Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Huh? The Eagles and Lions are going no where. Since when is high crime rate a reason to move a team? Who said that a stadium has to be built in the most dangerous neighborhoods of these cities, or even in these city itself as opposed to the suburbs. And how is this even related to the discussion?

That’s like saying Fox wouldn’t buy WJW because of the Browns’ incomprehensible stretch of futility. Fox may not want WJW, but that isn’t the reason why.

Furthermore, while no team is 100% safe from relocation (Browns fans found that out the hard way in 1995, and Baltimore Colts fans found out in 1983), the Lions and Eagles should have long-running leases on their stadiums. The current Browns are locked in a lease to FirstEnergy “Factory o’ Sadness” Stadium until 2029.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh? The Eagles and Lions are going no where. Since when is high crime rate a reason to move a team? Who said that a stadium has to be built in the most dangerous neighborhoods of these cities, or even in these city itself as opposed to the suburbs. And how is this even related to the discussion?

That’s like saying Fox wouldn’t buy WJW because of the Browns’ incomprehensible stretch of futility. Fox may not want WJW, but that isn’t the reason why.

Furthermore, while no team is 100% safe from relocation (Browns fans found that out the hard way in 1995, and Baltimore Colts fans found out in 1983), the Lions and Eagles should have long-running leases on their stadiums. The current Browns are locked in a lease to FirstEnergy “Factory o’ Sadness” Stadium until 2029.

Okay, you and Myron got me there. That's not as relevant to the discussion as I thought.

That said, the Browns can stay there anyway. The other two (Philly Eagles and Detroit Lions) should leave once their leases are done if not earlier because their cities need the economic recovery they can get regardless if the fans get triggered by it or not. If another team should be put into a city, I'd suggest the city not have a crime rate too high or the city be in economic shambles (like Detroit for instance). Sorry, but, you have to face the facts.

Even if that's not relevant, the second quote I posted should be given that KUTV and KSTU are conflicts.

That said, the Browns can stay there anyway. The other two (Philly Eagles and Detroit Lions) should leave once their leases are done if not earlier because their cities need the economic recovery they can get regardless if the fans get triggered by it or not. If another team should be put into a city, I'd suggest the city not have a crime rate too high or the city be in economic shambles (like Detroit for instance). Sorry, but, you have to face the facts.

Detroit just spent millions on a new sports arena for the Red Wings and are about to spend millions on updates to the Lions' current home, Ford Field (if they haven't done so already). They're not leaving anytime soon. That is a very asinine argument you are trying to make here.

And what does any of this have to do with Fox and/or Sinclair in NFL markets?

Personally, I don't mind the direction Nexstar is taking with MG. They haven't messed with WISH too much (except for a few occasional staff changes).

I wonder how much of LIN's management is there to influence things.

NY Post stated this morning that Sinclair could be ready to accept an agreement with the DOJ to divest 13 TV stations.

They didn't say who they'll divest it to.

The Wall Street Journal stated that the DOJ is signaling that it is willing to greenlight this deal, if the companies divest 12-13 stations. This is according to folks who are familiar with DOJ's thinking.

The Wall Street Journal stated that the DOJ is signaling that it is willing to greenlight this deal, if the companies divest 12-13 stations. This is according to folks who are familiar with DOJ's thinking.

There’s really Just One buyer who would be able to take the vast majority of the conflict stations here and make the deal passable. A rather “cunning” buyer.

FFS, the DOJ just telegraphed the end result for all to see.

There’s really Just One buyer who would be able to take the vast majority of the conflict stations here and make the deal passable. A rather “cunning” buyer.

FFS, the DOJ just telegraphed the end result for all to see.

Who are you talking about?

Who are you talking about?

Fox, as in Just One Fox.

IMG_1552.JPG

Seriously, the fact is that Fox has been showing themselves as a willing buyer of more than enough stations needed to clear the merger (and maybe a few more than that). That’s all that’s needed with this DOJ.

Fox, as in Just One Fox.

IMG_1552.JPG

Seriously, the fact is that Fox has been showing themselves as a willing buyer of more than enough stations needed to clear the merger (and maybe a few more than that). That’s all that’s needed with this DOJ.

As long as there's no serious shake up in OKC, Sinclair, FOX, and DOJ can do whatever they want.

Not entirely sure what these "Okay as long as they don’t touch [a local or otherwise arbitrary station]" posts are meant to accomplish. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion. We get it, no one wants Sinclair in their market. It's a little SPAMmy.

Anyways, Fox will get a few of those stations and whatever few they still need to divest will end up in a shell company. Done and done.

Fox, as in Just One Fox.

IMG_1552.JPG

To be fair, Fox hasn't used that slogan in nearly 2 decades. But I thought it was pretty clever.

And to help back up this theory is this article where Fox is stating that their new company is in a growing mood.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/109669/murdoch-new-fox-interested-in-more-stations

FTVLive reporting FOX will definitely get KCPQ when the dust settles.

They may also get WDAF, KDVR, WJW, and...KSWB.

If they get KSWB, it definitely means Sinclair grabbing KFMB is on the table. Though I don’t know why FOX doesn’t just pony up for KFMB themselves...

The Heathens of Hunt Valley would be dumb to give up Ohio's largest TV market. I don't think we've ever had a station group that owned stations in all three-Cs in the state. But they know that they have to spin-off more stations to come into compliance with the national cap.

The two former Fox markets that I would've seen Sinclair keep at least, is Cleveland & Milwaukee.

Cleveland because of what I said above. And Milwaukee, Sinclair already relinquished the license of WCGV, and moving the MyNet to the sub so the compliant duopoly would be WITI & WVTV. Or if Fox wants TV6, they can duo with Super 18. They already run a Fox/CW duo south down I-94 (WFLD/WPWR).

If Fox wants KDVR, they might as well get KWGN as well. And if the KSWB thing stick, do any of you think Fox also want the Cali capital too (KTXL)? That would stop Sinclair's return to that market.

The real thing to watch for is Indianapolis. If WXIN & WTTV are in the top-4 right now, they would have to be broken-up. And the question would be, how can you separate these two stations that share the same newsroom? But I wouldn't be all that surprised if they go sneaky and ask for a "waiver" to keep 4 & 59 together, whoever keeps it. Sinclair or Fox, whoever.

It's all going to come down to what the DOJ settlement going to be.

If they get KSWB, it definitely means Sinclair grabbing KFMB is on the table. Though I don’t know why FOX doesn’t just pony up for KFMB themselves...

Fox doesn’t own radio stations. Sinclair has acquired radio stations as tagalongs, as seen with the three Fisher stations in Seattle and the pending purchase of WGN 720.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Midwest is looking for a group willing to buy 100.7 and 760 in addition to TV8, and Sinclair is asking for Fox to take KSWB off of their hands even as it is no longer an NFL market.

The Heathens of Hunt Valley would be dumb to give up Ohio's largest TV market. I don't think we've ever had a station group that owned stations in all three-Cs in the state. But they know that they have to spin-off more stations to come into compliance with the national cap.

The two former Fox markets that I would've seen Sinclair keep at least, is Cleveland & Milwaukee.

Ohio will be a battleground state next year and in 2020, with revenue from ads coming in from all places. Fox no doubt wants a piece of that pie. And Sinclair has no reason to be upset if they can’t get WJW, they’ll still have their Columbus triopoly and duopolies in Dayton and Cincinnati. Allegedly they own a Toledo station but who knows.

Plus WJW is a VHF signal in both RF and PSIP, so there’s no way to skirt around that with any Republican rule bending.

Hello. Cool! I hope the "New Fox" spinoff company would buy those stations.

Anyways, Fox will get a few of those stations and whatever few they still need to divest will end up in a shell company. Done and done.

With Fox entering the picture as a cherry-picker for the stations they want, that resolves the majority of markets where Sinclair has no choice but to divest. The deal becomes much more realistic and passable, perhaps well before the hard deadline set next May.

If you’re at Sinclair, you want this side deal with Fox to happen as soon as possible.

I agree the Cleveland move is surprising, since I am sure Sinclair would want a big leap in the red-leaning swing state. If Sinclair really wants into Cleveland, there are no legitimate targets left unless some combination of Scripps, Tegna and Raycom merge with each other (but that's a topic for another day).

Seattle (conflict + politically irrelevant) was almost universally agreed, while Kansas City (politically irrelevant) and Denver (blue-leaning swing) were mentioned slightly.

I'm surprised KTVI isn't in the picture. So the DOJ is ok with Sinclair possibly having a Triopoly here in St. Louis?

I agree the Cleveland move is surprising, since I am sure Sinclair would want a big leap in the red-leaning swing state. If Sinclair really wants into Cleveland, there are no legitimate targets left unless some combination of Scripps, Tegna and Raycom merge with each other (but that's a topic for another day).

Seattle (conflict + politically irrelevant) was almost universally agreed, while Kansas City (politically irrelevant) and Denver (blue-leaning swing) were mentioned slightly.

I think if Raycom can somehow workout a fair trade and take a few Sinclair/Tribune conflicts, then say hello to WOIO/WUAB becoming Sinclair-owned.

Archived