KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power is back on in their building. Already ripped up all the carpet that was in the newsroom.

That set screams FX Group. Wonder where the desk came from. The background would be easy to print and build in a week but that desk has to be more than a week old.

That desk is from the recently-replaced FX set that was used until last year. (If it's not, it's an exact replica.) The background looks a lot like what was used on the old FX set too.

It's a FEMA set.

It was staged in a FEMA warehouse in Wichita.

It's got little cubby's to hold peanut butter and canned water.

Pull a little string... and the whole thing inflates like a giant airplane evacuation slide.

(wink)

Can't believe it, but they're going to stay in the Allen Parkway building, according to Houston media blogger Mike McGuff. Apparently Tegna is A-OK with one of its largest stations flooding and getting knocked off the air every few years. Ridiculous.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/09/khou-begins-studio-rebuild-process-flood-Harvey.html

Can't believe it, but they're going to stay in the Allen Parkway building, according to Houston media blogger Mike McGuff. Apparently Tegna is A-OK with one of its largest stations flooding and getting knocked off the air every few years. Ridiculous.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/09/khou-begins-studio-rebuild-process-flood-Harvey.html

How is their insurer letting them get away with this?

It's a FEMA set.

It was staged in a FEMA warehouse in Wichita.

It's got little cubby's to hold peanut butter and canned water.

Pull a little string... and the whole thing inflates like a giant airplane evacuation slide.

(wink)

Can't be a FEMA set because if it were, it would have taken another 6-8 weeks to arrive.

He got KXAS Confused with KXAN in Austin. the last letter in the call letters are similar except for 1. S is Dallas and N is Austin. both are NBC afflilates but one of them is Nexstar owned.

All of which I know, but thanks.

I wonder if they are taking into consideration the flood plain setup. I bet if they are to continue broadcasting, there will be some more stuff to be there to help prevent floods. Might be some remodeling in the entire building including moving broadcast critical equipment up to the 2nd floor. It is an opportunity to pretty much build up a new station from the ground up.

So why not actually build a new station from the ground up?

I agree. They should. I am wondering if Tegna is trying to do this on the cheap and to get them back functioning. Considering the number of buildings that is in the same shape as KHOU, TEGNA management might have made the argument to spend $3-5M dollars to clean out and do a whole re-wire than to try and find a new building and possibly spend $15-20M dollars. They might have had the insurance company there before the video was posted on Monday and they might have made the decision then. I do remember that on Monday or Tuesday that the GM and probably some others with TEGNA management (remember VP of News for the whole group is there with them right now) probably did a tour and the insurance company might have said the building was not a complete loss. But, with the cleaning going on now, and once they remove the drywall, they can make the final decision

Maybe down the road after everything is said and done TEGNA will move KHOU into new digs. KING 5 in Seattle moved into a new building after so many decades in their former studios. It been a week since the flood, and I'm sure many of the staff at KHOU have to check on their families, their homes etc. Maybe management and TEGNA could discuss the issue and look at blueprints at new buildings and have a contingency plan down the road.

Maybe down the road after everything is said and done TEGNA will move KHOU into new digs. KING 5 in Seattle moved into a new building after so many decades in their former studios. It been a week since the flood, and I'm sure many of the staff at KHOU have to check on their families, their homes etc. Maybe management and TEGNA could discuss the issue and look at blueprints at new buildings and have a contingency plan down the road.

KING 5 moved bc Tegna sold the building, which was in a prime part of town and way too big for what their current needs are, netting a ton of $$$. Different circumstances. Doubt there's gonna be much demand for KHOU's flood-prone property.

Interesting that Nexstar and Graham are partnering, although it isn't surprising since Graham only has a small number of stations and Nexstar has no stations in Houston.

I didn't say KXAN... I said KXAS, the NBC O&O in Dallas. Learn your calls, please. :smash:

They're probably staying put because they own the building, and despite the flood it likely still has some value.

Let's get real: there will either be a real estate crunch or bust in the Houston metro in the wake of this storm. Tens of thousands of properties are going to be condemned. Renting ANY property that can withstand a 1,000 year flood is going to get expensive. Tegna has to rebuild operations anyway. To do that on top of getting fleeced in the market trying to find a flood-proof home for KHOU is probably too much.

It's a tough situation, but I don't know that I can blame Tegna for it. They'll have the insurance money to rebuild and reinforce what they already have. It's very likely a money pit otherwise.

It's a tough situation, but I don't know that I can blame Tegna for it. They'll have the insurance money to rebuild and reinforce what they already have. It's very likely a money pit otherwise.

I have good information (EXCLUSIVE) that Tegna is taking this very seriously....

Meet Bob and Ariel...your new KHOU "Newsreaders."..

khouanchors.jpg.f4e87d3c684ded7e6d55665dbc10c067.jpg

They are NOT "Anchors"...because they both float*!

*air sold separately

get it??

"bob"

Maybe next time KHOU should buy this device or something similar:

There are many types of flood barriers that rise with the tides. They look a lot sturdier than what KHOU had.

I was going through Instagram trying to find a previous image showing staff of a Houston station walking over a flood barrier that they assembled either before a hurricane or a large rain system. But I couldn't find it.

Also there's this: http://abc13.com/weather/how-can-you-flood-proof-your-home-tips-inside/1367439/

They could be doing an extensive remodel of the building so that critical functions are moved to the 2nd floor and they do modifications to better withstand flooding.

Remember WVUE didn't move from their building after Katrina, so staying put after extensive damage isn't unheard of.

I wonder if they are taking into consideration the flood plain setup. I bet if they are to continue broadcasting, there will be some more stuff to be there to help prevent floods. Might be some remodeling in the entire building including moving broadcast critical equipment up to the 2nd floor. It is an opportunity to pretty much build up a new station from the ground up.

Yes,

If they decide to flood proof that place and build ^up^...then cool.

But...

They will still fill the place with cheap Chinese electronics and crappy office furniture.

The employees are the ones that will stiff suffer.

Did they lose any live trucks?

Yes,

If they decide to flood proof that place and build ^up^...then cool.

But...

They will still fill the place with cheap Chinese electronics and crappy office furniture.

The employees are the ones that will stiff suffer.

Did they lose any live trucks?

I dont think they did. I know the Weather Tracker was live on Sunday and more than likely, whatever live trucks they did have were out covering stories. Probably the employees personal cars did get flooded out

Archived