Hurricane Florence

GoldenShine9

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='mrschimpf']Lindsay Slater from WISN went to WJCL in Savannah, and I'm sure she is far from the only Hearster that's helping them out this week.[/QUOTE] I wonder if it’s NBC Hearst affiliates appearing on other HTV NBC affiliates and the same for ABC. I haven’t seen the WCVB person on WBAL or others. Maybe it has to do with rights - packages they may cut include footage from the network that would be embargoed on other networks. [B]Update: [/B]@mre29 pointed out that Meteorologist AJ Barnett from WCVB has appeared on WYFF and WXII. [quote name='mre29']Problem there is that AJ Burnett is from WCVB, an ABC affiliate, but is appearing on NBC affiliates (WXII and WYFF) during this coverage.[/QUOTE]

Could it be possible to relocate to another ABC affiliate or a station they share resources with?

Still wouldn't get them closer than WUSA. WRIC is a sister of WAVY, so that doesn't help them in Richmond.

I'd be curious to see if Gray stations help out Raycom stations before the purchase here by sending reporters or crews? Gray has only one station in the direct path (and a few in the fringes), while Raycom has at least 5 stations facing a direct hit along with more nearby.

I already mentioned that Mariel Ruiz and Erika Ferrando from KTHV in Little Rock is in Charlotte assisting with WCNC on their coverage of Florence.

[MEDIA=twitter]1040032310446444545[/MEDIA]

And Kevin Harned from WAVE 3 is in Columbia, SC helping out with WIS-TV's coverage.

[MEDIA=twitter]1040167590428110848[/MEDIA]

I wonder if it’s NBC Hearst affiliates appearing on other HTV NBC affiliates and the same for ABC. I haven’t seen the WCVB person on WBAL or others. Maybe it has to do with rights - packages they may cut include footage from the network that would be embargoed on other networks.

Problem there is that AJ Burnett is from WCVB, an ABC affiliate, but is appearing on NBC affiliates (WXII and WYFF) during this coverage.

KUSA/KTVD has sent Eddie Randle to North Carolina. I Saw him late this morning on CNBC's Power Lunch giving a brief report along side Morgan Brennan & I just saw him on the NOON newscast. I Would assume he has been appearing on WFMY & WLTX.

Problem there is that AJ Burnett is from WCVB, an ABC affiliate, but is appearing on NBC affiliates (WXII and WYFF) during this coverage.

Ah, I didn’t see him at the time yesterday. Maybe I skimmed over it for familiar faces. Thanks for correcting me :).

And a Storm Ranger has been deployed off of SR 264 maybe around mile from the beach (probably to protect it from any storm surge) east of Norfolk, VA and NE of NTU (Naval Air Station Oceana). It’s already picking up the outerbands.

15cb2d91-a3a2-4667-a411-2160db9de2e7-png.6487

Edit: Hearst in the past has simulcast stations from the hurricane zones in their subchannels. I wonder if they’ll be doing that this time around.

WITN and WNCT are in no danger of flooding. WITN’s new studio in Greenville is up a hill from the nearest creek. WCTI is in New Bern but still not near the river, really. I don’t think they’d have a problem

I listen to WKXB/Jammin’ 99.9 and they expressed plans to be on the air with updates. If anything all the Sunrise stations may simulcast together, but I doubt they’ll just broadcast TV audio unless it becomes necessary.

I was wrong about WCTI, not sure what I was thinking. They are not far from the river and I just heard they have water knocking on the door.

The Sunrise Broadcasting stations in Wilmington are all simulcasting together hosting from Z107.5's studio, alternating between taking calls from listeners in the region and audio from WRAL news. Cumulus stations are simulcasting together as well.

I'm guessing the WCTI news crew are heading to WPDE as soon as it is safe to do so?

That'd be going toward the storm, not away from it. They could conceivably go to Raleigh for shelter, but their ability to work out of WLFL/WRDC might be limited by equipment there.

That'd be going toward the storm, not away from it. They could conceivably go to Raleigh for shelter, but their ability to work out of WLFL/WRDC might be limited by equipment there.

They could go the long way around towards I-95 then come back in. The storm is moving only about 5 mph right now, and the bands shouldn't reach Conway for several more hours at least.

They may be better off going to WTVD since WTVD does handle WLFL's news production, and besides, they're both ABC stations.

As a note, this article on preparations says that Sinclair was starting a live feed from WJLA that, in the event of an evacuation like this one, could be used to sustain a station being evacuated, in addition to being streamed online. The piece describes some of the contingencies for the larger station chains and a couple others.

As a note, this article on preparations says that Sinclair was starting a live feed from WJLA that, in the event of an evacuation like this one, could be used to sustain a station being evacuated, in addition to being streamed online. The piece describes some of the contingencies for the larger station chains and a couple others.

Interesting to read WWAY's plan and pushing as hard as possible to stay on. They are pretty much on their own if something ever happened, although flooding shouldn't be an issue for them. WTVD might be their best backup, being both ABC stations with no sister stations anywhere near.

Interesting to read WWAY's plan and pushing as hard as possible to stay on. They are pretty much on their own if something ever happened, although flooding shouldn't be an issue for them. WTVD might be their best backup, being both ABC stations with no sister stations anywhere near.

Or WNCN since they're both CBS stations too. Besides, I wouldn't be shocked if later on, they became sister stations.

WLFL shares their building with the Raleigh office of Curtis Media Group, so at the very bare minimum, someone could set a camera up in the WPTF-AM studio. When Irene hit the Triangle back in 2011, WPTF and their sister stations ran coverage 24/7, WTKK (the other righty talker in Raleigh) couldn't be bothered to break away from infomercials and a weekend best-of for Rush.

Archived