2018 March Madness

Spring Rubber

With the B1G Tournament being a week earlier this year, it has presented some interesting changes to CBS's presentation of coverage. Normally this would be a regular season weekend of coverage, so they'd use the standard CBS graphics with the standard CBS music.

In previous years, for conference tournament weekend, CBS would either:

A) Use the standard CBS graphics with standard CBS music.

B) Use the March Madness graphics with March Madness music (the Trevor Rabin remix of CBS's music commissioned in 2011 when Turner Sports partnered with CBS for the tourney).

Whether CBS chose option A or B would always change. IIRC, from 2011-2013 and 2016, they chose option A. In 2014-2015 and 2017, they chose option B. I believe option B is the standard since 2014, and the reason for option A occurring in 2016 is because there were new March Madness graphics and opens that season, and they desired to conceal those graphics until the NCAA tournament itself started; they didn't want to spoil the debut by using the graphics for the conference tourneys.

Now here in 2018, CBS has chosen...

Option C: Standard CBS graphics with Trevor Rabin's March Madness music (for game coverage) and the standard CBS music for studio coverage.

Forget fan made resyncs, CBS has resynced their own game coverage openers and sponsorship bumpers with the Trevor Rabin March Madness music for this weekend's B1G and MVC tourney coverage both on CBS and CBSSN. Yet, for whatever odd production decision, they are still using the standard CBS music for most studio coverage (although one studio segment last hour ended with the March Madness music instead).

I wonder what we'll see next weekend for the rest of the conference tournament coverage on CBS. Much of the same? Perhaps they'll switch to March Madness graphics to match the music?

Well, maybe the reason they're NOT using March Madness graphics right now is that maybe there's new March Madness graphics this year? Sure, the existing package has only been around for 2 years (compared to 5 years on the previous package), but the existing package has not been well-received, especially with the HUGE score bug. TBS revised their HUGE baseball graphics after only one season of use, so a change here wouldn't be unprecedented.

Also, during various promotional pieces for the tournament today, they have graphics that don't completely match anything used in previous years. The logos are familiar, but they are no longer surrounded by the giant orange basketball and blue circle with the network logo at the bottom.

LRvPylOr.jpg

lDaPOfCr.jpg

This is also the first March Madness where TBS has the full trio of Selection Show, Final Four, and National Championship game. So what do we think? Is a full new graphics package in store?

One change this weekend, studio coverage is now branded as Capital One Tournament Central and is also using the Trevor Rabin March Madness theme, however graphics are still CBS's package. They even made the Capital One Tournament Central logo fit into the CBS package.

I feel like either we're getting brand new March Madness graphics tomorrow, or maybe they'll just be using the CBS graphics (with different logos for each network) from now on? We'll have to find out what happens tomorrow.

IMG_20180310_141712884_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c57e6ae10265be35542aad9a4e7d6f1.jpg

One change this weekend, studio coverage is now branded as Capital One Tournament Central and is also using the Trevor Rabin March Madness theme, however graphics are still CBS's package. They even made the Capital One Tournament Central logo fit into the CBS package.

I feel like either we're getting brand new March Madness graphics tomorrow, or maybe they'll just be using the CBS graphics (with different logos for each network) from now on? We'll have to find out what happens tomorrow.

CBS has been using the “Capital One Tournament Central” name for the conference championship tourneys for the last few years now.

Saw the Houston-Cincinnati halftime show on CBS and noticed that the Atlanta studios got a big refresh. There’s a lot more space than before. It’s also more darker.

I think that might just be a studio for the Selection Show because there's a livestream that Turner is doing on the March Madness social media feeds right now that is originating from the studio that they do the Tip-Off and Inside March Madness shows. That's my guess. But who knows?

Audio and video majorly out of sync...it's beyond acceptable limits. It's horrible.

Yeah, graphics are the same. Only thing different is that the logos have been changed to remove the giant orange basketball logos that have been present since 2011.

Same thing for GMA, and back then NFL LIVE '85 on NBC, of which it reminds me of. I kinda dig the audience portion even though it can be hella pointless. Not like a hometown team is in the tourney, no?

Same thing for GMA, and back then NFL LIVE '85 on NBC, of which it reminds me of. I kinda dig the audience portion even though it can be hella pointless. Not like a hometown team is in the tourney, no?

TBS is trying to go big in their first year of hosting the Selection Show, Final Four, and National Championship. They want to make a grand spectacle of it.

Here's the thing, I think they should've left the selection show as it was, they tried a 2 hour format few hours back, it flopped big time.

I'm not sure what CBS/Turner is thinking but they're trying their best to make the 2 hour selection show work.

Same scoreboard graphic, same everything this year. The only real change is that they changed the opens to use the official March Madness logo, and they added some color to the bracket in the background.

The biggest surprise to me is that they waited until this year to make this change, even though this new March Madness logo debuted on the courts and in official NCAA uses in 2016 when CBS/Turner debuted the current graphics package. It would have made more sense for CBS/Turner to start using the logo at that point rather than using the orange basketball logo for 2016 and 2017.

New:

tFP24y8r.jpg

Old:

VW9Nkfwr.jpg

Same scoreboard graphic, same everything this year. The only real change is that they changed the opens to use the official March Madness logo, and they added some color to the bracket in the background.

The biggest surprise to me is that they waited until this year to make this change, even though this new March Madness logo debuted on the courts and in official NCAA uses in 2016 when CBS/Turner debuted the current graphics package. It would have made more sense for CBS/Turner to start using the logo at that point rather than using the orange basketball logo for 2016 and 2017.

New:

tFP24y8r.jpg

Old:

VW9Nkfwr.jpg

This graphics package is 2-going-on-3 years old. Makes no sense to get a facelift that soon, except for the few cosmetic changes already highlighted (the new logo, the colored bracket seeds in the background)

This graphics package is 2-going-on-3 years old. Makes no sense to get a facelift that soon, except for the few cosmetic changes already identified (the new logo, the colored bracket seeds in the background)

I was moreso thinking they should have changed the logo in 2016 when the NCAA changed theirs.

As for graphics packages, Turner did dump the 2010 graphics package in 2012 after only two seasons of use, so anything's possible.

I was moreso thinking they should have changed the logo in 2016 when the NCAA changed theirs.

As for graphics packages, Turner did dump the 2010 graphics package in 2012 after only two seasons of use, so anything's possible.

The 2011-2015 March Madness graphics were mainly based off the NBA on TNT graphics at the time.

The 2011-2015 March Madness graphics were mainly based off the NBA on TNT graphics at the time.

I should have added that I was talking about the 2010 NBA graphics package being dumped after 2 seasons of use. I forgot to say that.

Something seems to be wrong with the Inside March Madness opener. The opener itself has the correct music, but the built-in vamp that plays after the opener is the regular CBS music instead. Doesn't looks like it's going to be fixed this year.

Something seems to be wrong with the Inside March Madness opener. The opener itself has the correct music, but the built-in vamp that plays after the opener is the regular CBS music instead. Doesn't looks like it's going to be fixed this year.

I wonder if it's something with TruTV? I watched a few games on TruTV over the weekend and some were using the regular CBS music going into and out of breaks. I think IMM moves over to TBS this weekend, so maybe they'll fix it then.

I wonder if it's something with TruTV? I watched a few games on TruTV over the weekend and some were using the regular CBS music going into and out of breaks. I think IMM moves over to TBS this weekend, so maybe they'll fix it then.

I think they probably sent out the wrong music cue to the trucks, or maybe the game producer came from CBS and decided to use the CBS-NCAA regular season music and not the proper one for whatever reason (preference, other reasoning).

Could even be a management reasoning, they may want to phase out the Tervor Rabin-produced theme for the CBS track. Try it out here and there and next year, different music.

Archived