Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Why would Raycom cut a deal though? They have a stronger affiliate in WVUE, and if anything ABC is the stronger network right now. Benefits them to hold into WVUE and pick up ABC. Only downside is they lose football.

Whether Raycom is involved or not, I expect WNOL and WUPL to switch affiliations anyway.

But the loss of football rights if they switched WVUE's affiliation might play a factor in deciding to sell/swap. Other than an occasional Wild Card game from ESPN, ABC hasn't carried the NFL since 2006. Even though ABC is the higher-rated network of the two in prime time these days, WVUE's Saints broadcasts through Fox likely are the station's highest rated programs. Without them, what's left? Most of Louisiana's college football teams are carried on either Fox or CBS. So without the NFL to help them, WVUE might not pull in the same ratings for ABC's sporting events than it does with the Saints.

Really, what's better: a WVUE as an ABC affiliate without the Saints or a WVUE that continues that relationship with the team by staying with Fox under Fox ownership? Plus, money talks... and Fox would likely offer a tidy sum to get WVUE that Raycom might want to mull over. Fox would likely want WVUE for the same reasons it sought KTVU for years, a strong Fox station (which has gone from a weak outlet to a stronger one in the past decade) that is the primary broadcaster of an NFC franchise, whose games pull in great ratings.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*WSFL. The odds of WSVN affiliating with ABC is unlikely.

Its highly unlikely. WPLG has been affiliated with ABC since its start and has been one of the strongest ABC affiliates on its roster. Plus, Graham has a very good relationship with ABC and considering Graham still manages WPLG, no changes there anytime soon. Just look at KSAT.

If FOX was to move in South Florida, WSVN will go Independent. Its been there before (when FOX only ran programming on Sunday nights at the time) and it could be done again.

Since when does history matter in today's day and age? There are plenty of long-term affiliations that have gone by the wayside (WISH comes to mind as the most recent). And why do you assume WSVN would go independent? WHDH didn't really have a choice in the matter. With that being said, how's that working out for them? They may be holding on, but their ratings are decreasing (not that NBC Boston is being successful either).

If WSVN is the last man standing and ABC is partnerless they will team up. End of story.

Since when does history matter in today's day and age? There are plenty of long-term affiliations that have gone by the wayside (WISH comes to mind as the most recent). And why do you assume WSVN would go independent? WHDH didn't really have a choice in the matter. With that being said, how's that working out for them? They may be holding on, but their ratings are decreasing (not that NBC Boston is being successful either).

If WSVN is the last man standing and ABC is partnerless they will team up. End of story.

*no pun intended? XD the last man standing part.

Run that by me again why Nexstar is a bad option for Miami, considering that in some markets across the nation it does well others don't?

Nexstar has a format that wouldn’t work in a market like Miami

Why would Raycom cut a deal though? They have a stronger affiliate in WVUE, and if anything ABC is the stronger network right now. Benefits them to hold into WVUE and pick up ABC. Only downside is they lose football.

And they won't. Tom Benson (the Saints owner) still owns a piece of WVUE with Raycom owning the majority. Nothing is happening in New Orleans.

Also don't forget that Sinclair is shutting down WCGV in Milwaukee specifically to get WITI, so if Fox does get them, they're going to pay a premium AND Fox may have to run two CW and MyNet signals on the same channel if WVTV is required to be part of the deal (and the mess down the dial with the spectrum involving WBME-CD, WVCY and WMLW makes trying to sort out where the CW goes if Fox nulls the WVTV deal a headache in itself).

Lemme guess Nexstar would be a bad idea for a Miami market?

Given Nexstar's reputation as a penny pincher? Yes. Also:

Nexstar has a format that wouldn’t work in a market like Miami

Exactly. WSVN's fast-paced newscast and elaborate news content don't sit well with the bean-counting dudes who'd rather cut salaries and budgets.

Exactly. WSVN's fast-paced newscast and elaborate news content don't sit well with the bean-counting dudes who'd rather cut salaries and budgets.

To say nothing of the electric bills for all those lights.

I'd take a number of Sinclair stations over KTTV. It is a horrible news operation for the #2 market and never improves. Fox destroyed KCOP's news operation and it doesn't even air news anymore. KTTV is an afterthought for anyone looking for news in Los Angeles and their social media does not rival any of the other 4 broadcast outlets in Los Angeles.

Sounds like the same playbook at NY. Fox5 news has gone downhill and is often just puff to promote Fox shows. They destroyed WWOR. And now looming, Sinclair controlling PIX11. CBS might want to consider moving the 9pm news on WLNY to 10 and have a really competitive product.

I’ve seen WTTE be mentioned in one of the replies to this thread.

While I’d like to see Fox buy it from Sinclair, my questions are:

Would Fox really be interested in building a standalone news operation? Remember, WTTE’s news is produced by WSYX.

Would Fox really be interested in building a brand new studio from scratch where their current operation at 1261 Dublin Rd is just a few racks of equipment inside WSYX’s building?

The answer is no. WTTE is not being sold to Fox. While i’d like to see it happen, it’s not logical.

I thought Benson sold the rest of his shares when Raycom acquired the rest of WVUE.

I think FOX would be shooting themselves in the foot of they even tried to make WGNO and/or WNOL O&Os. Look at Charlotte.

Even though WGNO has a (dis) functional news department (with a twist!), They're much better to be run (into the ground) by Sinclair...

I thought Benson sold the rest of his shares when Raycom acquired the rest of WVUE.

I think FOX would be shooting themselves in the foot of they even tried to make WGNO and/or WNOL O&Os. Look at Charlotte.

Even though WGNO has a (dis) functional news department (with a twist!), They're much better to be run (into the ground) by Sinclair...

Like KDNL and WXLV huh?

I’ve seen WTTE be mentioned in one of the replies to this thread.

While I’d like to see Fox buy it from Sinclair, my questions are:

Would Fox really be interested in building a standalone news operation? Remember, WTTE’s news is produced by WSYX.

Would Fox really be interested in building a brand new studio from scratch where their current operation at 1261 Dublin Rd is just a few racks of equipment inside WSYX’s building?

The answer is no. WTTE is not being sold to Fox. While i’d like to see it happen, it’s not logical.

:(:smash: Nope TTE been owned since day one by Sinclair as for WSYX they deserve better....as a person who grew up in Columbus just sayin'.

From Friday newsblues.com 12.1.2017

SINCLAIR HOPES TO SPEED UP TRIBUNE PURCHASE

Sinclair_Building2.jpg

The Department of Justice, which has gone to war with AT&T over its plans to acquire Time Warner – with CNN at the center of the battle, is being ever-so helpful with Sinclair Broadcast Group’s desire to swallow up Tribune Media.

Sinclair is close to accepting a DOJ suggestion that it sell off 13 Tribune stations in exchange for speedy approval of the merger.

Sinclair still hopes to get that number down to ten stations, but is eager to close.

Nexstar Media Group, Tegna and Meredith have all made offers for the 13 stations in question.

And don’t rule out Fox.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/sinclair-set-to-ok-antitrust-deal-looks-to-move-forward-with-6-6b-tribune-buyout/

Sinclair_Building2.jpg

The Department of Justice, which has gone to war with AT&T over its plans to acquire Time Warner – with CNN at the center of the battle, is being ever-so helpful with Sinclair Broadcast Group’s desire to swallow up Tribune Media.

Sinclair is close to accepting a DOJ suggestion that it sell off 13 Tribune stations in exchange for speedy approval of the merger.

Sinclair still hopes to get that number down to ten stations, but is eager to close.

Nexstar Media Group, Tegna and Meredith have all made offers for the 13 stations in question.

And don’t rule out Fox.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/sinclair-set-to-ok-antitrust-deal-looks-to-move-forward-with-6-6b-tribune-buyout/

Alright now I'm a little worried.

Sinclair_Building2.jpg

And don’t rule out Fox.

The only hope for AT&T to get CNN is to sell or spin off Direct TV.

The feds want Sinclair...to sell 13 Tribune stations, sources said.

Let's hope that's true because I don't want must-run stories to air on CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KDVR, nor do I want Sinclair to destroy local news.

If Nexstar did buy CW2 and FOX31, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were sister stations to another Nexstar outlet in Colorado (FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU in my hometown of Colorado Springs).

If Tegna bought CW2 and FOX31, that would mean they would have to move in with KUSA NBC9 News. That would reunite former

Sinclair_Building2.jpg

And don’t rule out Fox.

Of course, you still have to look at complications market-by-market, as well as potential sales going forward. In the case of Nexstar, they are currently in 9 of those 13 markets which have issues (either major or minor conflicts), including 3 of the 5 markets with conflicting news operations. Tegna and Meredith have fewer (but still some), but they may be for sale?

Problem is, there aren't too many obvious buyers left for some of them, particularly in the markets where a CBS affiliate and a Fox affiliate represent the conflict.

This would be an interesting scenario for Meredith for the Grand Rapids, MI DMA -- they could take either WXMI or WWMT and sister it with WNEM in Saginaw... I don't foresee FOX wanting WXMI... and I wonder what would happen with a Nexstar or Tegna duopoly...

Nexstar would form a triopoly, and Tegna would have 2 of the top 4 stations then...neither are legal.

Archived