Sinclair buying Bonten Stations.....

padrechuck

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, I'm really not all that horrified by this. I never cared much for Bonten - WCTI has utterly self-destructed in the last 10 years under their ownership, and of the entire group perhaps WCYB and KECI are the only ones with passable on-air looks. (Yes, I know there's a lot more to stations than how they look, but in my mind your on-air look reflects your station's health/newsroom sanity.)

TBH, I'm really not all that horrified by this. I never cared much for Bonten - WCTI has utterly self-destructed in the last 10 years under their ownership, and of the entire group perhaps WCYB and KECI are the only ones with passable on-air looks. (Yes, I know there's a lot more to stations than how they look, but in my mind your on-air look reflects your station's health/newsroom sanity.)

Agreed, they might as well have been Sinclair stations for years. The positive is that it makes a Tribune acquisition that much more difficult...

WITN and WNCT blow WCTI out of the water in ratings, correct?

Agreed, they might as well have been Sinclair stations for years.

I second that notion, especially when you consider the tone of some of the special reports Bonten Media has done in the past that are parallel to the kind of stuff Sinclair tends to roll out.

I believe WCTI is in the middle with WITN finishing first and WNCT being in last place. WCTI has always been based in New Bern and their coverage has reflected it. Even when WITN moved from Chocowinity to Greenville may have helped them overtake WNCT in the ratings.

Also, when Piedmont sold WFXI/WYDO to Esteem, it brought them into the same fold as WCTI, and WNCT lost the ability to produce their newscasts.

I second that notion, especially when you consider the tone of some of the special reports Bonten Media has done in the past that are parallel to the kind of stuff Sinclair tends to roll out.

"Getting The Facts Right" is just Bonten's way of saying "Fair and Balanced" without using Fox's trademark. Bongarten did that with the Emmis stations he ran (remember "Clear. Accurate. To The Point"?).

Other than that, there will be a couple markets losing MeTV in favor of Sinclair's home-grown diginets. I'm sure Weigel won't have any trouble finding replacement affiliates.

Another thing: when all is said and done, Sinclair will be left without a station in the Phoenix market, where their brand of news coverage would thrive. I don't think any of the owners here want to sell, unless its newsless independent KAZT. As much as I didn't care for Meredith picking up KTVK, at least it's better than if Gannett would have sold it to Sinclair.

Another thing: when all is said and done, Sinclair will be left without a station in the Phoenix market, where their brand of news coverage would thrive. I don't think any of the owners here want to sell, unless its newsless independent KAZT. As much as I didn't care for Meredith picking up KTVK, at least it's better than if Gannett would have sold it to Sinclair.

Meredith doesnt have interest in selling (KTVK/KPHO) and neither does FOX (KSAZ/KUTP), Scripps (KNXV) or even TEGNA, despite the recent failures of KPNX.

As far as I'm concered, not one station in Arizona will be owned by Sinclair anytime soon.

As far as I'm concered, not one station in Arizona will be owned by Sinclair anytime soon.

Tucson is also pretty much closed off to them as well - Scripps and Tegna are present there too, Raycom is also highly unlikely to sell to them (the only company I can see buying them is Gray in a full merger as that is somewhat feasible) and Cordillera would have too many conflicts to make that deal work despite the fact I believe they are a seller right now.

Tucson is also pretty much closed off to them as well - Scripps and Tegna are present there too, Raycom is also highly unlikely to sell to them (the only company I can see buying them is Gray in a full merger as that is somewhat feasible) and Cordillera would have too many conflicts to make that deal work despite the fact I believe they are a seller right now.

TEGNA might sell KMSB/KTTU, given they don't make as much money as they could off of news at those stations. However, Sinclair would be in the position of building a brand new news department from scratch (unless they pull a WNWO and outsource the anchors from Las Vegas or Salt Lake City). KMSB has tried doing news on their own twice (first as KZAZ and then under Belo ownership) and both times they couldn't make it work.

TEGNA might sell KMSB/KTTU, given they don't make as much money as they could off of news at those stations. However, Sinclair would be in the position of building a brand new news department from scratch (unless they pull a WNWO and outsource the anchors from Las Vegas or Salt Lake City). KMSB has tried doing news on their own twice (first as KZAZ and then under Belo ownership) and both times they couldn't make it work.

Why hasn't Raycom bought KMSB/KTTU outright? If I recall, both stations are already being operated out of KOLD. Will that exceed the cap for the Tuscon market?

And I agree, Sinclair is not going to put the money/time/effort into establishing another news department on a station that's struggled to have a successful newscast that wasn't produced by another station.

Why hasn't Raycom bought KMSB/KTTU outright? If I recall, both stations are already being operated out of KOLD. Will that exceed the cap for the Tuscon market?

And I agree, Sinclair is not going to put the money/time/effort into establishing another news department on a station that's struggled to have a successful newscast that wasn't produced by another station.

KMSB would fit into the American Spirit portfolio.

If Raycom was able to buy KMSB outright, they would have already. I'm not sure if KMSB is a "top four" station (KUVE and/or KHRR might be ahead of them), but Journal was only allowed to buy KWBA with a failing station waiver, and I'm not sure if KMSB is considered a "failing station."

This company goal to own a station in every market...smh and here hoping the Tribune deal will die.

Same.

Tribune has poured a lot of effort into both KDVR/KWGN as well as KTVI/KPLR. Sinclair will surely stop any momentum those stations currently have.

KMSB would fit into the American Spirit portfolio.

If Raycom was able to buy KMSB outright, they would have already. I'm not sure if KMSB is a "top four" station (KUVE and/or KHRR might be ahead of them), but Journal was only allowed to buy KWBA with a failing station waiver, and I'm not sure if KMSB is considered a "failing station."

Are there even enough unique voices? I think *that* is the problem. It's why KMSB and KTTU have nominally separate owners.

Well, they might not be Getting the Facts Right much longer. I was someone who thought Bonten could be a dark horse for acquiring stations themselves...

They can modify the slogan to fit their needs...

Getting the facts....RIGHT!

Methinks Sinclair needed a quick way to overtake Nexstar's station count should the proposed Tribune acquisition go south.

They can modify the slogan to fit their needs...

Getting the facts....RIGHT!

Methinks Sinclair needed a quick way to overtake Nexstar's station count should the proposed Tribune acquisition go south.

Even if Sinclair only acquires the Big 3 in Tribune's stable to get into the three largest markets, they would be at an adjusted 35.2%. Not much room for anything else.

Buying Tribune whole would place them at 44.1%. Even after all conflicts, they would still likely have to sell off most of the rest of the ex-Local TV LLC stations to get under 39.0%. (Selling WPIX only, in addition to conflicts, would do the same being on RF 11, but their egos probably wouldn't allow such.) Plus that leaves Sinclair with no room to grow even more, which I am sure they will get mad at even if they have 65% national reach (unadjusted).

Even if Sinclair only acquires the Big 3 in Tribune's stable to get into the three largest markets, they would be at an adjusted 35.2%. Not much room for anything else.

Buying Tribune whole would place them at 44.1%. Even after all conflicts, they would still likely have to sell off most of the rest of the ex-Local TV LLC stations to get under 39.0%. (Selling WPIX only, in addition to conflicts, would do the same being on RF 11, but their egos probably wouldn't allow such.) Plus that leaves Sinclair with no room to grow even more, which I am sure they will get mad at even if they have 65% national reach (unadjusted).

Sinclair wouldn't

Sinclair wouldn't buy the big three, Sinclair specializes in smaller market stations - they seem to like being under the RADAR. Buying the Tribune stations 19 LOCAL TV stations (markets 40+ thru 70ish) that were bought a few years back makes more sense. Tribune is in a heap of trouble trying to unload it's major market group, bankruptcy looks on the brink yet again by the sheer fact they sold off Publishing, prime real estate and other holdings trying to stay afloat the last 2 years. Stake in food network is probably next, the real Ad revenues just aren't there.... they sell off $500 Million a year just to look good on the balance sheets.

They have explicitly stated they want to acquire the big three more than anything else.

The ex-Local TV stations are littered with conflicts, meaning they would have to divest nearly half of them right away, and even after that is dealt with they are still well over the cap.

Archived