Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

Just heard from WJXT at the end of their 11 p.m. news tonight:

News4Jax - The Morning Show will be normal from 6:00-10:00 a.m.

Children's Programming (E/I) is moving from Sunday to tomorrow from 12:00 Noon to 3:00 p.m.

News4Jax will offer non-stop coverage from 4:00 p.m.-12:00 midnight (Saturdays is usually just half-hours at 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m.)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if Directv/Uverse will start up their Severe Weather Channel again as Irma gets closer. So far I haven't seen anything yet.

The news/weather mix channel (361-1) starts at 11 am Central Saturday, while the local affiliate's channel (362-2) starts at 1130 am Saturday. My guess is that they may rotate the Miami, West Palm Beach and Fort Myers stations first, then go northward from there. That's what they did when Harvey came in (Corpus Christi, San Antonio, then Houston).

So, will network affiliates in states out west where the wildfires are happening be forced to carry extended hurricane coverage?

Most likely. NBC will be pre-empting Meet The Press, actually.

I expect that they'll allow some opting out though. WPVI didn't carry ABC's extended Harvey special reports, and I'm not sure what their plan is for Irma.

So, will network affiliates in states out west where the wildfires are happening be forced to carry extended hurricane coverage?
We're too busy watching police chases in Los Angeles to care. Three on Friday alone including during most of the 10 PM and all of the 11 pm newscasts.

Irma's path this morning has shifted west. Now expected to hit the west coast between Naples and Port Charlotte. Miami won't see 100 mph winds.

I'd doubt that.. Miami can still see 100mph as hurricane Force winds will still go 70 miles from the eye

If your in Florida:

Comcast and Spectrum opened their wifi hotspots for free. They are xfinitywifi and spectrumwifi, respectively. I believe Comcast and Spectrum have a deal with other cable companies that allows you to login to other cable company hotspots with your credentials.

Verizon is waving overage fees for Talk, Text and Data in some parts of Florida.

Irma's path this morning has shifted west. Now expected to hit the west coast between Naples and Port Charlotte. Miami won't see 100 mph winds.

You can't assume that. The shift west places Miami on, what weather people call, the "dirty side of the storm". The eastern side of these storms have the worst winds, highest gusts and most tornados. Irma is 500 miles wide. The center of the storm moving to the west doesn't give anybody a free pass.

We're too busy watching police chases in Los Angeles to care. Three on Friday alone including during most of the 10 PM and all of the 11 pm newscasts.

There will be LA police chases at the same time CNN unironically plays Ted Turner's apocalypse-confirming "doomsday tape."

Who knew WMOR had a "studio". I'd expect they'd be in some office building where in order to meet the studio requirement would be a prosumer camera with an HDSDI output with a cable strewn through the hall way to master control.

WMOR might, might be part of a disaster recovery plan for WESH. Since WESH is no longer in the direct path of the storm they might have felt comfortable providing it to WTSP.

At least TEGNA managed to get a plan together before there was water in the station this time. :rolleyes:

Left Miami last night for Irma and last minute it decides to turn west. I am currently in Orlando riding it out.

Most likely. NBC will be pre-empting Meet The Press, actually.

I expect that they'll allow some opting out though. WPVI didn't carry ABC's extended Harvey special reports, and I'm not sure what their plan is for Irma.

Sorry, I meant if the affiliates have wildfires they could/should be covering.

The news/weather mix channel (361-1) starts at 11 am Central Saturday, while the all-weather mix channel (362-2) starts at 1130 am Saturday. My guess is that they may rotate the Miami, West Palm Beach and Fort Myers stations first, then go northward from there. That's what they did when Harvey came in (Corpus Christi, San Antonio, then Houston).

Looks like the channel is on the air. They're using WSVN for Miami in addition to the other Scripps/Hearst stations.

Sorry to double post but WJXT has changed plans for Hurricane Irma coverage.

Children's programming was supposed to start at 12:00 Noon, but instead, WJXT has been running coverage since 12:00 Noon. As of this post, its still on but if they leave at 1:00 p.m., they're expected to be back on at 4:00 p.m. which will run until 12:00 Midnight.

The Sentinel said that Orlando stations will likely pacify the college football fans for the day by not breaking into those games and having commercial break updates, then go wall-to-wall when the games are over. Likely the same for Jacksonville (and I can't say I blame them; the last thing you need on your switchboard/Facebook is Bob McRazorbacksFan annoyed you're pre-empting the game in this situation, and this gives plenty of time to position everyone before landfall). And if they do go wall-to-wall, all the stations in Orlando except WKMG have sister stations with nothing airing to bump network stuff over to (WKMG will blow out their .2 Cozi in that case).

WESH is moving the Notre Dame game to WKCF.

More details on CBS's plans for Sunday...

On Sunday, as Hurricane Irma is expected to make landfall in Florida, CBS News will air special live coverage all day beginning at 6:00 am, anchored by Charlie Rose, Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell. They will also anchor a live, special edition of CBS This Morning (7-9 am) on Sunday, followed by CBS Sunday Morning (9-10:30 am) and Face the Nation (check local listings). Glor and Mason will co-anchor a CBS News Special Report (11:30 am-noon) followed by an extended CBS News Special Report later that day (5-6 pm).

Basically it seems outside their NFL commitments CBS is going to be in rolling coverage tomorrow from morning up to primetime.

For NBC, internal messaging indicates six hours of coverage 6 AM to Noon ET pre-empting MTP as special weekday edition of Today. Beyond that the notification is to anticipate multiple special reports during its sports programming of varying frequency/length depending on developments.

On ABC, it also has six hours of coverage 6 AM to Noon between a special GMA and two live editions of This Week. Beyond that is unknown but ABC is by far the lightest on Sunday in terms of sports committments with only one afternoon hour block for X Games.

I'd doubt that.. Miami can still see 100mph as hurricane Force winds will still go 70 miles from the eye
Miami is nearly out of the cone zone. It is not going to get any major impact now. It has dodged a bullet once again. If I were in Miami, and not in a flooding zone, I'd head home and ride out the storm there. If I was on the west coast or Keys, I would get out yesterday.

Miami is nearly out of the cone zone. It is not going to get any major impact now. It has dodged a bullet once again. If I were in Miami, and not in a flooding zone, I'd head home and ride out the storm there. If I was on the west coast or Keys, I would get out yesterday.

The cone zone indicates where the eye of the storm can possibly go. The hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the eye. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will still get the rain and the wind. They're already have 25,000 without power there and the main part of the storm hasn't even arrived yet.

Archived