New set for NBC Nightly News

rkolsen

I wish they could just go back to the 2007 3A and 3C sets. They were classic and timeless in my opinion. Sure, they could have updated the monitors a little bit, but MSNBC has made 3A so boring with those wrap around video walls. I think they will soon discover what the BBC discovered with their mid-to-late 2000s domestic sets — a set made of nothing but video walls makes for very boring presentation, especially for a rolling news channel.

I thought about this for a while but the issue with the BBC's Barco based sets was that there was no change. From what I saw the News Channel and the flagship bulletins used the same fake newsroom background and same desk through out. Additionally on some segments it when they used the monitor wall to feature interview segments it showed the vast emptiness. Here MSNBC and NBC are atleast diversifying it a bit with different backdrops and desks.

I would like to see them get a 4K or panoramic camera up on the roof for some live shots.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to see them get a 4K or panoramic camera up on the roof for some live shots.
I read that WNBC's main background on their new set is from 4K cameras from the top of 30 Rock.

upload_2017-6-24_6-45-0.thumb.png.1889439f54b2e895e23e9e438e349b1d.png

A more accurate floor layout that I whipped up. The Filmmaker's Destination floorplans are from the pre-MSNBC days at 30 Rock. This drawing takes into account what the current layout appears to be from photos online, AND historical factors. The red dashed outlines are the original locations of the six radio studios on the third floor. 3C and 3D were smaller than the rest, and over time areas outside of the original dimensions were annexed into their studio space. This space has the fourth floor above it, which is why the 3C WNBC weather center ("3C Annex") and main desk areas had a low ceiling over them.

A more accurate floor layout that I whipped up. The Filmmaker's Destination floorplans are from the pre-MSNBC days at 30 Rock. This drawing takes into account what the current layout appears to be from photos online, AND historical factors. The red dashed outlines are the original locations of the six radio studios on the third floor. 3C and 3D were smaller than the rest, and over time areas outside of the original dimensions were annexed into their studio space. This space has the fourth floor above it, which is why the 3C WNBC weather center ("3C Annex") and main desk areas had a low ceiling over them.

Very good! I was looking on the NYC planning website but they don't have planning documents listed. (Unlike Westminister where I was shocked at the documents for Broadcasting House).

I thought about this for a while but the issue with the BBC's Barco based sets was that there was no change. From what I saw the News Channel and the flagship bulletins used the same fake newsroom background and same desk through out. Additionally on some segments it when they used the monitor wall to feature interview segments it showed the vast emptiness. Here MSNBC and NBC are atleast diversifying it a bit with different backdrops and desks.

That's true about the BBC one and BBC News channel bulletins that they used the same fake newsroom backdrop for most of their run. But Breakfast, Newsnight, Hard Talk, Working Lunch, and several others used a variety of different backgrounds and setups. It was probably a practical solution in studio TC7, which had so many uses from general entertainment shows to the six o'clock news, and it was better than having to strike physical sets several times a day, which is what they did before that set. But I don't think it was ideal for the news shows. It almost made them feel like they came from virtual sets.

There's just something to be said about a real set with a variety of walls, styles, monitors, different presentation points, and opportunities for different lighting styles that make a set more dynamic. The original incarnation of MSNBC's 3A set switched up different lighting designs, graphics, desks, and camera angles to make so many unique looks for dozens of shows — everything from

to
, or
for Chris Hayes' weekend morning show. The original 3A had everything: a newsroom backdrop, a big-ish video wall (for the time), a wall full of monitors for different uses, and a plainer wall to the side. They could use so many different combinations of those backdrops to create drastically different looks for each show.

Sure, the video walls now give them a lot of versatility, but as I see it, the whole set just looks so flat. The new Morning Joe setup looks so much worse than what they used for most of the last decade. The fictionalized Rock Center that somehow extends all the way to Capitol Hill just looks silly and cartoonish, and the no-longer-a-roundtable table looks a little cramped.

MSNBC's 3A probably needed a slight update, definitely, but going for nothing but video walls is just not the direction I would have gone in.

[ATTACH=full]4099[/ATTACH]

Thanks you! This is exactly what I was looking for, I now understand the layout.

I read that WNBC's main background on their new set is from 4K cameras from the top of 30 Rock.

I know that WNBC's studio cameras are capable of 4K. They're the license upgradable kind.

The beauty shots for NBC Boston was confirmed to be 4K.

Since the newsrooms seem to be "open" based on the pictures it makes me wonder if they will be walking back and forth? If you remember those few Nightly News with limited commercial interruptions by some drug company they started out in the cubicle area.

And they don't have to worry about shows going on in the background now with Greta coming from D.C. So the entire 3A studio could be used as well or atleast show NN graphics.

Since the newsrooms seem to be "open" based on the pictures it makes me wonder if they will be walking back and forth? If you remember those few Nightly News with limited commercial interruptions by some drug company they started out in the cubicle area.

And they don't have to worry about shows going on in the background now with Greta coming from D.C. So the entire 3A studio could be used as well or atleast show NN graphics.

This would be a great time to post the picture you're keeping from us ;)

You know what it's been over a week. No reply and the persons name isn't on it.

[ATTACH=full]4114[/ATTACH]

Quick observation, that piece of equipment on wheels says "8H" on it. (Assuming the SNL studio)

Quick observation, that piece of equipment on wheels says "8H" on it. (Assuming the SNL studio)

I'm guessing it's a full-time piece used by the SNL crew, merely shifted away while the late night crew is off until August (when Weekend Update begins a summer primetime run).

I'm having a hard time visualizing which wall this is. In the picture those monitors look too wide to be in the position where the rear projector once was.

I'm having a hard time visualizing which wall this is. In the picture those monitors look too wide to be in the position where the rear projector once was.

It's the wall directly opposite to the window into the newsroom, where the giant "NBC News" logo on wood was in the NN Studio 3C

Now I wish I screengrabbed this one now disappeared Instagram story from a producer for Greta Van Sustren. The show was in NYC yesterday and she posted a video of her work space. She was working right where the weather center was. So she did a quick pan showing Greta in the studio side and then moved to her makeshift workspace. It showed the area that formerly housed Brian William's breaking news cube opened up and cleared out. In the brief second it made me think they were opening back up the window between 3A and 3C.

Edit: Found the image of the breaking news box.

[ATTACH=full]4086[/ATTACH]

You can see if you actually look closely that the pictures you see here are two separate spaces. The picture from the MSNBC studio appears to show an updated Studio 3A Annex/Cross into 3C. While the picture of studio 3C has of course very similar elements, the 3C shot shows a taller video wall (the annex doesn't have walls that tall) and the metal pipes are bent at the top to go across the ceiling. So I assume maybe the annex will also serve a new purpose in all of this. Likely for the new NBC/MSNBC close together brand. Makes me wonder what updates could be seen in 3A as well

And the pathway is now closed.

[ATTACH=full]4119[/ATTACH]

And they updated the monitors on the sides:

[ATTACH=full]4120[/ATTACH]

Do you know how many floors/offices NBC News /MSNBC has at 30 Rock? I assume that is some of the Morning Joe crew in that picture of 3A?

Do you know how many floors/offices NBC News /MSNBC has at 30 Rock? I assume that is some of the Morning Joe crew in that picture of 3A?

I think some of the PA's float down in the studio newsroom. But I think they Morning Joe crew maybe up higher up now.

NBC has a condominium arrangement in the building where they own their floors. Wikipedia says they own floors 2-16, 17-19, 21, 27, 46-47 and lease the 51.

To break down their square footage: Commercial Observer reports via NYPost that in 2011 NBCUni leased 475,110 sq ft in the studio portion on 49th street; 755,602 sq ft in 30 Rock "proper"; and 187,065 sq ft in the west building which officially is at 1250 Avenue of Americas (6th Avenue). All of this was subleased from GE during the years they coowned it with Comcast.

Comcast eventually purchased it all in 2013. 30 Rock is actually made up of those three buildings. NBC also has first dibs on any space when a tenants lease is up.

The big video wall the closes the pathway of the annex into the newsroom actually slides apart in the middle revealing what was once the breaking news desk.

The big video wall the closes the pathway of the annex into the newsroom actually slides apart in the middle revealing what was once the breaking news desk.

And replacing that breaking news desk is this neat dog run and employee dipping pool..

nbcdogrun.jpg.83f4303c3077824d603951aae6cc59b2.jpg

[MEDIA=flickr]5710948264[/MEDIA] I wonder if they plan on bringing this look back since some of the newsroom is now updated. Plus from the looks of it, there is some type of wall monitor in 3C where the NBC News logo in the background was.

[MEDIA=flickr]5710948264[/MEDIA] I wonder if they plan on bringing this look back since some of the newsroom is now updated. Plus from the looks of it, there is some type of wall monitor in 3C where the NBC News logo in the background was.

When WNBC moved in hey had a decent sized monitor wall I think 2 high by 3 wide. But when Brian Williams was installed as breaking news anchor they made a cube like structure that can be opened or closed. The 2x2 monitor wall had the caption "and the pathway is now closed" actually are the doors to BriWi's enclosure. The wall at the time split in two down the middle. I imagine it will remain if they plan on having it open.

Archived