MLB 2017 Season

Spring Rubber

I've noticed a pretty weird thing going on on FOX Sports Go. The only RSN I get is FOX Sports Ohio's Cincinnati feed, showing the Reds, Cavs and CBJ, with the Reds having priority and any overflow goes to FSGo. Turns out I've also been getting Indians games from FOX SportsTime Ohio despite not being in their viewing area or having STO. They're only on FSGo and not on TV. I asked FSO what was up on Twitter but they never got back to me. Another strange thing is that FSGo shows Reds games out to a week in advance, where Indians listings go out 2 days. I don't know if it's an opening week thing or what.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Len Kasper on the Cubs telecast just confirmed that this new Pitchcast is provided directly by MLB to all RSNs/local stations effective this year, which is why it looks pretty similar across the board, just with different skins to match each network's graphics package. Len also pointed out that the data has been pretty iffy in this Cubs/Cardinals game today, as it is falsely identifying many of Lance Lynn's pitches as sliders, even though you can clearly see that they're fastballs or changeups while watching the game.

Also, yeah, I heard that pitch speeds are going to be registered approx. 1mph higher this year, as previously the data was provided by Pitch F/X, but now MLB is handling all of the data in-house, and MLB's data is roughly 1mph higher than Pitch F/X.

Looks like MLB is really trying to take control of their sport's stats going forward, thus pushing aside all of the third parties who used to gather and present this data. How long until they come up with a sabermetrics alternative to Fangraphs?

[ATTACH=full]3821[/ATTACH] Another new thing I noticed on CSN/NBCS are little numbers appearing to the right of the current batter's name on lower thirds. I wonder what those are supposed to represent.

Position in the line-up. Someone might've mentioned it above.

Len Kasper on the Cubs telecast just confirmed that this new Pitchcast is provided directly by MLB to all RSNs/local stations effective this year, which is why it looks pretty similar across the board, just with different skins to match each network's graphics package. Len also pointed out that the data has been pretty iffy in this Cubs/Cardinals game today, as it is falsely identifying many of Lance Lynn's pitches as sliders, even though you can clearly see that they're fastballs or changeups while watching the game.

Also, yeah, I heard that pitch speeds are going to be registered approx. 1mph higher this year, as previously the data was provided by Pitch F/X, but now MLB is handling all of the data in-house, and MLB's data is roughly 1mph higher than Pitch F/X.

Looks like MLB is really trying to take control of their sport's stats going forward, thus pushing aside all of the third parties who used to gather and present this data. How long until they come up with a sabermetrics alternative to Fangraphs?

Interesting. I wonder if there's a special camera in center field (or near there) that is solely for this new Pitchcast? Each stadium (should be by now) are wired, and have special cameras for StatCast to use. I believe the RSN's can tap into the cameras live during the telecasts, but their main function is for StatCast.

Okay, here's what they did;

• They've been working on Statcast for a while now.
  • This year, it officially replaced the old PitchFX system as the statistics of record for pitch speed.
  • The new system is radar-based, and measures by maximum velocity rather than velocity at what was basically a speed trap camera
  • This is why the pitches are sometimes coming up faster than they did last year. It's more accurate, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has FOX Sports ever introduced or done a heavy refresh of their graphics mid-way through the baseball season?

I ask, because as I was checking out FSN Wisconsin's feed, these graphics popped up (Which look nothing like the current set):

IMG_3867_zpsb8y5s5jc.png

IMG_3868_zps6vd1qgwa.png

I have noticed that they've done a few touch ups to the L3's by making the colors a bit more richer, and cleaning up the logos and white/gray boxes. I'm not sure what the hell they're doing since there's a mish-mash of varying elements in the graphics package. This is no longer a cohesive look, but rather a mash of different types of graphics styles/colors/glossy/flat, etc.

[MEDIA=twitter]828387543368482817[/MEDIA]

Not the first time

Well the Super Bowl is an exception since it's not the regular season and it's arguably one if not the most watched game in the country every year.

What I was referring to is in the middle of the regular season. Has Fox introduced any new gfx package or done a heavy refresh of its existing one? I know they've popped out some new graphics during the baseball playoffs in the past, but that was before everything became standardized and the FSN's had a different look from the mothership.

• 1 month later...
It's Retro Night at Citizens Bank Park for the Phillies tonight with the Phillies and Padres wearing throwback unis and CSN got in on the act with matching graphics (with the exception of the scoreboard)

CSN Chicago does the same thing with throwback Cubs games, too.

A change for this year's MLB on TBS: the scorebox is now a standard rectangular box and the pitch tracker is connected to it at the top left of the screen...

20170709_125823.thumb.jpg.b522078eeabf511aed2ec6378f6aa34f.jpg

...although the tracker disappears when the camera changes from behind the pitcher's mound.

20170709_125813.thumb.jpg.434f5b7b300c76a808019506a6c383ef.jpg

Batter information is still at the top of the screen.

A change for this year's MLB on TBS: the scorebox is now a standard rectangular box and the pitch tracker is connected to it at the top left of the screen...

[ATTACH=full]4171[/ATTACH]

...although the tracker disappears when the camera changes from behind the pitcher's mound.

[ATTACH=full]4170[/ATTACH]

That reminds me of MLB Network's scorebug.

[ATTACH=full]4171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4170[/ATTACH]

That bug looks so tiny. It's real hard to read if you have bad eyesight.

I'm not sure how I feel about the AT&T Sportsnet bar...

[ATTACH=full]4233[/ATTACH]

They should have placed the pitch count bar on the bottom.

I'm not sure how I feel about the AT&T Sportsnet bar...

[ATTACH=full]4233[/ATTACH]

Honestly, if you covered up the logo there and asked which network it was, I'd be like, "omg, SNY got new graphics!" Seriously, the visual style seems like something SNY would do.

Honestly, if you covered up the logo there and asked which network it was, I'd be like, "omg, SNY got new graphics!" Seriously, the visual style seems like something SNY would do.

To me, these new AT&T SN gfx look like a combination of FOX's current look, sprinkled in with the previous look (the pillbox era).

We probably won't see until next baseball season, but i'm curious to see how the new FOX Sports graphics turn out for MLB.

• 3 months later...

Archived