KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

Production of the newscasts moved into a trailer at Houston Public Media around the same time the new graphics debut, from what I've heard.

Here’s a pic of the inside of the trailer. Do you know if it’s a sports trailer they converted for news, a remote production one TEGNA had or something where they equipped it all themselves? If it’s the last on the list I’d assume the equipment is loaned as a lot of things would be needed to the last minute and a lot of the same items would be needed well out of launch, right?

[MEDIA=instagram]Bi0qKJAFYkU[/MEDIA]

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more like one of those trailers you'd rent to park long-term outside a construction site than a proper production trailer. It's definitely "custom built" as it's using an automation system, and I don't know of any traditional production trailers that come with broadcast automation.

I would imagine they do own the gear outright and it will be repurposed into their new facility somehow, whether it be a secondary control room or an actual production trailer or something else.

Heck, the digital clock on the wall above the monitor wall looks kinda old and dim. Wouldn't be surprised if some of that gear is stuff they rescued from their old facility. Someone on here mentioned they moved a lot of equipment upstairs after the first time the building flooded...

I think it's more like one of those trailers you'd rent to park long-term outside a construction site than a proper production trailer. It's definitely "custom built" as it's using an automation system, and I don't know of any traditional production trailers that come with broadcast automation.

I would imagine they do own the gear outright and it will be repurposed into their new facility somehow, whether it be a secondary control room or an actual production trailer or something else.

Heck, the digital clock on the wall above the monitor wall looks kinda old and dim. Wouldn't be surprised if some of that gear is stuff they rescued from their old facility. Someone on here mentioned they moved a lot of equipment upstairs after the first time the building flooded...

Okay. I know some production trailers and integrators are more than happy to customize to a clients needs especially if it’s long term.

Maybe some equipment could go to their little studio where they can have a backup if need be. If it’s just like what it seems it could fit easily in the back with probably less than two racks.

Was the KHOU MCR hubbed before the flood/will it be when they get back? I know after the flood I read that they were relocated (was it Denver or Houston)?

It was in the process of being unhubbed from WFAA when the hurricane happened. After the storm it was hubbed between WFAA and KUSA. Safe to say it will be in house at their new building as Tegna is/was in the process of unhubbing the former Belo stations.

Also, in reply to previous posts, I don't think KHOU's production control is automated. I had seen jobs posted for TDs and audio operators, etc. I could be wrong of course.

[quote name='H4UL4U']Also, in reply to previous posts, I don't think KHOU's production control is automated. I had seen jobs posted for TDs and audio operators, etc. I could be wrong of course.[/QUOTE] They are automated on [URL='https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/newsroom-automation/elc-mvs01']Sony ELC[/URL]. The monitor in the center-right of the Instagram post @rkolsen shared is the ELC rundown. The former control room was also automated with Sony ELC. You can see the ELC control panels in the Director's position (in the middle) [URL='https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21231571_1688224101250202_8138768604383771600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=9c4e12b439eedea4a0951f53c0c81eb6&oe=5C513357']here[/URL]. The temporary control room [I]has[/I] the option for someone to switch manually (Screenshot from the special discussed a few weeks ago in this thread): [attachment=4730:name] They were switching Great Day Houston manually with a Blackmagic ATEM out in the field, but I'm not sure if that's changed at all.

Didn’t someone describe ELC as automation lite?

ELC automates whatever you want it to automate.

Per the website:

ELC controls a wide range of both MOS and non-MOS devices. These include camera robotics, audio mixers and servers, DDRs, playout servers and character generators. Sony has an integration roadmap to ensure that ELC can be used in as many scenarios as possible. With audio mixers, for example, integration has already been completed with Wheatstone, Yamaha and Calrec products. This versatility lowers operational costs and protects current investment.

I [quote name='Weeters']They are automated on [URL='https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/newsroom-automation/elc-mvs01']Sony ELC[/URL]. The monitor in the center-right of the Instagram post @rkolsen shared is the ELC rundown. The former control room was also automated with Sony ELC. You can see the ELC control panels in the Director's position (in the middle) [URL='https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21231571_1688224101250202_8138768604383771600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=9c4e12b439eedea4a0951f53c0c81eb6&oe=5C513357']here[/URL]. The temporary control room [I]has[/I] the option for someone to switch manually (Screenshot from the special discussed a few weeks ago in this thread): [ATTACH=full]6600[/ATTACH] They were switching Great Day Houston manually with a Blackmagic ATEM out in the field, but I'm not sure if that's changed at all.[/QUOTE] I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing!

Archived