Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

The Frog

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are also saying WPXI has no chance of becoming an NBC O&O? I think it has more chance of becoming and NBC Owned Station then going to Nexstar ,Tenga ,or Scripps.

Especially since Pittsburgh already has KDKA, a CBS O&O....and that's what matters since the Steelers are an AFC team.

Just realized - FOX has a way better out in Seattle now.

They could just buy KIRO if they wanted to, get a major station upgrade, and say the Hell with the Sinclair / Trib drama and get the presence they’ve wanted in the market for years...right now.

That reminds me: if Fox does buy KIRO 7 instead of KCPQ 13, then I am fine with that. If CBS--parent company of KSTW CW11--does buy KIRO 7 and the TMC-owned KCPQ 13 and KZJO 22 become new homes for CBS and The CW (with or without the need for TMC to sell Q13 and Joe TV to CBS), then I am fine with that as well. Sorry if I have gone too far.

I'd imagine WJXX's ratings rank behind WJXT and the "Action News Jax" duo. All they do is simulcast WTLV's news, and ABC has not had a particularly strong presence in Jacksonville since they were on channel 12.

WJXX is an also-ran of WTLV and has been since Gannett bought the station from Allbritton back in 2000. Yes, that Allbritton, which means had WJXX (which had more modern facilities than that of WTLV and a new news department to boot) stayed with Allbritton, then we would likely be seeing WJXX as a Sinclair station today.

But alas, First Coast News under TEGNA is a laggard behind Cox's duo and WJXT. I'm honestly shocked the station's news department hasn't been blown up ala WTSP to make it different. But I digress.

How deeply intertwined is BH Media with Graham? Isn’t WPLG for all intents and purposes an outright stand-alone?

That may be true in most respects, however, they still work closely with Graham on web platform/design and graphic design since WPLG got the latest Graham looks even after the BH Media purchase. I can only assume Graham still does have some say in day-to-day operations, even if it's a shared services agreement on the down low.

Especially since Pittsburgh already has KDKA, a CBS O&O....and that's what matters since the Steelers are an AFC team.

What is today’s CBS is the successor to Westinghouse Broadcasting, so KDKA-TV will always have a place of sentiment within the corporation. That the Steelers are in the AFC is but a bonus.

Of reasonable buyers, it would have only affected Nexstar and (I think) Tegna, but the latter is a longshot anyway due to messy overlaps.

And even then, Nexstar would have several conflicts (Memphis and Dayton are the only two that I could name off-hand that would be a conflict in a Nexstar-Cox merger)

And even then, Nexstar would have several conflicts (Memphis and Dayton are the only two that I could name off-hand that would be a conflict in a Nexstar-Cox merger)

Correct, those are the only two. For any of Hearst, Scripps, Meredith, Graham or Gray(com), the cap would not be a factor.

WJXX is an also-ran of WTLV and has been since Gannett bought the station from Allbritton back in 2000. Yes, that Allbritton, which means had WJXX (which had more modern facilities than that of WTLV and a new news department to boot) stayed with Allbritton, then we would likely be seeing WJXX as a Sinclair station today.

But alas, First Coast News under TEGNA is a laggard behind Cox's duo and WJXT. I'm honestly shocked the station's news department hasn't been blown up ala WTSP to make it different. But I digress.

That may be true in most respects, however, they still work closely with Graham on web platform/design and graphic design since WPLG got the latest Graham looks even after the BH Media purchase. I can only assume Graham still does have some say in day-to-day operations, even if it's a shared services agreement on the down low.

Looking back through (I wasn't sure for so long), I think the Jacksonville order is:

1) WJXT

2) WJAX

3) WTLV

4) WFOX

5) WJXX

If that is correct, I think WJAX and WFOX will need to remain as a shell-duopoly to maintain the status quo (the new owner can't legally acquire both stations). However, if Tegna were sold later, their duopoly can remain intact if the ratings remain as they are.

Looking back through (I wasn't sure for so long), I think the Jacksonville order is:

1) WJXT

2) WJAX

3) WTLV

4) WFOX

5) WJXX

If that is correct, I think WJAX and WFOX will need to remain as a shell-duopoly to maintain the status quo (the new owner can't legally acquire both stations). However, if Tegna were sold later, their duopoly can remain intact if the ratings remain as they are.

But then again with the Antitrust Division of the Justice Department the way it's been under Delham, don't be surprised if he orders the WFOX/WJAX duopoly to be broken up

So you are also saying WPXI has no chance of becoming an NBC O&O? I think it has more chance of becoming and NBC Owned Station then going to Nexstar ,Tenga ,or Scripps.

No chance.

If NBC (stupidly, I must add) sold their well-performing and strong O&Os in Columbus, Ohio and Raleigh, two top 30 markets, what makes you think that they’ll want a station in a bottom 20s market?

They even attempted to sell WTVJ and WVIT a few years ago.

NBC hasn’t bought an NBC station since 1995 when they picked up WJAR, WVTM, WNCN and WCMH from Outlet and later 2002 when it picked up KNTV. The only purchases they’ve been making have been for Telemundo.

No chance.

If NBC (stupidly, I must add) sold their well-performing and strong O&Os in Columbus, Ohio and Raleigh, two top 30 markets, what makes you think that they’ll want a station in a bottom 20s market?

NBC hasn’t bought an NBC station since 1995 when they picked up WJAR, WVTM, WNCN and WCMH from Outlet. The only purchases they’ve been making have been for Telemundo.

And the launch of NBC Boston, other than that that's all NBC has done so, you could say that NBC does not buy stations unless you are an affiliate of Telemundo in the larger markets that Telemundo doesn't own

No chance.

NBC hasn’t bought an NBC station since 1995 when they picked up WJAR, WVTM, WNCN and WCMH from Outlet and later 2002 when it picked up KNTV. The only purchases they’ve been making have been for Telemundo.

WNCN was never a strong station as an NBC O&O and affiliate, even though Media General nearly did run the station into near oblivion just a few years ago with their lineup heavy on Byron Allen court shows and barter programs.

Here's another thing....

If Cox goes away, so do the grandfathered ownership of newspapers and TV stations in Dayton and Atlanta.

How many will be left after Cox exits the TV station business?

As far as the grandfather status in both Atlanta and Dayton those are a non-issue since the NBCO rule was eliminated last year if, for example, Hearst wanted to acquire both newspapers in Atlanta and Dayton and WSB/WHIO they can do so no problem now that the NBCO rule is gone, if the FCC had kept the NBCO rule that would be an issue imo

Once Cox departs the TV station business it'll leave the Networks, Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, Hearst, Scripps, Meredith and a number of smaller groups (Hubbard, Griffin, Dispatch, Sunbeam, etc.)

Mid 20's market. Pittsburgh is ranked 24th in the DMA rankings that were released earlier this year.

Still in shock about the news, but I would have love to see a Cox-Scripps merger where Cox's name stood out the most. That always been my wishful scenario.

I just could never see WSB/WHIO under somebody different. If Sinclair touches WSB-TV. I just want the world to end.

ABC said they were looking as well too that was a few years ago and Mickey Mouse still owns those stations. I do hope that Cox takes another look, and that this deal still stays in Coxs hands.

As far as the grandfather status in both Atlanta and Dayton those are a non-issue since the NBCO rule was eliminated last year if, for example, Hearst wanted to acquire both newspapers in Atlanta and Dayton and WSB/WHIO they can do so no problem now that the NBCO rule is gone, if the FCC had kept the NBCO rule that would be an issue imo

Once Cox departs the TV station business it'll leave the Networks, Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, Hearst, Scripps, Meredith and a number of smaller groups (Hubbard, Griffin, Dispatch, Sunbeam, etc.)

My point was that these legacy combinations would disappear, and no such combination that stemmed from a newspaper founding a TV station would exist after Cox sells.

And some more of those groups will likely disappear in the next 2-5 years or less.

My point was that these legacy combinations would disappear, and no such combination that stemmed from a newspaper founding a TV station would exist after Cox sells.

The Spokesman-Review and KHQ.

It's all consolidating to the point where aside from the O&Os, we'll eventually have Sinclair, Nexstar, Tegna, Hearst, Gray, and Scripps. If you work for a station that isn't one of those companies, don't be surprised to see your station change hands in the next five years.

Okay it’s known I’m a fan of WBAL. But I have ask why is Hearst included in that list? They are relatively small compared to the others and aside from going private they haven’t done much nice then. They’re the only one that hasn’t acquired a significant amount (more than the two recent ones) nor have merged. No one thought Cox would do this so what would stop Hearst?

Archived