Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

we know, you've said that like 1000 times already

Is he an employee there? I like KFOR and I do think that they put out a good product (Although I do think that they shouldn't rotate anchors on the 9pm newscast and that it should be an hour long already) but if I were in a market in this situation (And I have dealt with this before when the WOAI/KABB thing happened), I'd just be hoping that Sinclair doesn't pull their shell tactics and try to put all four effectively under the same ownership. I'd rather have one duopoly owned by Sinclair and one owned by someone like Meredith, Cox, Graham, Scripps or even Nexstar (who I similarly took to task in Little Rock) than four owned by SBG. I do wish both duopolies luck in this as they go forward.

However, If SBG opts to sell KOKH and keep KFOR, and the news anchors/staff there aren't happy with Sinclair (and I would expect some of them not to be), they can always go over to KOKH or even KOCO or KWTV and you can just watch them there. Problem solved.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has this piece of information been posted before? At the tail end of the Variety article: The markets Sinclair has identified for divestitures are: Seattle, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Okla., Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C., Grand Rapids, Mich., Harrisburg, Pa., Richmond, Va., Des Moines, Iowa, and Portland, Ore.

Not only that, but it also says the 180-day review period concludes on the 17th, one week from this writing. Does the FCC have the authority to extend the proverbial review "shot clock"? And, considering that it would take a couple of weeks at least before Sinclair could cut any deals with any group, could Sinclair and Tribune request that the FCC temporarily extend or pause the review process to allow time to finalize any spinoff deals with outside companies?

**Does Fox really want KSWB? I can understand wanting WJW, WITI and a few others... but that still has me puzzled.

Could just be Fox wanting to keep as many of their affiliated stations out of Sinclair's hands as possible. Sinclair's known to be a tough negotiator and Fox clearly doesn't like dealing with them. That's why they were exploring a deal with Ion earlier last year.

Does anyone?

Probably not, but Fox has been far more aggressive in taking action than the other networks. I was just trying to explain why Fox may want stations that aren't in NFL markets. The more Fox stations that are in Sinclair's hands, the harder it is for Fox to deal with them.

Probably not, but Fox has been far more aggressive in taking action than the other networks. I was just trying to explain why Fox may want stations that aren't in NFL markets. The more Fox stations that are in Sinclair's hands, the harder it is for Fox to deal with them.

I understand. I was just co-signing your statement.

Could just be Fox wanting to keep as many of their affiliated stations out of Sinclair's hands as possible. Sinclair's known to be a tough negotiator and Fox clearly doesn't like dealing with them. That's why they were exploring a deal with Ion earlier last year.

The threat of an ION deal was Fox playing hardball. It worked. Sinclair’s stock price fell significantly the next day and obviously spurred this handshake deal.

As much as Sinclair is a tough negotiator, you better not get on Fox’s bad side.

So does this mean that Fox will NOT get WJW in the Sinclair deal? Just wondering. I do want to ask regardless of either Sinclair or Fox owning WJW if shows like Big Chuck and Lil' John, The Rizzo Show, New Day Cleveland, and The Mike Polk, Jr. Show would get cancelled or revamped? I can see all those hours of news staying put, maybe even the addition of news at 11pm.

And so, everything old is new again...

NOLA, GB, Milwaukee, Seattle, Cleveland, St. Louis, and (I guess) San Diego gets you to 10 stations. Boom.

FOX has enough money once the Disney sale is done to get way more, if they're really going to go all-in with a mostly live (sports) schedule. Again, this only works if they get ALL the NFL rights, and NFL maintains its popularity over time.

First off, as was debunked last week, the powers that be at Fox publicly stated that the Fox Network would not change. The reference to live sports and news was to the cable cnannels. Second, I doubt the NFL will put all games on one network. That creates major conflicts across the country and the NFL is about two things: maximizing revenue and maximizing penetration. Consolidating games on Fox goes against both of those Splitting the packages generates a lot more money between rights fees and advertising revenue. And if anything, the NFL is not going to expand the number of days games are carried. They recognize ratings for TNF (especially when not carried by NBC or CBS) are quite poor and saturation is an issue. Nor will they go to taped broadcasts if it all went to Fox - viewers will turn off. Who wants to watch a tape delayed game when you can listen to it online live?

I hope it happens for WPGH, that stations needs a newly re-brand news department, with new anchors, new set, and new look for FOX 53. Maybe WPXI can return

their 10PM News back to PCNC.

Beware what you wish for. The Fox 5 flagship in DMA 1 uses a very old set (several stations have switched sets more than once during the same period), and its news quality contains lots of puff and promotion for Fox shows.

So does this mean that Fox will NOT get WJW in the Sinclair deal? Just wondering. I do want to ask regardless of either Sinclair or Fox owning WJW if shows like Big Chuck and Lil' John, The Rizzo Show, New Day Cleveland, and The Mike Polk, Jr. Show would get cancelled or revamped? I can see all those hours of news staying put, maybe even the addition of news at 11pm.

No I see FOX getting WJW back. Maybe New Day Cleveland would survive, not too sure about The Rizzo Show and maybe FOX will let WJW keep Big Chuck and Lil' John thanks to station history.

The Rizzo Show is basically a sponsored program (if you’ve ever listened to Tony Rizzo’s radio show, it’s the same deal). Big Chuck and Lil John’s skit show has evergreen host segments filmed months in advance (Chuck Schodowski is in his early 80s, so he’s more than earned that).

I wouldn’t worry about either show leaving if Fox retakes the station, TBH.

Beware what you wish for. The Fox 5 flagship in DMA 1 uses a very old set (several stations have switched sets more than once during the same period), and its news quality contains lots of puff and promotion for Fox shows.

I’ll see you WNYW and raise you WJW. I think both stations are the only ones left that still use the 2006 O&O set (unless KRIV still does??)

The Rizzo Show is basically a sponsored program (if you’ve ever listened to Tony Rizzo’s radio show, it’s the same deal). Big Chuck and Lil John’s skit show has evergreen host segments filmed months in advance (Chuck Schodowski is in his early 80s, so he’s more than earned that).

I wouldn’t worry about either show leaving if Fox retakes the station, TBH.

I’ll see you WNYW and raise you WJW. I think both stations are the only ones left that still use the 2006 O&O set (unless KRIV still does??)

KRIV have a new set since last year.

A new report is circulating, in which (soon-to-be "New") Fox are in talks to buy 10 Sinclair stations while the latter continues acquiring Tribune.

Good, I do hope that:

1. Fox would officially buy out ten Sinclair- and Tribune Media-owned TV stations.
  2. Seattle's KCPQ and KZJO would be among those ten TV stations that Fox would acquire.

KCPQ will be an O&O. That is a formality.

I’m not really up to guessing which stations will be taken, either here or in Speculatron. While I waver in the “wish list” Scott Jones posted**, he nailed the “6-10 stations” mark.

**Does Fox really want KSWB? I can understand wanting WJW, WITI and a few others... but that still has me puzzled.

Agreed. Let's also hope KZJO would become the MyNetworkTV O&O, even though it has been almost a decade since MyNetwork got downgraded from over-the-air TV network to television syndication service.

Is he an employee there? I like KFOR and I do think that they put out a good product (Although I do think that they shouldn't rotate anchors on the 9pm newscast and that it should be an hour long already) but if I were in a market in this situation (And I have dealt with this before when the WOAI/KABB thing happened), I'd just be hoping that Sinclair doesn't pull their shell tactics and try to put all four effectively under the same ownership. I'd rather have one duopoly owned by Sinclair and one owned by someone like Meredith, Cox, Graham, Scripps or even Nexstar (who I similarly took to task in Little Rock) than four owned by SBG. I do wish both duopolies luck in this as they go forward.

However, If SBG opts to sell KOKH and keep KFOR, and the news anchors/staff there aren't happy with Sinclair (and I would expect some of them not to be), they can always go over to KOKH or even KOCO or KWTV and you can just watch them there. Problem solved.

I am not an employee.

I just like the things just the way they are in Oklahoma, Sinclair keeps KOKH/KOCB with KFOR/KAUT going elsewhere, but not to "New" FOX.

Like I said, "in an arrangement akin to KTBC and KDFW". Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point is the market directly north of Charlotte and is within the Panthers' DMA, as are Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson and Columbia in South Carolina (which don't have Fox affiliate that would be in contention to be acquired by FTS). KTBC isn't part of the main DMA of the Cowboys either, but Fox hasn't ever considered selling it in any other sale transaction it has conducted over the past eleven years.

Geographically, Dallas and Austin are separated by the Waco market, which is covered by Nexstar's KWKT.

Scott Jones did casually mention on November 30 that Nexstar and/or Meredith could be possible suitors for the remaining conflict stations Fox doesn’t want.

OKC and Wilkes-Barre are, to the best of my knowledge, the only remaining conflict markets after what most of us are assuming this “6-10 station” Fox deal will entail. The Tribune buyout then becomes a clean one.

Since all this started, it's been my belief that Sinclair can acquire WNEP as they do not own WOLF outright as the latter is owned by New Age Media and managed by Sinclair under a MSA with WQMY & WSWB. The MSA may have to be reworked or terminated, besides, the newscasts on WOLF have been outsourced to South Bend.

WDAF honestly makes more sense than KSWB (both being on the Scott Jones “wish list”), but I think you nailed it.

It’s funny that Fox could technically be buying their way into a new affiliation in NOLA... again. Remember that WVUE - along with WLUK and WALA - became a Fox affiliate after Fox bought a sizable ownership stake in Savoy Broadcasting.

As of this writing, New Orleans, Green Bay/Milwaukee, and Seattle are one remaining NFC markets that lack a FOX O&O. FOX could very well undo the 1995 realignment with WVUE rejoining ABC. In Wisconsin, I can see WITI and, possibly, WLUK going to FOX with KCPQ in Seattle going to FOX as well.

Since all this started, it's been my belief that Sinclair can acquire WNEP as they do not own WOLF outright as the latter is owned by New Age Media and managed by Sinclair under a MSA with WQMY & WSWB. The MSA may have to be reworked or terminated, besides, the newscasts on WOLF have been outsourced to South Bend.

Sinclair could easily move Fox to WNEP 16.2.

Has this piece of information been posted before? At the tail end of the Variety article: The markets Sinclair has identified for divestitures are: Seattle, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Okla., Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C., Grand Rapids, Mich., Harrisburg, Pa., Richmond, Va., Des Moines, Iowa, and Portland, Ore.

Let's Take A Closer Look

Seattle: We at TVNT all believe that KCPQ/KZJO is as good as sold to FOX

St. Louis: Take either KTVI 2, shell KPLR 11, and KDNL 30 (See Baltimore)

Utah: Tossup between KUTV & KSTU

OKC: As I've said, Sinclair should keep what they have and divest KFOR/KAUT

Piedmont: Take WGHP and let go of WXLV

West Michigan: Keep WWMT and let go of WXMI

Susquehanna: Keep WHP and let of of WPMT

Richmond: Take WTVR 6, shell WRLH 35 with 6 taking over the newscasts for 35 with WJLA taking over WDCA's newscasts in DC. Virginia is just about a swing state.

Des Moines: Take WHO 13, shell KDSM 17, these 2 already have a news share agreement, and Iowa is a political hotbed.

Portland, OR: Keep KATU 2, shell KRCW 32 with 2 taking over production of 32's newscasts.

Sinclair could easily move Fox to WNEP 16.2.

That's easier said then done as WNEP is now sharing its stick with PBS member WVIA.

Not likely, unless an affiliation swap is in order. Also OKC isn't an O&O-sized market.

This is why I cannot see FOX taking KFOR as, just like Austin, OKC is not adjacent to Dallas as the Wichita Falls and Sherman markets separate OKC from Dallas. Moreover, I cannot see NBC move to KOKH, but try to ink a deal with Hearst to move to KOCO with poor ABC moving to KOKH. The only real reason I would see FOX wanting an O&O in OKC would be because of Big 12 Football.

KTXL has 2 ways of selling to. either sell to Sinclair with KRXI/KRNV being satellites or sell to FOX over at KTVU. Honestly i rather have KTXL do the right thing and become FOX 100%. given that their is already a Network owned an operated station that once was Sinclair's in the 90s and Early 2000s. KOVR (CBS)

Disclaimer: please feel free to move this and all related posts to the Speculatron thread, where it probably should be.

Let's Take A Closer Look

Seattle: We at TVNT all believe that KCPQ/KZJO is as good as sold to FOX

St. Louis: Take either KTVI 2, shell KPLR 11, and KDNL 30 (See Baltimore)

Utah: Tossup between KUTV & KSTU

Piedmont: Take WGHP and let go of WXLV

West Michigan: Keep WWMT and let go of WXMI

Susquehanna: Keep WHP and let of of WPMT

Richmond: Take WTVR 6, shell WRLH 35 with 6 taking over the newscasts for 35 with WJLA taking over WDCA's newscasts in DC. Virginia is just about a swing state.

Des Moines: Take WHO 13, shell KDSM 17, these 2 already have a news share agreement, and Iowa is a political hotbed.

Portland, OR: Keep KATU 2, shell KRCW 32 with 2 taking over production of 32's newscasts.

You're thinking too much into this.

Really, Fox wants 6-10 stations and there's a strong possibility that they'll deal WOFL to Sinclair to sweeten the pot.

Fox has shown strong indications that they want most of the New World group back. Those stations Fox spun off include KTVI, WDAF, WJW, WITI, KDVR, KSTU and WGHP. If you add KSWB and KCPQ/KXJO... that's ten. All but KSTU, KSWB and KTVI are in football markets.

KTVI, KSTU, WGHP and WXMI resolve obvious conflict markets. WITI no longer would be needed to resolve a conflict, but that wouldn't stop Fox from wanting the station back. WJW is VHF on both RF and PSIP, so that takes a potential cap headache off of Sinclair's hands. And that only leaves WPMT and WXMI.

Richmond, Des Moines and Portland will be clean duopolies through typical shells. If Fox just gets KTVI, then KPLR/KDNL will be a clean duopoly as well. NBD.

This Fox deal resolves so much, aside from two markets - OKC and Wilkes-Barre - the merger automatically becomes as clean as a baby's bottom.

Seriously. It's getting old and tiresome.

Stop.

Please.

I am not an employee.

I just like the things just the way they are in Oklahoma, Sinclair keeps KOKH/KOCB with KFOR/KAUT going elsewhere, but not to "New" FOX.

That's great. But the next time you post in this thread only to tell people how much you don't want KFOR to go to Sinclair, will be the last time you post in this thread.

We get it. You've mentioned it like three times in the last day.

Archived