Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Disclaimer: please feel free to move this and all related posts to the Speculatron thread, where it probably should be.

You're thinking too much into this.

Really, Fox wants 6-10 stations and there's a strong possibility that they'll deal WOFL to Sinclair to sweeten the pot.

Fox has shown strong indications that they want most of the New World group back. Those stations Fox spun off include KTVI, WDAF, WJW, WITI, KDVR, KSTU and WGHP. If you add KSWB and KCPQ/KXJO... that's ten. All but KSTU, KSWB and KTVI are in football markets.

KTVI, KSTU, WGHP and WXMI resolve obvious conflict markets. WITI no longer would be needed to resolve a conflict, but that wouldn't stop Fox from wanting the station back. WJW is VHF on both RF and PSIP, so that takes a potential cap headache off of Sinclair's hands. And that only leaves WPMT and WXMI.

Richmond, Des Moines and Portland will be clean duopolies through typical shells. If Fox just gets KTVI, then KPLR/KDNL will be a clean duopoly as well. NBD.

This Fox deal resolves so much, aside from two markets - OKC and Wilkes-Barre - the merger automatically becomes as clean as a baby's bottom.

Seriously. It's getting old and tiresome.

Stop.

Please.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you too. It seems like the strategy is for Fox to recover the New World stations they sold off to help cover the debt from their purchase of WSJ at the time.

So I guess in this scenario, the KDVR/KWGN duopoly would be broken up and KDVR would go to Fox while KWGN stays with Sinclair? I can't see how much use Fox would have for KWGN.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A new report is circulating, in which (soon-to-be "New") Fox are in talks to buy 10 Sinclair stations while the latter continues acquiring Tribune.

Based on this article from the Financial Times (I'm pasting the article here in case anyone has trouble with the paywall):

https://www.ft.com/content/c7f564d8-f56c-11e7-88f7-5465a6ce1a00

Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox is finalising the purchase of about 10 US television stations from Sinclair Broadcast Group in a deal that will bolster the portfolio of channels operated by Fox, according to three people familiar with the sale. Sinclair is selling the channels, which include some in key NFL American football markets such as Denver and Seattle, to secure regulatory approval for its own purchase of Tribune Media. That deal is set to make it the country’s largest owner of local channels, reaching 72 per cent of all US households. Mr Murdoch’s company is keen to add to its station portfolio as it plots a new course following the looming $66bn sale of its entertainment businesses to Disney. Fox is selling its international assets, including its stake in Sky in the UK, as well as its US cable television channels and Hollywood movie studio. The remaining company, dubbed “New Fox”, will own the Fox broadcast network, sports cable network and Fox News Channel, as well as a portfolio of local US television stations. One person close to the Sinclair negotiations said Fox’s acquisition of the 10 channels would help it better monetise its NFL rights. Fox and Sinclair declined to comment. Twenty-First Century Fox Inc Murdoch looksto add 10 Sinclairstationsto Fox Local channels would boost US portfolio after planned asset sale to Disney 1/11/2018 Murdoch looks to add 10 Sinclair stations to Fox. Fox is buying channels in markets where Sinclair will own two “full power” stations, which is prohibited under current Federal Communications Commission rules. The value of the deal, which is contingent on Sinclair’s $3.9bn purchase of Tribune closing, was not disclosed. Local stations have risen in value since the FCC lifted a barrier that had effectively capped the number of stations individual companies could own. The change was the catalyst for Sinclair’s offer for Tribune, a deal that will give the combined company more than 200 channels including some in the largest markets, such as New York and Los Angeles. Fox also worked on a joint bid for Tribune last year with Blackstone, the private equity group, but did not make an offer. Sinclair was able to snap up Tribune unopposed but the deal has attracted controversy because of Sinclair’s right-leaning news coverage. The company, which is based in the Baltimore suburbs, last year hired Boris Epshteyn, a former Trump administration official. Mr Epshteyn is its chief political analyst and records commentary segments that are syndicated to local newscasts at Sinclair-owned stations. With Sinclair’s news coverage set to reach more US households, opponents of its Tribune deal have complained that the merger will lead to more biased news coverage. “Sinclair forces its local stations to air pro-Trump propaganda,” said Free Press, a non-profit lobby group, which is formally challenging the transaction. The prospect of Sinclair owning more stations via its proposed takeover of Tribune has also alarmed rival companies. In a submission to the FCC, Newsmax, a conservative-leaning media company, wrote: “A free and diverse press, a bedrock principle of American democracy, will be crippled by this proposed merger.”

I'm pretty much in agreement with you too. It seems like the strategy is for Fox to recover the New World stations they sold off to help cover the debt from their purchase of WSJ at the time.

So I guess in this scenario, the KDVR/KWGN duopoly would be broken up and KDVR would go to Fox while KWGN stays with Sinclair? I can't see how much use Fox would have for KWGN.

No I would think Fox would acquire both KDVR & KWGN. Why run a singular station where you can run a duopoly? After all, they already operate a Fox/CW duo in the Chi.....

No I would think Fox would acquire both KDVR & KWGN. Why run a singular station where you can run a duopoly? After all, they already operate a Fox/CW duo in the Chi.....

WPWR was offered as trade bait to Tribune when Fox tried to get KCPQ a few years ago.

No doubt in my mind that Fox would be absolutely willing to trade WPWR again (in addition to WOFL) to a willing Sinclair.

WPWR was offered as trade bait to Tribune when Fox tried to get KCPQ a few years ago.

No doubt in my mind that Fox would be absolutely willing to trade WPWR again (in addition to WOFL) to a willing Sinclair.

So in other words, say hello to WHDH/WLVI Midwest? Got it!

Disclaimer: please feel free to move this and all related posts to the Speculatron thread, where it probably should be.

You're thinking too much into this.

Really, Fox wants 6-10 stations and there's a strong possibility that they'll deal WOFL to Sinclair to sweeten the pot.

Fox has shown strong indications that they want most of the New World group back. Those stations Fox spun off include KTVI, WDAF, WJW, WITI, KDVR, KSTU and WGHP. If you add KSWB and KCPQ/KXJO... that's ten. All but KSTU, KSWB and KTVI are in football markets.

KTVI, KSTU, WGHP and WXMI resolve obvious conflict markets. WITI no longer would be needed to resolve a conflict, but that wouldn't stop Fox from wanting the station back. WJW is VHF on both RF and PSIP, so that takes a potential cap headache off of Sinclair's hands. And that only leaves WPMT and WXMI.

Richmond, Des Moines and Portland will be clean duopolies through typical shells. If Fox just gets KTVI, then KPLR/KDNL will be a clean duopoly as well. NBD.

This Fox deal resolves so much, aside from two markets - OKC and Wilkes-Barre - the merger automatically becomes as clean as a baby's bottom.

Seriously. It's getting old and tiresome.

Stop.

Please.

I

I’ll stop , please accept my apologies. I’m just as anxious to get this over with as you are.

FOX owning a CW2 and buying back a FOX31? Same duopoly as FOX32 and CW50 in Chicago?

I'd like to see how it pans out. Let's just hope FOX lets CW2 keep its newscast, including the Colorado ski lodge news set, their own graphics, their own music, and continue to talk about Colorado; just like KWGN is doing now. Moreover, let's hope KDVR keeps the graphics they have now. Hell, KTVU FOX2 uses their own graphics, that includes retaining the old Circle 2.

Hell, KTVU FOX2 uses their own graphics, that includes retaining the old Circle 2.

Outside of the non-"Box Kite" logo, KTVU's "custom" graphics are limited to show opens (and that might not even be the case any more). Everything else is the O&O package.

FOX owning a CW2 and buying back a FOX31? Same duopoly as FOX32 and CW50 in Chicago?

I'd like to see how it pans out. Let's just hope FOX lets CW2 keep its newscast, including the Colorado ski lodge news set, their own graphics, their own music, and continue to talk about Colorado; just like KWGN is doing now. Moreover, let's hope KDVR keeps the graphics they have now. Hell, KTVU FOX2 uses their own graphics, that includes retaining the old Circle 2.

Assuming this goes through the way it does, Fox would only take KDVR while Sinclair gets KWGN, then enters into an SSA or an news-sharing agreement. It’s really the safest move to take... and both Fox and Sinclair come out as winners.

Let's Take A Closer Look

Seattle: We at TVNT all believe that KCPQ/KZJO is as good as sold to FOX

St. Louis: Take either KTVI 2, shell KPLR 11, and KDNL 30 (See Baltimore)

Utah: Tossup between KUTV & KSTU

OKC: As I've said, Sinclair should keep what they have and divest KFOR/KAUT

Piedmont: Take WGHP and let go of WXLV

West Michigan: Keep WWMT and let go of WXMI

Susquehanna: Keep WHP and let of of WPMT

Richmond: Take WTVR 6, shell WRLH 35 with 6 taking over the newscasts for 35 with WJLA taking over WDCA's newscasts in DC. Virginia is just about a swing state.

Des Moines: Take WHO 13, shell KDSM 17, these 2 already have a news share agreement, and Iowa is a political hotbed.

Portland, OR: Keep KATU 2, shell KRCW 32 with 2 taking over production of 32's newscasts.

I disagree with St. Louis but I'll explain it further with my predictions on how this whole Sinclair/Tribune thing goes down in the Speculatron thread

Assuming this goes through the way it does, Fox would only take KDVR while Sinclair gets KWGN, then enters into an SSA or an news-sharing agreement. It’s really the safest move to take...

Something similar is likely to happen in St. Louis, assuming Fox is going after KTVI.

Right now, three stations are up in the air: one owned by Sinclair, two owned by Tribune. The two Tribune stations have a consolidated news department - both share the same studio and talent. The Sinclair one has no news department.

So unless some sharing agreement is retained between the two Tribune stations, the buyer would either: a) have to start a news operation from scratch, or b) be satisfied with a station with no news. If Fox is the buyer, option b would go against what they intend to focus on, and option a would mean additional expenses on top of buying the station - not appealing at all.

Outside of the non-"Box Kite" logo, KTVU's "custom" graphics are limited to show opens (and that might not even be the case any more). Everything else is the O&O package.

I know everything was custom and "different" when Dylan Wilbur was their creative services/special projects guy. I think the new guy was a corporate choice because he's more by the book.

I know everything was custom and "different" when Dylan Wilbur was their creative services/special projects guy. I think the new guy was a corporate choice because he's more by the book.

More like the cliff notes book lol,

The only thing that shows or mention FOX is the custom Opens with the and Sign off on reporters, “KTVU FOX 2 News.”

The Mic Flags, Mobile App Icon Logo, and the set Has the Laser 2, including the top of the set still says KTVU 2 NEWS.

The only tweak they did to the studio was replacing the Cox Weather Moniker “StormTracker 2” Banner to “Weather Authority.” A few months ago they recently changed the top of the news desk is no longer walnut and now painted black with an added horse shoe black plexiglass following the desk trim design.

Were also still waiting for the upstairs news set they use during their 9am show to be completed unless it got scrapped.

Or... Fox never was interested in WGNO in the first place.

Entirely possible, but I can't imagine why FOX wouldn't want a flagship station of the very good New Orleans Saints, especially if live sports is their way forward (be it with the network or everything they'll have left post-Disney.)

I mean, they rekt WCCB, one of their strongest affiliates, to have a duop in Charlotte. No reason to believe they're not cool with rehabbing a bottom-dweller.

Only reasons I can think of is they think there's little money to be made in a 50s market, which would then take GB off the table, too--or they're afraid of another hurricane.

Entirely possible, but I can't imagine why FOX wouldn't want a flagship station of the very good New Orleans Saints, especially if live sports is their way forward (be it with the network or everything they'll have left post-Disney.)

I mean, they rekt WCCB, one of their strongest affiliates, to have a duop in Charlotte. No reason to believe they're not cool with rehabbing a bottom-dweller.

Only reasons I can think of is they think there's little money to be made in a 50s market, which would then take GB off the table, too--or they're afraid of another hurricane.

Fox is clearly engineering this deal with Sinclair to preserve some balance with their affiliate owner base, as well as to get back many of the affiliates they sold off in 2008 (in order for News Corp. to buy Dow Jones).

So it’s a little bit different than the swaps for WJZY or KTVU... although Fox has coveted KCPQ badly for years and years. They WANT Seattle bad, and everything else is a bonus.

I don’t think Fox ever wanted in NOLA... not when Tom Benson owned WVUE (that alone would have been in incredibly poor form, to strip a station owned by an NFL team owner of the rights to carry his own team’s games!) and not now with Raycom in full control.

So it’s a little bit different than the swaps for WJZY or KTVU... although Fox has coveted KCPQ badly for years and years. They WANT Seattle bad, and everything else is a bonus.

And that's the weird thing--even you've said Pai will let them get away with murder with this deal negating much of a need for dealmaking in the first place, and Seattle is a market where there are big conflicts (probably the most sore thumb of the whole lot), but Sinclair could really stick it to FOX and sell pieces to other owners.

I bet Univision would love to have an O&O in Seattle. Hell, give KUNS *AND* KJZO to them, and let JoeTV become UniMas. I'm sure Pai would give Sinclair a waiver to let them continue operating Q13.

That would be the ultimate middle finger--and I'm not sure FOX could do much about it, given they just sold the farm to Disney.

And that's the weird thing--even you've said Pai will let them get away with murder with this deal negating much of a need for dealmaking in the first place, and Seattle is a market where there are big conflicts (probably the most sore thumb of the whole lot), but Sinclair could really stick it to FOX and sell pieces to other owners.

I bet Univision would love to have an O&O in Seattle. Hell, give KUNS *AND* KJZO to them, and let JoeTV become UniMas. I'm sure Pai would give Sinclair a waiver to let them continue operating Q13.

That would be the ultimate middle finger--and I'm not sure FOX could do much about it, given they just sold the farm to Disney.

The only thing Fox could do in retaliation is pull a mass disaffiliation with all Sinclair stations, with or without replacement affiliates in place. It would be a nuclear option that devastates both companies.

I don’t see Sinclair screwing over Fox like that, though. They need each other to help facilitate this charade of a merger, more than even we think.

Hello. Respectfully, I have to agree with those who want Fox to buyout Q13 Fox and Joe TV.

Or Sinclair could decide to keep KCPQ and KJZO and sell KOMO and KUNS instead.

Or Sinclair could decide to keep KCPQ and KJZO and sell KOMO and KUNS instead.

I wish that would happen. I do hope Fox would assume ownership of Q13 and Joe TV--soon to be Fox 13 and Fox 13 Plus, respectively.

Archived