state capital.

However... it’s possible a few MyNet duopoly partners are traded off to Sinclair - KXTH (to pair with KIAH), KDFI (to pair with KDAF) and WPWR (to pair with WGN-TV). Along with WOFL/WBRW/WOGX, Sinclair would get a duopoly partner in those major markets.

Trading both KRIV/KXTH would result in a Houston triopoly for Sinclair. And KTBC isn’t a direct NFL market, but it’s definitely Cowboys country and in the state capital.

However... it’s possible a few MyNet duopoly partners are traded off to Sinclair - KXTH (to pair with KIAH), KDFI (to pair with KDAF) and WPWR (to pair with WGN-TV). Along with WOFL/WBRW/WOGX, Sinclair would get a duopoly partner in those major markets.

Also Fox gets that opportunity to finally shed a certain "9" that's licensed to New Jersey.

WBFF and WPGH, for obvious stations, will be left in place. Ditto with WUTV 29. The latter two have outsourced newscasts but all three have effectively been in the SBG chain for decades.

See... when Fox says "NFL markets," that gives them enough wiggle room to repurchase WJW, WDAF and WITI. They aren't NFC markets but are strong affiliates that Fox went to the trouble of flipping to their network in 1994-1995.

Even if FOX previously owned WJW, WDAF, and WITI... They sold them BECAUSE they were in AFC markets or they were in markets that lacked an NFL team. The fact they still own WOFL to this day blows my mind. It makes zero business sense for them to reacquire any stations, let alone stations in AFC markets because they don't fit the portfolio. I highly doubt that they would be stupid enough to reacquire them. Even if WJW is a strong FOX affiliate, the Cleveland Browns are the worst team in the entire NFL. WITI is a dog of a FOX affiliate. The only one of the three that makes logical sense is WDAF, because it's neither a bad affiliate nor in a market with a bad team.

WBFF likely would never be sold because yes, it is the flagship station for Sinclair. However, WPGH is definitely fair game. Look at what FOX did in Charlotte with WJZY, they're known for creating ground-up news departments. Pittsburgh Steelers have a DEDICATED fan base, which means more eyes on the station, with means more revenue. It makes logical sense for FOX to pursue WPGH.

Just a thought....

Could Fox be pursuing the AFC rights any time soon? Having both conferences on the same network probably wouldn't work too well, especially in markets like New York and Los Angeles.

They have some major holes and mistakes to rectify though....like casting off WFXT to Cox when it could be the home of the Patriots...

After all, CBS was the longtime home of the NFC, only to have FOX snatch it away in 1994. They grabbed the AFC away from NBC 4 years later.

Like I said before....just a thought. The NFL could always throw a wrench in things for their own benefit...

Even if FOX previously owned WJW, WDAF, and WITI... They sold them BECAUSE they were in AFC markets or they were in markets that lacked an NFL team. The fact they still own WOFL to this day blows my mind. It makes zero business sense for them to reacquire any stations, let alone stations in AFC markets because they don't fit the portfolio. I highly doubt that they would be stupid enough to reacquire them.

Those stations were sold ostensibly to finance News Corp’s purchase of Dow Jones. KTVI was an NFC market, and WITI and WGHP were in secondary NFC markets, and those got unloaded. It was done in a way that Fox was assured they would be loyal affiliates for decades thereafter.

And seriously... what is stopping Fox from buying any of these stations back? It is the only real way Sinclair can finalize their purchase of Tribune and resolve a crapton of market conflicts, while potentially benefiting from additional capital raised from those divestitures to Fox.

Even if WJW is a strong FOX affiliate, the Cleveland Browns are the worst team in the entire NFL. WITI is a dog of a FOX affiliate. The only one of the three that makes logical sense is WDAF, because it's neither a bad affiliate nor in a market with a bad team.

I don’t see the win-loss record of a team factoring into this whatsoever. I mean, the Browns haven’t existed as an NFL team since 1995, and it’s still home to a fervent and loyal fan base.

WJW has a strong news product and is one of the best-performing Fox affiliates in the country. It would be insane not to include them in this because of a football team’s poor performance. Remember that Cleveland is stuck with the Browns until at least 2029.

WBFF likely would never be sold because yes, it is the flagship station for Sinclair. However, WPGH is definitely fair game. Look at what FOX did in Charlotte with WJZY, they're known for creating ground-up news departments. Pittsburgh Steelers have a DEDICATED fan base, which means more eyes on the station, with means more revenue. It makes logical sense for FOX to pursue WPGH.

WPGH, WBFF and WTTE are the only three stations I cannot see in any way being a part of this. For all intents and purposes, this is Fox looking at the Tribune stations and cherry-picking what they want.

Just a thought....

Could Fox be pursuing the AFC rights any time soon? Having both conferences on the same network probably wouldn't work too well, especially in markets like New York and Los Angeles.

They have some major holes and mistakes to rectify though....like casting off WFXT to Cox when it could be the home of the Patriots...

After all, CBS was the longtime home of the NFC, only to have FOX snatch it away in 1994. They grabbed the AFC away from NBC 4 years later.

Like I said before....just a thought. The NFL could always throw a wrench in things for their own benefit...

More realistic, perhaps they might want to bid on the Thursday night package that's due up in a little bit?

Just a thought....

Having both conferences on the same network wouldn't work at all, too many conflicts in scheduling. Besides, the NFL would never allow it.

It does make me curious though that FOX attempted to wrangle Thursday Night Football rights from CBS. Not only did they express interest when the shared NFL Network rights came about a couple years ago, but when NBC got the second half of the Thursday Night games, FOX was still attempting to get the Thursday night package. Then again, not only was FOX going after the Thursday night package but so was ESPN for ABC so take it for what you will. Outside of NFC rights, it's interesting that FOX was looking to get the Thursday rights.

Those stations were sold ostensibly to finance News Corp’s purchase of Dow Jones. KTVI was an NFC market, and WITI and WGHP were in secondary NFC markets, and those got unloaded. It was done in a way that Fox was assured they would be loyal affiliates for decades thereafter.

And seriously... what is stopping Fox from buying any of these stations back? It is the only real way Sinclair can finalize their purchase of Tribune and resolve a crapton of market conflicts, while potentially benefiting from additional capital raised from those divestitures to Fox.

I don’t see the win-loss record of a team factoring into this whatsoever. I mean, the Browns haven’t existed as an NFL team since 1995, and it’s still home to a fervent and loyal fan base.

WJW has a strong news product and is one of the best-performing Fox affiliates in the country. It would be insane not to include them in this because of a football team’s poor performance. Remember that Cleveland is stuck with the Browns until at least 2029.

WPGH, WBFF and WTTE are the only three stations I cannot see in any way being a part of this. For all intents and purposes, this is Fox looking at the Tribune stations and cherry-picking what they want.

All valid points, I just don't see why FOX would attempt to repurchase stations they've already sold. I mean it's one thing if they were reacquired in a trade, but who would pay to buy back stations you've already sold? Not saying there couldn't be a "want" to get those stations back, but I don't see them shelling out money to buy those particular stations back when there are likely better options out there.

FTVLive did make mention of Denver and Indy. I suspect the duopolies with KWGN and WTTV would not be safe and would eventually be separated. I mean, FOX running a CBS and CW affiliate? o_O

W/R/T The CW: WPWR says hi. There is a non-zero chance that Fox moves its affiliation to KWGN just for the "2" channel number though.

Did Fox get outbid for their former O&Os both times they had a chance to get them back in the last four years? (I know they didn't even bid on Tribune for some reason)

W/R/T The CW: WPWR says hi. There is a non-zero chance that Fox moves its affiliation to KWGN just for the "2" channel number though.

Did Fox get outbid for their former O&Os both times they had a chance to get them back in the last four years? (I know they didn't even bid on Tribune for some reason)

Just too bad the spectrum auction is no longer a thing. Something would be sold for spectrum.

No, what would likely happen is Sinclair would retain KWGN and WTTV, and try their best to separate them. Look at what they did with WTGS in Savannah. I think they're still sharing space right now with Hearst owned WJCL... Must be awkward as f.

It's possible FOX tried to go back after the Local TV former O&Os, but the real question is why would they when they've been trying to expand to large NFC markets and divest others? That's like FOX trying to get WHBQ and WFXT back, doesn't matter now that they have KTVU.

WTTV and WXIN being together feels like an eventual problem. I was arguing for KWGN becoming "Fox 2" based on Fox's past desire to move there and the fact that the station has more historic value in the market than KDVR. (Not that that means much anymore given that they ended up losing the war with KDVR, but still, you never know how these people think)

WTTV and WXIN being together feels like an eventual problem. I was arguing for KWGN becoming "Fox 2" based on Fox's past desire to move there and the fact that the station has more historic value in the market than KDVR. (Not that that means much anymore given that they ended up losing the war with KDVR, but still, you never know how these people think)

The problem with that theory though in this day and age is that channel numbers don't really matter. It's the WWJ and WGCL argument all over again. Why doesn't CBS try to move from channel 62 to 50? Why doesn't CBS try to move from 46 to 17? The placement of the channel position doesn't mean anything. Historical value also doesn't mean anything to advertisers. At the end of the day, people will tune into whatever channel their show is on no matter what channel it is. As much as I hate channel 6's newscasts here in Augusta, if I want to watch The Good Doctor (great show by the way) I am watching channel 6.

KWGN may historically be stronger than KDVR, but it's not the senior partner in the duopoly. KDVR is. The same with WXIN and WTTV, despite WTTV being a CBS affiliate and on channel 4 and having a stronger history than WXIN, WXIN is the senior partner in the duopoly.

At the station I work at here in Augusta, WRDW is the senior partner in the duopoly with WAGT, and it's run that way. WAGT has virtually no assets to its name (though it doesn't have the storied histories of KWGN or WTTV) because its the junior partner in the duopoly and if it were sold tomorrow, the new owner would get basically nothing but the tower/transmitter, and the station's programming aside from newscasts. Otherwise, the staff and resources that WRDW provides for WAGT stays with WRDW. It was the same thing that happened when WJBF controlled WAGT, all of the WAGT people and resources that were retained and not thrown out when the duopoly was formed became WJBF personnel and WJBF resources. This is why when Gray took over WAGT, those previously employed at WAGT that were still with the station didn't come with the sale because now they're WJBF people.

Here's my point-- KWGN and WTTV do not have much in the way of resources and personnel themselves because those resources and personnel are actually provided by KDVR and WXIN respectively, they just do the work for KWGN and WTTV.

So splitting the two, there will be some contractual issues and some resource issues unless those under contract with KDVR and WXIN who work for KWGN and WTTV are allowed to separate and go to their new employer, should Sinclair keep KWGN and WTTV and sell KDVR and WXIN to FOX and should those resources be allowed to be separated.

and possibly even WZTV (Titans)

Archived