New set for NBC Nightly News

rkolsen

This set is fantastic. Well-made, well-lit, well-utilized.

I honestly don't mind the walking theatrics for every other story (either to see what works best to begin the stories, or just because); they all look good to me.

The lighting is better than that of the old studio, but there is definitely room for improvement. I think given the small, tight space and all the stuff they have going on, getting the lighting just right will be a challenge.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth mentioning here due to proximity, MSNBC Live with Alex Witt came from a familiar position in studio 3A.

[GALLERY=media, 1020]MSNBC Live with Alex Witt by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM[/GALLERY]

The movable video grid that once covered the breaking news desk is open, and through a window you can see the assorted video array of 3C. This is the first time in a while MSNBC has put the focus on the newsroom in 3A. Before installing the large video walls, this shot was common. Not sure if this is what to expect of MSNBC Live weekends, as it's possible something was being recorded in 4E.

[GALLERY=media, 1021]MSNBC Live with Alex Witt by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 15, 2017 at 9:45 AM[/GALLERY]

Wow...it looks so nice... As nice as 4E is too, I'm hoping they start using this again for some MSNBC Live shows, so it's not always in 4E. It's amazing that even almost 10 years later, the layout of 3A never seems to get old.

Worth mentioning here due to proximity, MSNBC Live with Alex Witt came from a familiar position in studio 3A.

[GALLERY=media, 1020]MSNBC Live with Alex Witt by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM[/GALLERY]

The movable video grid that once covered the breaking news desk is open, and through a window you can see the assorted video array of 3C. This is the first time in a while MSNBC has put the focus on the newsroom in 3A. Before installing the large video walls, this shot was common. Not sure if this is what to expect of MSNBC Live weekends, as it's possible something was being recorded in 4E.

[GALLERY=media, 1021]MSNBC Live with Alex Witt by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 15, 2017 at 9:45 AM[/GALLERY]

And as always, the MSNBC studios seem congested and claustrophobic.

It appears MSNBC has now covered up the Nightly studio with the monitor wall that formerly partitioned the newsroom and the Breaking News desk. Happened around 2pm or 3pm ET today, prior to that (as seen in pictures above) the Nightly studio was exposed. Not sure if we should come to expect it being covered up or if they're rehearsing in there.

Don't get me wrong, I like this new look from 3A, but it is so different from 4E upstairs. Besides the video walls, they lack almost any resemblance. It's gonna be difficult to tie in programs coming from the different spaces if there isn't one constant look.

Don't get me wrong, I like this new look from 3A, but it is so different from 4E upstairs. Besides the video walls, they lack almost any resemblance. It's gonna be difficult to tie in programs coming from the different spaces if there isn't one constant look.

Here's what I've noticed over the past few weeks regardless of studio: opinion shows have the video wall background and straight news comes from the newsroom backdrop. They could be using 3A on the weekends as that newsroom is likely fuller than 4E. Rows of empty desks don't look good on camera.

Here's what I've noticed over the past few weeks regardless of studio: opinion shows have the video wall background and straight news comes from the newsroom backdrop. They could be using 3A on the weekends as that newsroom is likely fuller than 4E. Rows of empty desks don't look good on camera.

Yeah that makes sense about the whole newsroom thing, although weekend nightly is coming from 4E tonight. Might take some time to settle in and become confortable in 3C. Either way it still is jarring to the presentation to use one studio one day, then use a completely different one the next.

MSNBC Live with Alex Witt on the air from 3A, and in the background I see what looks to be either Kate Snow or Megyn Kelly inside 3C apparently practicing shots or shooting something. It could be Kate practicing for Nightly (would be strange considering Jose didn't use the set last night) or they're letting Megyn do Sunday Night from there, as she usually tapes during the day.

MSNBC Live with Alex Witt on the air from 3A, and in the background I see what looks to be either Kate Snow or Megyn Kelly inside 3C apparently practicing shots or shooting something. It could be Kate practicing for Nightly (would be strange considering Jose didn't use the set last night) or they're letting Megyn do Sunday Night from there, as she usually tapes during the day.

Keep in mind that Jose flies into NYC Friday nights and is only in the building on Saturday. Yesterday he could have been rehearsing. While Kate Snow likely could rehearse any other time.

Looks like weekend nightly news plans to abandon 4E in favor in 3C starting next weekend.

[MEDIA=twitter]886653872281931776[/MEDIA]

( as a random thought, why isn't the logo on the tower altered to remove Lestors name for the weekend edition. )

The only reason they always did the Weekend shows from the news nooks and 4E was because those studios used robotic cameras and they didn't need to pay for a full crew. Now that 3C has robots (Which appear to be the old Vintens from 3K... They're certainly not new because NBC has been on a Ross Cambot buying spree lately) they can use it on the weekends without incurring additional crew costs.

The only reason they always did the Weekend shows from the news nooks and 4E was because those studios used robotic cameras and they didn't need to pay for a full crew. Now that 3C has robots (Which appear to be the old Vintens from 3K... They're certainly not new because NBC has been on a Ross Cambot buying spree lately) they can use it on the weekends without incurring additional crew costs.

That's what I figured with the robotics. CBS This Morning has camera operators for their robotic cameras but is there any word on whether CBS Evening News?

Also for what it's worth for the launch NBC Boston they bought new Vinten Pedestals and in studio 4E + the newsroom they bought the static PTZ Vintens.

Once again Dennis Degan does not disappoint with his behind the scenes photos.

[MEDIA=flickr]35932661945[/MEDIA]

Scroll through the gallery. Shows the set complete and under construction.

It looks like there are two entrances to studio 3A. The first one is the one that can be closed off and the second one are a pair of glass doors. The glass doors lead to the very side of the 3A newsroom which isn't visible on camera from 3A. It looks down the showing the row of desks. Additionally they continued have a wall of clocks like the fourth floor newsroom.

[MEDIA=flickr]35800443931[/MEDIA]

Sorry for reply to a post twice. I asked how many cameras are in the studio. He replied four - 2 robotic ones, a pedestal and a jib. I almost think the robotic ones are for the tight spaces around the news desk.

And the same pixelation issue on appeared again around the text while sitting at the desk Monday night.

Archived