Sinclair buying Bonten Stations.....

padrechuck

There goes what very little street cred I had here...

I think all us "tv purist" are just gonna have to ride this out...it's not going to be very pretty. I hate the thought of a no-name KTLA or a Bla WGN. My local Tribune/FOX affil is "not annoying" to me anymore...now that will all change.

I think some large owners may get a kick in the ass once Clear Channel/IHM takes a dump.

My final thought on this...

I don't think everything now needs or is required to be political.

This is a business deal...let Sinclair screw themselves if they wish.

If Sinclair screws themselves, thousands of people who are under their employ will be adversely affected in various ways. That's why I'm not rooting for their demise.

Altji Paid Off will be directly responsible for such a fate by bypassing the legislative process and reinstalling an outdated rule that enabled Sinclair to get to "too big to fail" status. Eventually we'll find out something stupidly incriminating about Paid Off that winds up surprising no one.

That's where we are at today. A vindictive Republican government is in place, whose obvious motives are to benefit companies like Sinclair. And it will eventually be replaced with an equally vindictive Democrat government, now motivated to take down Sinclair by any means. Repeat the cycle until something breaks, or the KBEX sharks emerge to slap us all upside the head.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scary part is that even the NAB is advocating for the repeal of the main studio rule. That would open the floodgates for broadcasters like Sinclair and Nexstar to eliminate their local operations and farm out LOCAL journalism efforts to a far off place. Seems kind of ironic for a company that probably gets paid to say the word "LOCAL" over and over again...cough cough... NEXSTAR...cough cough...

Broadcast TV probably has a few more decades ahead of it right now, but if ATSC 3.0 becomes a common reality, there will be massive consolidation of frequencies and shifts of programming.

The optimistic side of me hopes that if a company like Comcast buys a station or two in a market and uses the frequencies to deliver a bundle of channels to their customers. Given the bandwidth, it's probably a good "skinny bundle's" worth at current HDTV quality.

4K seems like a luxury that few may adopt, especially those who have finally replaced all of their analog tube sets with digital HD ones. Especially given the explosion of Mobile devices...

Granted, Wheeler wasn't perfect but he was at least trying to keep broadcasters like Sinclair and Nexstar in check from becoming monoliths, biased or not. Lap-dog Pai, on the other hand, is ready to allow Sinclair to a chance to possibly repeat Birmingham* in cities like Seattle, OKC, and Grand Rapids.

*Basically, because of conflicts, Sinclair moved the satellites of its ABC affiliate, WBMA, to subchannels on its CW and MNT affiliates while selling the 33 and 40 signals to Howard Stirk, one of its many sidecars.

Sinclair is divesting 10 stations from the papers which there selling Fox17 from what I read on TV News Check about a week ago.

The optimist in me roots for the demise of the megacorps that would break up their empires without killing off stations in the process - a new FCC chairman forcing divestitures, for instance. With the power vacuum would come a massive decentralization of ownership and a return to the "good old days" of sorts, before 2012 and the hell that broke loose then.

The pessimist in me knows that won't happen, and gives local broadcast television as a whole 5 years before it, at a minimum, loses the affiliate model for all intents and purposes (a la Canada). At least one network (probably one of the smaller ones) will probably fall victim to the process and/or go cable-only to survive.

I opine, you decide...

I think from this day forward the value of a station will be directly tied to it's estimated value as spectrum bait.

The industry want an all-pay model....a bunch of little cell towers replacing the traditional single big stick and kilowatt transmitters.

"They" would like you to use data minutes and not view free tv OTA.

The free OTA argument will become moot when the govt adds free data plans to those Obama phones.

I'm old school...

My grandfather was one of the first live sharks used in the TV show Sea Hunt...my mom did a few Lucy shows...my childhood buddy Flipper made bank in the old days down in Florida... too bad he got busted dry humping Sandy.

TV should not be viewed on tiny screens...that's why the hammerheads eyes are so fucked up.

I think from this day forward the value of a station will be directly tied to it's estimated value as spectrum bait.

The industry want an all-pay model....a bunch of little cell towers replacing the traditional single big stick and kilowatt transmitters.

"They" would like you to use data minutes and not view free tv OTA.

The free OTA argument will become moot when the govt adds free data plans to those Obama phones.

I'm old school...

My grandfather was one of the first live sharks used in the TV show Sea Hunt...my mom did a few Lucy shows...my childhood buddy Flipper made bank in the old days down in Florida... too bad he got busted dry humping Sandy.

TV should not be viewed on tiny screens...that's why the hammerheads eyes are so fucked up.

Do you know any whale sharks?

The pessimist in me knows that won't happen, and gives local broadcast television as a whole 5 years before it, at a minimum, loses the affiliate model for all intents and purposes (a la Canada). At least one network (probably one of the smaller ones) will probably fall victim to the process and/or go cable-only to survive.

I'm thinking Ion will decide it's finally time to shed all those stations it owns.

I'm thinking we're going to hit peak diginet real soon, if we haven't already, and we'll see a whole bunch of them shut down in the next few years as stations are sold to speculators.

As for the "Big Five", the CW will probably be the first to jump to cable-only. Or maybe even streaming-only.

• 1 month later...
The Bonten deal is DONE. Completed on Friday (9/1).
Bonten.

Esteem, now Cunningham's WFXI is going dark at 11am this morning (9/6), so WYDO will be the sole Fox station in the area.

Also WDKA's transaction to Sinclair proper was also closed on the same day.

Here we go with Sinclair being the largest TV station owner... AGAIN!

Archived