KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was another video posted as well by another staffer where we see the untouched upstairs, still with personal belongings scattered around from people staying in the building during the hurricane.

It’s quite sad to see this studio go. Geez, KHOU has been there for 57 years. KHOU anchors old and new have worked here. I’ve seen the live videos, and they had ended the video crying. I feel the same for KHOU too. I hope KHOU’s new studio survives hurricanes.:(:(

Looks good. Wonder how much of it will be reused in the new building or their satellite studio.

RKOlsen, wouldn't be surprised if most of this gets reused. In fact, parts of this (including the homebase) looks like the Tegna set in a can that got flooded. Or it could be reused by Houston Public Media once they get those spaces. The other question remains with the GRB setup, is will KHOU move over there until they get a new homebase setup.

RKOlsen, wouldn't be surprised if most of this gets reused. In fact, parts of this (including the homebase) looks like the Tegna set in a can that got flooded. Or it could be reused by Houston Public Media once they get those spaces. The other question remains with the GRB setup, is will KHOU move over there until they get a new homebase setup.

One thing that concerns me is that the downtown studio space is small. I think it would almost be all studio. I don’t know if they could fit in a control room in.

One thing that concerns me is that the downtown studio space is small. I think it would almost be all studio. I don’t know if they could fit in a control room in.

Good point. But then the other question will still remain is where will they build the new studio. I am going to think it will be in Houston proper (granted that Houston is a massive city)..I just wonder if they will go straight into Downtown (Which is dead after 6 PM)..or if they will either rent some office space and/or build from scratch. That is admittedly speculation, but it will be exciting to see what is going to happen.

The unique thing about KHOU's Allen Parkway studios was that they were the only Houston station located in/close to Downtown.

KTRK, KRIV, KPRC and Univision are located fairly close to one another in the Upper Kirby to Sharpstown area. Telemundo is across town.

It will be interesting to see if KHOU levitates towards the other stations location or somewhere totally different.

Good point. But then the other question will still remain is where will they build the new studio. I am going to think it will be in Houston proper (granted that Houston is a massive city)..I just wonder if they will go straight into Downtown (Which is dead after 6 PM)..or if they will either rent some office space and/or build from scratch. That is admittedly speculation, but it will be exciting to see what is going to happen.

Somehow, I don't think it will be downtown, unless it is part of a mixed-use tower or similar development. The price of building a full-sized television station, even in this era, probably doesn't square well with the best use of the land specifically in that part of the city, where land values are still the highest the most desirable city blocks are becoming fewer and fewer. Most of the construction downtown has been midrises or skyscrapers in the past decade, so a two or three story space probably wouldn't make as much sense based on that criteria. The last two schools built in downtown even have been 5 or 6 stories.

That area is definitely not dead in the evenings, especially around the GRB, where they are looking at placing the secondary studio. Each time I've visited over the past few years, there are progressively more and more residents actually out and about and doing things. Having Discovery Green, all of the hotels & restaurants and all the new apartments nearby with the two additional light rail lines has made a noticeable impact. This is even on days when there aren't games going on at Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center or BBVA Compass Stadium.

When KHOU finally pulls out, it will be the end of an era. KPRC once had a downtown bureau one of of the higher levels of a 12-story office building next door to KHOU's studios, but they left at some point in the 90s.

Looks like we were bamboozled. I noticed the other day that the temporary set looked different, it looks like they moved it and compressed it into one end of the studio a while ago to build the new set.

This video from last week shows the studio layout, which seems to be different than I remember from previous videos (I don't recall them ever walking into the studio from behind the duratrans)

The brick accents and lack of a traditional news desk just shout "Designed for PBS" to me. My guess is the base set stays when KHOU inevitability moves out. Maybe minus the monitor arrays (at least in their current layout. The array behind the anchors does not appear to be installed permanently.)

Looks like we were bamboozled. I noticed the other day that the temporary set looked different, it looks like they moved it and compressed it into one end of the studio a while ago to build the new set.

This video from last week shows the studio layout, which seems to be different than I remember from previous videos (I don't recall them ever walking into the studio from behind the duratrans)

The brick accents and lack of a traditional news desk just shout "Designed for PBS" to me. My guess is the base set stays when KHOU inevitability moves out. Maybe minus the monitor arrays (at least in their current layout. The array behind the anchors does not appear to be installed permanently.)

Looks like they got a decent setup there set and office wise.

I was looking at the little multiviewer showing all their bonded units in that large monitor wall which got me thinking are they able to use their microwave vans? I assume all the receive sites survived but the issue would be getting them back to base and then to KHOU North.

• 1 month later...

Glad it sounded like the others were there to help. Reminded me of when WBAL and WJZ were evacuated. WBAL went to MPT (they apparently have a dedicated STL from MPT to TV Hill) and WJZ worked out of WBFF' s garage. When WMAR was well broken into and evacuated WJZ helped them get on air as I believe their transmitter is either on JZ'S property or in the building. But everyone reached out.

• 1 month later...

So, KHOU will be going with a two studio format with the new homebase being west of the 610 Loop, it means that KTRK and KRIV will be the closest to downtown Houston.

(Also for history sake, KRIV also used to be located on Westheimer, but I do not think in the exact same building)

This has an operational impact as well with WFAA as it is more than likely that MC will be their until the final move next year.

In terms of any gfx changes might be until the May book at the earliest when the mini studio opens up.

I give them credit considering that they are getting back on their feet and I hope that the current set at Houston Public Media gets donated to them when they finally move on over to the new digs at Westheimer

So, KHOU will be going with a two studio format with the new homebase being west of the 610 Loop, it means that KTRK and KRIV will be the closest to downtown Houston.

(Also for history sake, KRIV also used to be located on Westheimer, but I do not think in the exact same building)

This has an operational impact as well with WFAA as it is more than likely that MC will be their until the final move next year.

In terms of any gfx changes might be until the May book at the earliest when the mini studio opens up.

I give them credit considering that they are getting back on their feet and I hope that the current set at Houston Public Media gets donated to them when they finally move on over to the new digs at Westheimer

One studio for news, one studio for their pay-for-play 'Good Day Houston' show.

When I initially heard that their studio will be in a office tower I was wondering how they were going to manage the ceiling height and thus low lighting grid height. But since the studios are going to be on the first floor it won’t look so bad. Good Day Houston could easily use the large glass windows as a back drop and the news studio I imagine will be walled off.

As some the property managers mentioned they were concerned about the 8 satellite dishes on the roof made me think why won’t they get a Simulsat. A five meter wide dish can see satellites in a 70° arc (essentially most of the US) and can receive feeds from up to 35 satellites.

In that area, the three stations (KTRK/KHOU/KRIV) will be very near each other. And the new location will only be about 10 minutes from KHOU's old building. KPRC will be the furthest out, located almost in Fort Bend County. But the proximity to downtown is irrelevant. Not a lot of news happens downtown, and the proximity of the new location to two major expressways will expedite getting anywhere (although Houston's soul crushing traffic doesn't make getting anywhere easy). Most office towers in the Galleria area have parking garages. There isn't a mention of that in the article. If there is one, I wonder if it will accommodate live trucks. Also, satellite dishes aren't necessarily an issue. They can be placed anywhere, such as the transmitter site, and linked by fiber. Considering how long KHOU has been in temporary space, they're probably doing that already.

One studio for news, one studio for their pay-for-play 'Good Day Houston' show.

When I initially heard that their studio will be in a office tower I was wondering how they were going to manage the ceiling height and thus low lighting grid height. But since the studios are going to be on the first floor it won’t look so bad. Good Day Houston could easily use the large glass windows as a back drop and the news studio I imagine will be walled off.

As some the property managers mentioned they were concerned about the 8 satellite dishes on the roof made me think why won’t they get a Simulsat. A five meter wide dish can see satellites in a 70° arc (essentially most of the US) and can receive feeds from up to 35 satellites.

FYI, it’s Great Day Houston, not Good Day.

FYI, it’s Great Day Houston, not Good Day.

I guess the question is, will KHOU start shifting some of their shows over to the GRB studios (i.e. possibly noon newscast as well). This next year will be very interesting for KHOU for sure.

Archived