KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

Power is back on in their building. Already ripped up all the carpet that was in the newsroom.

That set screams FX Group. Wonder where the desk came from. The background would be easy to print and build in a week but that desk has to be more than a week old.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/09/06/khou-temporary-set/

Apparently the panels and the desk came from there old set. I wonder where this was stored?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KING 5 moved bc Tegna sold the building, which was in a prime part of town and way too big for what their current needs are, netting a ton of $$$. Different circumstances. Doubt there's gonna be much demand for KHOU's flood-prone property.

I understand that, but if I'm correct the city of Seattle or some developer was using that land where KING5 was at prior was for some new condos. My point was it going to take some time before KHOU moves into another building or if TEGNA going to be around.

Didn't park place go out of business? Wonder who is going to design the set?

The Park Place office is now an appliance repair store.

I saw it with my own eyes when my Lyft driver got lost a few months ago while I was in Pittsburgh visiting the TVNT Home Office.

Founds some more pics from digging around Twitter:

WFAA-housed KHOU Production Control and Master Control rooms. The Master Control room is the old Belo Hub by the looks of it.

[MEDIA=twitter]904000325014749184[/MEDIA]

The newsroom was completely cleared on September 3rd!

[MEDIA=twitter]904446713703882752[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...
What's that rig being set up?

The rack cases on the table are full of Blackmagic gear. I can see some Blackmagic monitors and two HyperDecks. The cameras are Blackmagic Studio Cameras connected by fiber, so there's probably some fiber converters in there too. All presumably switched through a Blackmagic switcher, with a third-party switching surface.

The rack cases on the table are full of Blackmagic gear. I can see some Blackmagic monitors and two HyperDecks. The cameras are Blackmagic Studio Cameras connected by fiber, so there's probably some fiber converters in there too. All presumably switched through a Blackmagic switcher, with a third-party switching surface.

Sorry I meant above their head. There's a long pipe that they started hanging things from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Allen Parkway is done. They're staying at KUHT until they have their new facility ready to go, but it'll be awhile yet; no site named.

Seemed like signs were starting to point towards that lately. Basically that building would have been gutted two weeks after they got back in, tops. Had they actually been progressing towards moving back in, there'd have likely been noticeable progress by now.

Hopefully there's been more progress than "nope, not moving back!" over the past two months.

Seemed like signs were starting to point towards that lately. Basically that building would have been gutted two weeks after they got back in, tops. Had they actually been progressing towards moving back in, there'd have likely been noticeable progress by now.

Hopefully there's been more progress than "nope, not moving back!" over the past two months.

I am wondering how much equipment will be salvaged and repurposed (either for their use or another stations). I could see this as a test case for TEGNA to experiment with new technologies like IP production.

It’s not often you can build a brand new facility from the ground up and I don’t think TEGNA has had any new builds recently.

I am wondering how much equipment will be salvaged and repurposed (either for their use or another stations). I could see this as a test case for TEGNA to experiment with new technologies like IP production.

It’s not often you can build a brand new facility from the ground up and I don’t think TEGNA has had any new builds recently.

KING 5 in Seattle, OK they moved into a new building; not necessarily a building that was built from the ground up.

• 4 weeks later...

A section of the George R. Brown Convention Center will be converted into a streetside studio & downtown bureau for the morning & midday newscasts as well as Great Day Houston. It should be on-air in March.

The primary studio site has yet to be announced, but should be forthcoming early next year.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/KHOU-plans-first-satellite-studio-of-its-kind-12430690.php

This could be a good idea for KHOU.

Not that the idea of a streetside studio is any less passé, but at least this gives them studios in two separate locations in the area, which could be a form of disaster recovery (in case something happens to one of the studios, they can get a broadcast team over to the other and back on the air).

This could be a good idea for KHOU.

Not that the idea of a streetside studio is any less passé, but at least this gives them studios in two separate locations in the area, which could be a form of disaster recovery (in case something happens to one of the studios, they can get a broadcast team over to the other and back on the air).

Yup. It's a smart redundancy idea, allows the station to claim some credit for helping to revitalize downtown while it moves its studios elsewhere, and provides a permanent, non-PBS studio facility that can be used for all newscasts while a larger studio is built.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived