Sinclair buying Bonten Stations.....

padrechuck

They have explicitly stated they want to acquire the big three more than anything else.

The ex-Local TV stations are littered with conflicts, meaning they would have to divest nearly half of them right away, and even after that is dealt with they are still well over the cap.

boy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The Paperwork Is Up!

The comprehensive exhibit & stock purchase agreement of the SInclair-Bonten transaction.

Each apps, including (WCTI), were filed 315 (transfer of control), so the licensee names of each station won't change after transaction.

Full purchase price (including the Esteem transfers) is $240M.

• The exhibit include request of satellite authority of the KCFW to relay KECI.

• The paperwork includes both WFXI & WYDO in the same app. WFXI has sold its spectrum in the auction. But they have requested continued satellite authority until it receives its auction payment for WFXI's spectrum. That station will go off the air within 90 days after it receives the payment.

• Also in the exhibit, they even asked for a waiver of the National Cap rules, just in case the reinstated UHF discount loophole isn't in effect (it becomes effective 30 days after it gets posted in the Federal Register).
    The National Television Ownership Cap. On April 20, 2017, the Commission adopted an Order on Reconsideration that, among other things, reinstated the UHF discount (“UHF Discount”), which provides that a UHF station is deemed to reach 50% of the television households in its DMA for purposes of calculating compliance with the FCC’s 39% national audience reach cap (“National Cap”)..The reinstatement of the UHF Discount will become effective 30 days after publication of the amended rule in the Federal Register, which is pending at this time. With the UHF Discount, the proposed Transaction would comply with the National Cap because STG, upon consummation of the proposed Transaction, would reach less than 39% of U.S. television households. To the extent necessary (i.e., if the restoration of the UHF Discount has not yet become effective), the Applicants request a waiver of the National Cap until such time as the UHF Discount Recon Order becomes effective.
    I'm sure their reinstated "loophole" will be "effective" before this deal gets consummated. :rolleyes:
  • What I'm kind of surprised about is they made the deal on April 14 (the day after the auction was
    "officially" over) but didn't announce this deal until a day after the FCC reinstated the loophole, which was on the 21st.

• 1 month later...
What am I'm looking at? What the hell?!!! I kid you not y'all.

The FCC has greenlighted the Bonten deal!!!!!

Including the ones going to Cunningham (KBVU, WEMT, WFXI, etc.) Also satellite exemptions were also approved.

This is shockingly fast. Like lightspeed rapid.

The fact that the stations were already shelled (i.e. before the grandfathering date in 2014) makes it an easy move there.

The fact that the stations were already shelled (i.e. before the grandfathering date in 2014) makes it an easy move there.

This is also the first approval since bringing back that UHF loophole.........

I'm just surprised of these extremely swift approvals at the FCC. The Murphy/Saga deal was also approved today.

This is also the first approval since bringing back that UHF loophole.........

I'm just surprised of these extremely swift approvals at the FCC. The Murphy/Saga deal was also approved today.

I think the quick actions are great! The goverment is being streamlined to be more efficient and to serve the people better. There is no reason this process cannot move as quickly as in the "good old days"...

Delays cost everyone money and time. Approvals and denials should be acted on quickly...while always allowing reasonable time for public input.

KBEX-TV approves this message.

It appears that a prominent FCC staffer wasn't "informed" about that greenlight on Friday.......

[MEDIA=twitter]881895529361408001[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]881895645526859776[/MEDIA]

Clyburn is a Democrat staffer. Aljti Paid Off is keeping her in the dark deliberately while making sure the Smith Clan gets the sun, the moon and the stars.

And he'll completely get away with it. Watch.

It appears that a prominent FCC staffer wasn't "informed" about that greenlight on Friday.......

What a croc of BS...

She knew exactly what the outcome would be BEFORE they even voted.

And did someone keep her staff in the dark?

Tell the dingbat to check her email more frequently.

She was NEVER out of the loop.

Clyburn is a Democrat staffer. Aljti Paid Off is keeping her in the dark deliberately while making sure the Smith Clan gets the sun, the moon and the stars.

And he'll completely get away with it. Watch.

It's Pai not paid off. Clyburn is lying on Twitter as she knew the deal was approved she is spinning and I'm calling her out on her BS.

It's Pai not paid off. Clyburn is lying on Twitter as she knew the deal was approved she is spinning and I'm calling her out on her BS.

Altji Paid Off is a foolish, corrupt SOB who is only looking out for Republican-controlled monoliths that can throw craploads of money his way to alter the rules to their liking, especially if it means more control over us. He shouldn't be a kiosk salesmen at a Verizon storefront, let alone one of three FCC commissioners.

You'd be crucifying him if he were doing this as the Democrat FCC head, but IOKIYAR - It's OKay If You're A Republican.

Granted, Wheeler wasn't perfect but he was at least trying to keep broadcasters like Sinclair and Nexstar in check from becoming monoliths, biased or not. Lap-dog Pai, on the other hand, is ready to allow Sinclair to a chance to possibly repeat Birmingham* in cities like Seattle, OKC, and Grand Rapids.

*Basically, because of conflicts, Sinclair moved the satellites of its ABC affiliate, WBMA, to subchannels on its CW and MNT affiliates while selling the 33 and 40 signals to Howard Stirk, one of its many sidecars.

Granted, Wheeler wasn't perfect but he was at least trying to keep broadcasters like Sinclair and Nexstar in check from becoming monoliths, biased or not. Lap-dog Pai, on the other hand, is ready to allow Sinclair to a chance to possibly repeat Birmingham* in cities like Seattle, OKC, and Grand Rapids.

*Basically, because of conflicts, Sinclair moved the satellites of its ABC affiliate, WBMA, to subchannels on its CW and MNT affiliates while selling the 33 and 40 signals to Howard Stirk, one of its many sidecars.

What would you like to see happen here?

Stop all transactions? For how long? And Why?

The stations can be bought by anyone with the right offer.

it's going to happen anyway, sooner or later.

Sadly local and mid-small owners have all sold out. Do we blame them for making tons of money already?

Who is opposing this and for what reason?

We already have a national public broadcasting system that is legally protected... even if not funded by the fed.

Let's be very clear...

Nobody is being denied access to television station ownership...there are plenty of stations still for sale.

What is the end game?

What I'm saying is that Sinclair isn't really a fit buyer for stations like WGN, WJW, etc. Not only that, unlike Nexstar, which easily sold its conflict stations and then some, Sinclair will try its damnedest to have quadropolies in Seattle and OKC and will actually give networks a hard time come affiliation renewal time. That much power is ungodly and could damage any network and put the affiliate model in jeopardy.

What I'm saying is that Sinclair isn't really a fit buyer for stations like WGN, WJW, etc. Not only that, unlike Nexstar, which easily sold its conflict stations and then some, Sinclair will try its damnedest to have quadropolies in Seattle and OKC and will actually give networks a hard time come affiliation renewal time. That much power is ungodly and could damage any network and put the affiliate model in jeopardy.

It's not that much power anymore and the old models are falling faster and faster.

I agree it sucks...but there are no other interested buyers.

I would love to see KTLA and WGN saved for "real" owners just like everyone else...hell make them museums.

Transmitter licenses are now being valued differently due to the auction...and future auctions. People are all on the smarttracker phones...not OTA TV...not even poor people.

People are all on the smarttracker phones...not OTA TV...not even poor people.

You're sounding like a much more reasonable version of mardek but I understand it greatly. Hell in other countries where pay-TV penetration is lower, OTA TV like Ten in Australia went bankrupt for the second time in 27 years. Maybe Sinclair buying Tribune will accelerate the demise of the affiliate model, but you may be right. OTA TV's ass is grass.

You're sounding like a much more reasonable version of mardek ....

There goes what very little street cred I had here...

I think all us "tv purist" are just gonna have to ride this out...it's not going to be very pretty. I hate the thought of a no-name KTLA or a Bla WGN. My local Tribune/FOX affil is "not annoying" to me anymore...now that will all change.

I think some large owners may get a kick in the ass once Clear Channel/IHM takes a dump.

My final thought on this...

I don't think everything now needs or is required to be political.

This is a business deal...let Sinclair screw themselves if they wish.

Archived