2017-18 NHL season

Viper550

New team, new chaos!

Golden Knights are with The Network Formerly Known Outside of Seattle as Root Sports. Predictably, the scoreboard is very much like the MLB graphics. Meanwhile, their first preseason game is also being carried in Canada by a certain other Sportsnet (since it involves the Canucks); they've unusually chosen to give them the abbreviation "VGK" (AT&T does not have this problem, as it has no abbreviations, just logos). I was predicting "LV" or even "VGS" or "VEG".

Speaking of the Canucks, they have a new radio home, having jumped from a TSN-owned sports talk station to a brand new, Rogers-owned Sportsnet sports talk station. On the other hand, TSN nabbed the Canadiens English regional television rights (they have been the long-time French rightsholder).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

USA has Suits on that night (April 18) and doesn't want to throw off viewers and prefers to air all the episodes consecutively, it looks like. Meanwhile, CNBC has that Staten Island Hustle show which got in TSA trouble when they tried to pass through that funny suitcase, so I guess that's where their priorities somehow lay.

Meanwhile it's going to be odd to have no Blackhawks in the playoffs, and the Wild will do their usual first round burn-out, so hopefully it's just an entertaining playoffs all around (and the Penguins get booted somewhere along the way).

NBC will air the Maple Leafs in primetime again when they air Game 2 of their series with Boston on Saturday. NBC aired the Stadium Series game between the Maple Leafs and Capitals back in March from the Naval Academy.

I thought that Bravo would have made more sense than Golf Channel. I can only imagine the pissed off phone calls, tweets, etc people are going to make, especially if Golf Channel is in a luxury tier of their cable package.

Consider Bravo’s content and who that channel is aimed towards.

Sportsnet will televise the Jets and Wild series on Wednesday, CBC will air the remaining two series (Flyers/Penguins and Kings/Knights).

On Thursday, CBC will televise the Bruins and Leafs while Sportsnet will the Devils/Lightning followed by Avs/Preds and Sportsnet 360 will air the Blue Jackets/Caps followed by the Sharks/Ducks.

(Sportsnet One will presumably be the home of the Jays for a little while).

Thoughts: Rogers will be indeed producing 4 series, the 2 Canadian teams, Penguins which doesn't surprise me, the fact they may be producing the Kings/Knights series is surprising to me as well (unless they decide to simulcast a U.S. feed on CBC). Thought they might want to produce the Preds series instead.

Sportsnet will televise the Jets and Wild series on Wednesday, CBC will air the remaining two series (Flyers/Penguins and Kings/Knights).

On Thursday, CBC will televise the Bruins and Leafs while Sportsnet will the Devils/Lightning followed by Avs/Preds and Sportsnet 360 will air the Blue Jackets/Caps followed by the Sharks/Ducks.

(Sportsnet One will presumably be the home of the Jays for a little while).

Thoughts: Rogers will be indeed producing 4 series, the 2 Canadian teams, Penguins which doesn't surprise me, the fact they may be producing the Kings/Knights series is surprising to me as well (unless they decide to simulcast a U.S. feed on CBC). Thought they might want to produce the Preds series instead.

There are three versions of Sportsnet, the main SN service, SN One, and SN 360 in addition to CBC, should Rogers need to make room for the Blue Jays, they also have CITY and FX Canada at their disposal. Heck, NBC is putting games of Golf Channel as to not bump Real Housewives of... for crying out loud.

Consider Bravo’s content and who that channel is aimed towards.

In 1968 NBC's Switchboard exploded when little girls thought Heidi would not air on time because an AFL game was running late, just imagine what would happen to NBC's switchboard today should a bunch of pissed off middle aged women called to bitch about Real Housewives being preempted.

You begin to wonder why NBC or the NHL hasn't considered doing a sub-license or something to get a secondary cable broadcaster, like how it is in the NBA with ESPN and TNT.

Given that they have the majority of the league's regional contracts, surely giving FS1 a small game of the week package that includes one or two early-round playoff series could work?

You begin to wonder why NBC or the NHL hasn't considered doing a sub-license or something to get a secondary cable broadcaster, like how it is in the NBA with ESPN and TNT.

I actually just read a recent article saying that the NHL was considering doing just that and that ESPN would be interested in bidding on it.

I actually just read a recent article saying that the NHL was considering doing just that and that ESPN would be interested in bidding on it.

Especially considering that ESPN will soon be home of those regional contacts once they take over the Fox Sports Regional Networks. I'm surprised they didn't just sell them a game this time around, frankly it wouldn't be unprecedented either, in 2014 (before the Rogers-NHL deal and before the 5 channels era), TSN sold Sportsnet one game to air due to a scheduling conflict - it ran on 360.

Even before then, when Sportsnet sold the Sunday Night Baseball contract to TSN but would still air the odd game if there was no room on TSN/TSN2.

Devils-Lightning game on NHL Network is using the feed from Fox Sports Sun.

Blue Jackets-Capitals on USA is using the feed from NBC Sports Washington

Devils-Lightning on Sportsnet is also using the Fox Sports feed and have sourced their Blue Jackets/Caps game feed from USA Network (so, we're also getting NBC Sports Washington) for 360.

nbcswonusaonsn360.thumb.jpg.1f60eebee5a1c509b0836d6194e15f2b.jpg

Yesterday they produced their own coverage of Flyers/Pens and Kings/Golden Knights for CBC. Sportsnet is airing the Minnesota/Winnipeg series in it's entirely (using its own feed) while CBC is airing the Leafs/Bruins (I assure you it's not a NESN/NBC feed).

I don't have access to NHL Network where NJD and TB are playing, yet, I do have FOX Sports Sun and they're carrying it.

So I do have access to all five games tonight (two on USA, two on NBCSN and one on FOX Sports Sun).

The Sharks-Ducks game on USA is the feed from NBC Sports California. Here in the USA, 7 of the 8 Game One's have been produced by NBC in some complicity with only the Devils-Lightning being produced by MSG+ (NJD) & Fox Sports Sun (TBL). I leads me to wonder whether we'll see a Sportsnet telecast on NBCU at any point in the first round as in previous years.

Archived