Hurricane Florence

GoldenShine9

Oh that’s the reason for the whiteboard. I thought it was a different situation.

They're using the whiteboard because they recognize that, even if they could get leniency on captioning not being available, it's imperative that the information be presented visually as well.

LghLXd8.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCNC's streaming coverage is, I assume, online only. There are three people on, but they're all off-screen, with the video only being of the radar loop. None of them are talking in an "on-air" cadence, hence my thinking that they're online only.

https://www.wcnc.com/video/news/live_breaking/continuing-coverage-florence-moves-through-carolinas/275-1826991

1:02 - It looks like WWAY took cover for a tornado warning; I'm not hearing any audio on the stream right now (watching via All Access with my browser location switched to near Wilmington), and the screen just turned black after some on-air tech wandered onto the set to check something behind the chroma (tickers are still on, and the automation kicked in for the weekly EAS test).

1:06 - Radar is back on, audio is cutting in and out with really loud mechanical noises. It looks like the black period was a power cut while a generator may have kicked in.

1:08 - They're in a safe place telling us what's going on (confirmed touchdown near Leland; in the engineering workroom). Water is starting to gush into the studio, and a Shop-Vac is whirring behind and buckets are being deployed while behind-the-scenes staff is scrambling to contain it.

[MEDIA=twitter]1041191969056276480[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]1041191822461214720[/MEDIA]

1:26 - We're back in the studio during a mic battery change for the mets; they're on the daytime couch set, no background screens on. A high cam is showing lots of scrambling going on to clean up on the regular side of the set; the water looks like it came right near the monitor array.

1:46 - Current setup; a few minutes before a bright LED light was washing everyone with bright white light. They are literally having BTS folks work around everyone.

IMG_0515.png.fa3178b3b015d93214f998a28987e3b4.png

1:53 - Another possible evacuation for a tornado warning south of Myrtle Grove SE of central Wilmington. Everyone jumped off the couch right away, but they're not headed back to shelter yet as they watch radar.

2:09 - Warning called off, so they're staying in-studio.

Sounds like a tornado hit the WWAY studio area. They are investigating for damage now.

Where is WWAY in relation to WECT? Gannon Medwick and the other meteorologist with him were monitoring a possible tornado/strong indication of rotation near their studio and they told their staff to get to a safe place.

Where is WWAY in relation to WECT? Gannon Medwick and the other meteorologist with him were monitoring a possible tornado/strong indication of rotation near their studio and they told their staff to get to a safe place.

WWAY is in Leland, so they likely had the direct hit.

Oh that’s the reason for the whiteboard. I thought it was a different situation.

LghLXd8.jpg

I hate to tell WECT, but if they're going the whiteboard route, they need to write their messages *much* clearer. I know they have a chaotic situation but viewers need the clearest information they can get in a situation like this. Three cheers for their ingenuity, though.

They're using the whiteboard because they recognize that, even if they could get leniency on captioning not being available, it's imperative that the information be presented visually as well.

This CommLawBlog piece does a good job of explaining the accessibility requirements for stations in light of an emergency. Notably:

Hence why all of the Governors' shots had the interpreter alongside them...although that's more for getting the message out instead of a regulatory requirement....

WCTI started producing their newscasts with the aid of WPEC's satellite truck today. Graphics and other elements are being inserted elsewhere, and the feed going to the WCTI transmitter is a straight simulcast of WPDE aside from the local newscasts.

A brief special report done on Friday at 4PM which I assumed was timed for the 4PM newscast affiliates.

Al sounded very exhausted. Which studio were the video walls he was using located in? I’m guessing 1A or 3C.

Also, first time seeing Lester without glasses in almost a decade.

Al sounded very exhausted. Which studio were the video walls he was using located in? I’m guessing 1A or 3C.

Also, first time seeing Lester without glasses in almost a decade.

1A is the only one with a curved video wall. 3K has the large tower but also those alcove U shaped ones.

Is WCTI doing any local inserts of their own or are they straight up broadcasting WPDE?

Normally this would be a syndex issue but I'm sure it's temporary until WCTI is able to resume their own programming....

Straight up rebroadcast. Saw a WPDE talent ID run before Steve started.

I really can’t believe that WNCT, WITN, and now knowing they aren’t, WPDE, aren’t doing wall to wall coverage with the amount of corporate resources they have available. Both markets are half underwater and the water is only rising.

WRAL and WTVD are wall-to-wall coverage all day.

WWAY, and soon WECT/WSFX, are currently/soon to be off-the-air while they await diesel fuel for their transmitter generators. They’re working with state and federal officials to make it happen.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2018/09/17/wway-off-the-air-still-streaming-news-online-other-wilmington-stations-to-follow/

Sunrise Broadcasting’s Jammin’ 99.9 and Sunny 103.7 are in the same area and have been off for a couple days. Fuel ran out and they have no road access to the site. They are near Funston and 133 a bit east of the WWAY/etc site.

Archived