KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

As others have said in the thread, the chances of KHOU returning to the same building in the same location seem pretty close to zero.

Once the roads around the Houston area open up a bit more and non-essential emergency supplies are able to move in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation unfold similar to how WVUE got back on the air from New Orleans post-Katrina, which took a month or so after the storm IIRC. One of WVUE's engineers had a great series of blog posts on the unreal effort to build a combined newsroom/studio/control room using flypacks.

Routing control through KUSA will work for now, but it can't be a long-term solution. The satellite cost for this has to be insane times two, since they're renting time for backhaul to both the studio and transmitter.

Over time I'm sure they could cut a deal with a satellite provider or even install a dedicated fiber loop for the duration of the time they are working from alternate facilities.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As others have said in the thread, the chances of KHOU returning to the same building in the same location seem pretty close to zero.

Once the roads around the Houston area open up a bit more and non-essential emergency supplies are able to move in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation unfold similar to how WVUE got back on the air from New Orleans post-Katrina, which took a month or so after the storm IIRC. One of WVUE's engineers had a great series of blog posts on the unreal effort to build a combined newsroom/studio/control room using flypacks.

Routing control through KUSA will work for now, but it can't be a long-term solution. The satellite cost for this has to be insane times two, since they're renting time for backhaul to both the studio and transmitter.

Doesn't TEGNA have dedicated bandwidth or did they get rid of that?

KHOU is right now going to go temporarily off the air to change out satellites from KUSA to a CBS satellite (I am assuming either CBS is giving them a satellite or a TEGNA CBS Affiliate).

I am still thinking that graphics are going to be ran from KUSA and Master Control.

I am thinking that they will be going to run CBS programming tonight?

[quote name='brianpr3']wonder if this will spur them to move?[/QUOTE] The KHOU report on the previous page implied, at least to me, that the building is a total loss. Just think about that. The largest station in TEGNA's portfolio, in market #4, and they probably have as much of an idea as we do with regards to where they will be at next. Sadly, so many people and families are sharing in that exact same sorrow and grief. BTW, has anyone heard from @MXSans2 ? :/

Just think about that. The largest station in TEGNA's portfolio, in market #4, and they probably have as much of an idea as we do with regards to where they will be at next.

Fourth largest city, but it's market #8. Still, that's up from 10 in the last year or two.

One teenie weenie drop of water on a circuit board can cause a catastrophic failure in that device.

Nothing electronic will be considered "salvageable".

You don't stick it in rice...you don't dry it out...

It's done.

The sad part is they may have lost most the archive and historic tapes.

And the building???

Probably gonna be full of mold and stinky. The entire place will not suitable for a TV station. You don't re-build or refurbish a station that old, or one that has also flooded.

This is probably is a good thing for the KHOU plant.

And KHOU probably couldn't pick a better business friendly place to rebuild due to the minimal bs they will have to go through with the city.

You think they would back everything up to the cloud these days including the old archived tapes

KHOU started playing out recorded packages from KUHT yesterday evening and today they are able to display slides on screen for V/Os and take some live shots without needing KUSA, so they seem to be making small steps toward being able to produce newscasts from KUHT. The studio feed uplink to KUSA is now also being provided by a WFAA SNG van instead of the KHOU one originally being used.

TEGNA doesn't lease dedicated SNG bandwidth and never has. Gannett didn't either, at least not within the last 7 or so years. Their stations typically book space through their respective networks' affiliate news-sharing services.

KHOU is doing I guess intros that are edited over a production music piece. Still no commercials though..but I wonder when they will start. There is a news conference at 7:30 CDT, so maybe back to CBS programming tonight or tomorrow. This will definitely give the news crew some time to recover. They have Rekka and Jason Bristol with Brooks Garner right now. Rekka just made it in today as did Ron Trevino.

Staying in the company, were the studios of KBMT affected at all by the flooding? Replacing 2 studios would be so expensive.

Haven't heard anything about them being flooded, but they are in a tin shack right off I-10 so I wouldn't be surprised. If so, they're certain to get the same treatment KCEN/Waco got when they relocated recently ... leftovers from other Tegna stations ... while KHOU gets all new stuff. Just watch ...

Haven't heard anything about them being flooded, but they are in a tin shack right off I-10 so I wouldn't be surprised. If so, they're certain to get the same treatment KCEN/Waco got when they relocated recently ... leftovers from other Tegna stations ... while KHOU gets all new stuff. Just watch ...

KBMT and KFDM are located in the same area (KBTV moved in with KFDM from the Parkdale Mall when both stations got swallowed up by Sinclair).

So if KBMT got flooded, that means every station in the market did.

Nothing has been announced as of yet. KBMT's studios and KFDM's studios are literally right down the same set of feeder roads from each other (2 miles apart) and they are set back about 15' from the feeder road.

You are correct. Here's a map for proof.

IMG_2699.thumb.PNG.618260d794ecafd6ceeb5e7f5b96482c.PNG

And again, remember that Port Arthur-licensed KBTV is co-located with KFDM.

KFDM just expanded their studios last year, so they are now less set back from the frontage road. Neither station seems to be impaired, though the FCC disaster information report states that in Corpus Christi, KUQI was off the air. On social they are providing very little except for coverage from Sinclair in San Antonio.

Port Arthur was flooding bad today - 100% under water.

Ahh, okay. KTRK looks like they tapped out for the 20/20 special - they hinted they would take that - but the others still seem to be going. KPRC is doing commercial breaks. Dunno what KHOU can do at the moment...

Ahh, okay. KTRK looks like they tapped out for the 20/20 special - they hinted they would take that - but the others still seem to be going. KPRC is doing commercial breaks. Dunno what KHOU can do at the moment...

KHOU earlier did move to a CBS satellite. However, probably nothing at the moment. I am wondering if eventually KENS 5 is going to takeover some of the functions

I'm starting to wonder if WFAA had to bow out because someone complained that the ABC logo that's part of WFAA's logo was confusing viewers. Granted, it'd be really poor form to complain about something as trivial as that right now, but you never know...

The only good thing is that this is in the dead of summer when only "Big Brother", "AGT" and "Zoo" fans will get mad at pre-emptions (along with the usual soap fanatics, but that's what text recaps are for). KTRK is likely to take ABC/Disney's day-long effort tomorrow, and rightfully so. Spanish network Multimedios just announced they're clearing out their Saturday for a day long telethon (KHLM-LD in Houston is basically their main American hub by far).

I'm starting to wonder if WFAA had to bow out because someone complained that the ABC logo that's part of WFAA's logo was confusing viewers. Granted, it'd be really poor form to complain about something as trivial as that right now, but you never know...

That may be partially why, although for a different reason: WFAA cannot provide them CBS programming although it is a best friend for news coverage. They could have used KENS, KYTX or WWL in partnership though as well...

Archived