Entravision buying KMIR/KPSE Palm Springs.

ColtFromGulfcoast

Looks like OTA Broadcasting has cashed out on its Palm Springs duopoly and sold it to Entravision, who already own the market's Univision/Unimas low-powered duopoly. So what do you guys think is next?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/105794

Perhaps conversion to a Spanish-language full power station, at least in part?

Perhaps conversion to a Spanish-language full power station, at least in part?

Either that or we see Univision and possibly Unimas on a subchannel of KMIR, similar to what Univision does with KUVI up(?) the road in Bakersfield.

Entravision is no stranger to English-language television. They have a few scattered CW, Fox and MyTV affiliates in the U.S. as well as that confused WJAL in "Washington" but if things remain as is, KMIR would be their first Big-3 station and I would be wondering if they plan on perhaps expanding further into English-language television. This acquisition certainly came as a surprise because if anyone was going to buy that station, my money was on either Scripps or Heartland Media. Glad I am not a betting person.

Either that or we see Univision and possibly Unimas on a subchannel of KMIR, similar to what Univision does with KUVI up(?) the road in Bakersfield.

Entravision is no stranger to English-language television. They have a few scattered CW, Fox and MyTV affiliates in the U.S. as well as that confused WJAL in "Washington" but if things remain as is, KMIR would be their first Big-3 station and I would be wondering if they plan on perhaps expanding further into English-language television. This acquisition certainly came as a surprise because if anyone was going to buy that station, my money was on either Scripps or Heartland Media. Glad I am not a betting person.

Considering that they simulcast KABE-CD 39 (UNI) and KBTF-CD 31 (UniMas) on KUVI's digital subchannels.

Based on reading the article linked above, I don't think much will change, since Entravision talks about cash flow and the transaction being "extremely accretive on a financial basis".

Especially considering the fact that Univision and Unimas are already in the market and Entravision does operate English-language stations.

Just because Entravision, who is predominantly known for spanish-language television is involved doesn't automatically mean we should jump to the conclusion that KMIR is going Spanish.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Riverside County the only place in the country that has two DMAs assigned to it? Palm Springs DMA is completely inside Riverside County and Los Angeles has the remainder of the county.

That's exactly right except for the part about being the only county in the counry assigned to two DMAs. I think you meant Palm Springs is the only DMA in the country to just consist of a portion of a county.

And according to Entravision, KVER is actually the leading station in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true because Univision actually outranks ABC in Fresno and El Paso, according to them and some other sources.

As a whole, California has always come off as weird based on how the DMAs are divided up in my opinion.

Also interesting is the fact that this is only the second combination (at least, to my knowledge) in America between a NBC and a Univision station.

Maybe next WLWC in Providence will be sold. It's just imminent at this point. These spectrum speculators do have stations in some markets worth taking a chance on for duopolies like WLWC, KUBE/Houston and others.

As a whole, California has always come off as weird based on how the DMAs are divided up in my opinion.

Also interesting is the fact that this is only the second combination (at least, to my knowledge) in America between a NBC and a Univision station.

Maybe next WLWC in Providence will be sold. It's just imminent at this point. These spectrum speculators do have stations in some markets worth taking a chance on for duopolies like WLWC, KUBE/Houston and others.

Providence has no room for a duopoly though (Nexstar has a grandfathered LMA), and WLWC likely would never find a good buyer as a standalone station.

That's exactly right except for the part about being the only county in the counry assigned to two DMAs. I think you meant Palm Springs is the only DMA in the country to just consist of a portion of a county.

And according to Entravision, KVER is actually the leading station in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true because Univision actually outranks ABC in Fresno and El Paso, according to them and some other sources.

Kern County is another one. It wholly contains the Bakersfield DMA, and the parts farther south and east near Palmdale are in the LA DMA.

Those are probably the only two though. No other state has gigantic counties quite like California.

It would be sad to see KMIR go Spanish. I'm not entirely sure if they will though. Last I heard, KMIR was punching above its weight in that market up against KESQ.

Kern County is another one. It wholly contains the Bakersfield DMA, and the parts farther south and east near Palmdale are in the LA DMA.

Those are probably the only two though. No other state has gigantic counties quite like California.

It would be sad to see KMIR go Spanish. I'm not entirely sure if they will though. Last I heard, KMIR was punching above its weight in that market up against KESQ.

They could just go Spanish on the .2, perhaps by having a split news operation. KESQ actually runs a Spanish news operation as well (although tiny in comparison).

Guest Former Member 207
Do any L.A. stations actually reach Palm Springs OTA?

Other than KCET and KOCE having translator stations in the Coachella Valley, no L.A. station reaches Palm Springs over-the-air; KVCR is technically in the Los Angeles market, but its primary focus is the Inland Empire side of the region, but they also have a translator station in Palm Springs . Distance and topography have a lot to do with it...Mount Wilson is about 140 miles from Palm Springs, plus several mountain ranges is what isolates Palm Springs and Los Angeles from one another.

I can't see Entravision jettisoning the NBC affiliation to a .2 or getting rid of it altogether. One thing for sure, NBC wouldn't have too many other good options, other than either going after one of the other low-power sticks or an last-resort option, affiliating with KESQ, giving them every major English-language network, plus Telemundo. The latter is very unlikely to happen, but in this age of mergers and consolidation, you never know what may happen.

Other than KCET and KOCE having translator stations in the Coachella Valley, no L.A. station reaches Palm Springs over-the-air; KVCR is technically in the Los Angeles market, but its primary focus is the Inland Empire side of the region, but they also have a translator station in Palm Springs . Distance and topography have a lot to do with it...Mount Wilson is about 140 miles from Palm Springs, plus several mountain ranges is what isolates Palm Springs and Los Angeles from one another.

I can't see Entravision jettisoning the NBC affiliation to a .2 or getting rid of it altogether. One thing for sure, NBC wouldn't have too other good options, other than either going after one of the other low-power sticks or an last-resort option, affiliating with KESQ, giving them major English-language network, plus Telemundo. The latter is very unlikely to happen, but in this age of mergers and consolidation, you never know what may happen.

NPG's familiar with the superfecta. They run it in their Yuma-El Centro market.

In that market, it's basically by default since there is no one else there and their strength scared away competition.

...and the place is a total Shi%thole...and stinky and hot too.

But the people are nice....that's the truth.

...and the place is a total Shi%thole...and stinky and hot too.

But the people are nice....that's the truth.

You should see the Dairy Queen on S.4th Ave. So run down, it looked like something straight out of the 1970s. Everything from the building/windows/screens, very outdated...and dirty. The place looked like it was converted from someone's house.

Anyways, I'm curious to know what Entravision plans to do with the Univision newscasts for Palm Springs. Will they still pipe in their regional newscasts to the area or will they have the resources to expand both news departments?

In that market, it's basically by default since there is no one else there and their strength scared away competition.

The local economy is no help. Yuma and El Centro have unemployment rates above 24%, leading the nation. It's a tiny market that economically is even smaller.

You should see the Dairy Queen on S.4th Ave. So run down, it looked like something straight out of the 1970s. Everything from the building/windows/screens, very outdated...and dirty. The place looked like it was converted from someone's house.

I went to take a look (it looks more like an old, 50s-60s walk-up restaurant than anything) and I also encountered...other things.

Like the Best Western that absorbed another hotel...across the street.

Or this bank that might have been in the middle of a robbery.

Or the squarest "O" I've seen in a Fox logo.

The local economy is no help. Yuma and El Centro have unemployment rates above 24%, leading the nation. It's a tiny market that economically is even smaller.

I went to take a look (it looks more like an old, 50s-60s walk-up restaurant than anything) and I also encountered...other things.

So it's a TV station and a Church too?

It's a dump. The only good thing about Yuma was Texas Roadhouse and that damn Cracker Barrel that conveniently had a kitchen fire the night before I went--thus prohibiting me from enjoying my first Cracker Barrel dining experience.

Archived