KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

As others have said in the thread, the chances of KHOU returning to the same building in the same location seem pretty close to zero.

Once the roads around the Houston area open up a bit more and non-essential emergency supplies are able to move in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation unfold similar to how WVUE got back on the air from New Orleans post-Katrina, which took a month or so after the storm IIRC. One of WVUE's engineers had a great series of blog posts on the unreal effort to build a combined newsroom/studio/control room using flypacks.

Routing control through KUSA will work for now, but it can't be a long-term solution. The satellite cost for this has to be insane times two, since they're renting time for backhaul to both the studio and transmitter.

Where are these block posts from the WVUE engineer?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Friday evening, KHOU started airing real commercials during local time again. They are being played out from KUSA. Getting syndicated programming back on air now appears to be the final challenge to solve.

Edit: As far as Friday night/Saturday morning programming, CBS has placed CBSN on the network feed for KHOU to air. Athe top of the 1 AM CDT hour, the CBSN anchors gave a special mention to those watching via KHOU.

Edit: As far as Friday night/Saturday morning programming, CBS has placed CBSN on the network feed for KHOU to air. Athe top of the 1 AM CDT hour, the CBSN anchors gave a special mention to those watching via KHOU.

Wouldn't that be the first time CBSN has been offered on any sort of traditional broadcast platform? Good move on CBS's part.

I'm still alive. I had to evacuate a few days ago, we just started cleaning my house. My house had structural damage, and now we have to get new sheetrock, doors, furniture, etc.

Well thank goodness you and family are safe. I'm sure all of us here hope the best for you. Of course we are all here for you and offer whatever we can.

God bless

Khou looks to have the tegna font back and is running different colored l3

The Lower Thirds animate correctly again (title moves down for the gray top line to pop up, then the title shifts back up when the gray line fades off.) The bug is also different (less wide, no corner blue gradient) and more in line with WFAA's bug, so it looks like they switched production back to Dallas.

In general, this entire broadcast just looks more polished than it has most of the past week.

Interesting comments on a TVSpy article about the flooding. It comes from what appears to be someone from "the hub that controls KHOU". The commenter is from Winston-Salem which would put the hub location at WFMY. I'm not going to assume it's 100% real - I'll leave it to the experts here - but it's out there.

Jack, I work at the HUB that controls KHOU, but all their equipment that allows us to "see" and control thier station was taken out by the flood.....so...no remote controling is available.

...and we did send an operator their in person yesterday to work with them for the next week

so it looks like they switched production back to Dallas

I think this is the case. They're back down to two satellite feeds, having dropped the one relaying CBS network programming, and WFAA is now uplinking the KHOU transmitter feed.

Interesting comments on a TVSpy article about the flooding. It comes from what appears to be someone from "the hub that controls KHOU". The commenter is from Winston-Salem which would put the hub location at WFMY. I'm not going to assume it's 100% real - I'll leave it to the experts here - but it's out there.

Frankly it's not out of the realm.... Perhaps Tegna mini-hubs like affiliates (CBS w/ CBS, NBC w/ NBC, ABC w/ ABC) and that's what that quote may indicate.

And am I alone in thinking that the story of getting KHOU back up and going will make a fascinating read?

Frankly it's not out of the realm.... Perhaps Tegna mini-hubs like affiliates (CBS w/ CBS, NBC w/ NBC, ABC w/ ABC) and that's what that quote may indicate.

And am I alone in thinking that the story of getting KHOU back up and going will make a fascinating read?

TEGNA has two hubs on in Jacksonville and the other in Greensboro. I'm not sure about how it works now but I think others mentioned that Jacksonville handled NBC and CBS.

The MiniHub notion is out.... Just checked w/ Frank Macek w/ WKYC he said no affiliate minihubs.

In the words of Emily Litella, "NeverMind"

In fact, KUSA sent one of their EPs and the Vice President of News, Patti Dennis, down to the Houston PBS to help out.

21150239_10155735473088024_4095332740129827086_n.jpg?oh=499c3caf825e6e7877b28a3f4fe871d4&oe=5A20D426

I also know that my friend, who is the ME at KXAS, will be heading down to KPRC to spell some of the staff in the newsroom. The wall-to-wall coverage may be over, but I know that the news staff is completely exhausted.

Interesting that Nexstar and Graham are partnering, although it isn't surprising since Graham only has a small number of stations and Nexstar has no stations in Houston.

I'm still alive. I had to evacuate a few days ago, we just started cleaning my house. My house had structural damage, and now we have to get new sheetrock, doors, furniture, etc.

I'm glad that you're okay man. TVNT will keep you and everyone else in SE Texas in our thoughts.

Interesting that Nexstar and Graham are partnering, although it isn't surprising since Graham only has a small number of stations and Nexstar has no stations in Houston.

Um...KXAS is an NBC O&O.

Some people are saying Hurricane Irma will hit SE Texas/Louisiana.

It might be early to say, but I think Irma is heading towards the east coast.

That's because there is a hoax map circulating that shows Irma hitting the area about 10 days out, when the offical Track doesn't even go that far out let.

Some people are saying Hurricane Irma will hit SE Texas/Louisiana.

It might be early to say, but I think Irma is heading towards the east coast.

It's way too early to say, but if it continues on it's current current general direction, it would take it towards the Carolinas and Virginia. I don't think there are any models that take it into the Gulf.

It's way too early to say, but if it continues on it's current current general direction, it would take it towards the Carolinas and Virginia. I don't think there are any models that take it into the Gulf.

And this is why they said that it's too early to say. This morning's projections have it basically going straight up through the middle of Florida.

Archived