Local holiday preemptions

ColDayNews

WCMH is preempting NBC programming for the Red, White and Boom! broadcast on Monday July 3. To my knowledge, the RWB broadcast is the largest and most watched LOCAL fireworks broadcast in America. As an NBC O&O, this was the one preemption that NBC tolerated at the time. One million people tune in - it's their highest rated broadcast and the station's biggest day. Any of your stations preempting programming for fireworks?

WCMH is preempting NBC programming for the Red, White and Boom! broadcast on Monday July 3. To my knowledge, the RWB broadcast is the largest and most watched LOCAL fireworks broadcast in America besides the Macy's fireworks in NYC and Boston's on CBS. As an NBC O&O, this was the one preemption that NBC tolerated at the time. One million people tune in - it's their highest rated broadcast and the station's biggest day. Any of your stations preempting programming for fireworks?

We have nothing here in South Florida so its business as normal. It will always be networks for us South Floridans, whether be Maycy's thing on NBC or A Capitol Fourth on PBS. Nothing local here.

Milwaukee has two major shows, but they're convenient; the first night of Summerfest has the Big Bang fireworks, which WISN carries on an hour tape delay to satisfy ABC, while the US Bank fireworks on July 3 are carried live by WITI, who only has the last hour of their 9pm newscast affected and no Fox programming.

It's all the networks firework shows. Fox17 will use second screen to show the GR fireworks sometime will give the full screen going in & out of breaks at 10PM news. I like Macy's 4TH of July fireworks in NYC.

Guest Former Member 207

Business as usual here in L.A. as well...KCOP usually runs an extra block of infomercials until noon on weekday holidays, bumping off the "I Love Lucy" hour, Divorce Court, and Law & Order: CI. That's the only real deviation from the local schedules.

KCAL will often intersperse highlights of different firework celebrations from various points in SoCal throughout their three-hour news block.

Every O&O in Chicago sticks to their network, but WGN still has Chicago's Summer Blast (the Taste Of Chicago fireworks) that takes up the second half-hour of their news at 9.

One problem. The Taste of Chicago no longer parallel the fourth of July holiday. And its been like that for a few years. This year's Taste is July 5-9.

When the Taste was a 10-day (now a 5-day) event that paralleled the holiday, it was Fox 32 that covered those Taste Fireworks specials, for a good chunk of that run. Fox also had its own staging area with performances from artist/bands prior to the fireworks.

Since the 3rd of July fireworks was at 9:30, the 9pm newscast was pre-empted till after the fireworks.

For the last few years, WFRV has done a fireworks meta-cast throughout the market, featuring Green Bay, Oshkosh, and (I believe) Manitowoc and Neenah/Menasha. Regional grocer Festival Foods sponsors the broadcast, and the fireworks displays featured within.

Not much in Boston for the first time in years. The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on the 4th will be seen only on Bloomberg TV, plus audio locally on WXKS AM. WBZ had carried it for years, with part of the show seen also on CBS, and before that, WCVB.

Not much in Boston for the first time in years. The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on the 4th will be seen only on Bloomberg TV, plus audio locally on WXKS AM. WBZ had carried it for years, with part of the show seen also on CBS, and before that, WCVB.

Oh the memories of days gone by...

As kids I remember how excited we would get the day of the 4th. When evening came, we would all gather around the RCA (our radio) and listen to the 4th of July fireworks show on the radio...

We were too poor to go outside and look up.

• 2 weeks later...
WPXI in Pittsburgh preempts the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks for the fireworks in Downtown.

I bet the WPXI Sales Weasel (account exec) that handles the Macy's account, gets a nice call soon.......ouch!

I bet the WPXI Sales Weasel (account exec) that handles the Macy's account, gets a nice call soon.......ouch!

Yeah, Macy's needs the money because next year, it will be The 4th of July Fireworks, presented by Hetap.

WXIA aired their hour-long Peachtree Road Race recap special at 8:00 followed by the Macy's Fireworks show; WSB had "Georgia Salutes America" live from Centennial Olympic Park (formerly the "Salute 2 America" Parade and in the daytime) from 8:30-10:00.

And I think I remember the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular being carried nationally on A&E (still partially owned by WCVB's parent Hearst) dozens of years ago.

And I think I remember the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular being carried nationally on A&E (still partially owned by WCVB's parent Hearst) dozens of years ago.

I remember that, too! It was back when A&E was a little more highbrow than it is now.

I remember that, too! It was back when A&E was a little more highbrow than it is now.

Yeah, and The History Channel followed it down the toilet- Disney's own Gravity Falls (Disney owns half of A&E via ABC) mocked it as the "Used to be About History Channel".

Yeah, and The History Channel followed it down the toilet- Disney's own Gravity Falls (Disney owns half of A&E via ABC) mocked it as the "Used to be About History Channel".

The home of PawnBob StarPants.

Yeah...

Back when the men were proper...and the women had giant hooters...like on Dog The Bounty Hunter...and that fishing boat show with those hermit kids.

Yeah...

Back when the men were proper...and the women had giant hooters...like on Dog The Bounty Hunter...and that fishing boat show with those hermit kids.

No, no. Well before all that.

Archived