Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Harry doing some more Nexstar/Mission stanning about WADL this morning. Unlike Harry Styles though, the broadcasting industry is no longer 'as it was'.

Come on man, this is the worst station in Detroit outside the HC2 signals that seem to exist to give electric companies dependable cash for nothing. It'll still be the worst station in Detroit under Nexstar/Mission, AND we all forget that they won't have carriage on DirecTV once their current Adell contract ends because Mission's RTC people think they can charge a fortune for a CW+ or Foxnet schedule. Kevin Adell, Perry Sook, and Nancie Smith all deserve what they've reaped here.

Basically we still have ownership rules because of companies like Sinclair and Nexstar.  We still have ownership rules because companies not only try and game the rules to get more stations, but to use the stations in the pursuit of excess profit for the company and the benefit for the company of reaching more people to spread "their" content.  Sell the airwaves to the highest bidder and give their cronies the mic to spread the word.

It's a little more complicated than that, but this is TV ownership in a nutshell these days.  The only way it will change is when the system breaks and viewers can no longer get the essential information they need because the companies have sold out to the point they can no longer afford to keep the lights on.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Basically we still have ownership rules because of companies like Sinclair and Nexstar.  We still have ownership rules because companies not only try and game the rules to get more stations, but to use the stations in the pursuit of excess profit for the company and the benefit for the company of reaching more people to spread "their" content.  Sell the airwaves to the highest bidder and give their cronies the mic to spread the word.

It's a little more complicated than that, but this is TV ownership in a nutshell these days.  The only way it will change is when the system breaks and viewers can no longer get the essential information they need because the companies have sold out to the point they can no longer afford to keep the lights on.

What is excess profit? Corporations are in businesses to provide value to shareholders. Persistent growth is the objective. There is no such thing as excess profit.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

What is excess profit? Corporations are in businesses to provide value to shareholders. Persistent growth is the objective. There is no such thing as excess profit.

All the while the customers are being invisibly gouged with an inferior product and the employees who keep things running are overworked and underpaid.

Reinvest in the product and the employees a little more...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

All the while the customers are being invisibly gouged with an inferior product and the employees who keep things running are overworked and underpaid.

They aren't and they won't. And it's why linear television is a dying industry, the so-called "golden goose" was killed off by the likes of Perry Sook, David Smith and Hilton Howell.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This is Vulture Capitalism for you.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It'll still be the worst station in Detroit under Nexstar/Mission, AND we all forget that they won't have carriage on DirecTV once their current Adell contract ends because Mission's RTC people think they can charge a fortune for a CW+ or Foxnet schedule. Kevin Adell, Perry Sook, and Nancie Smith all deserve what they've reaped here.

Since the deal is dead, Mission won't be involved at all. Adell may cut an LMA with Nexstar. At that point, it will still be the worst station in Detroit, both operationally and programming-wise, but Adell will continue to do the RTC deals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Since the deal is dead, Mission won't be involved at all. Adell may cut an LMA with Nexstar. At that point, it will still be the worst station in Detroit, both operationally and programming-wise, but Adell will continue to do the RTC deals.

That would be an ironic end-around, since Nexstar would basically be doing what the FCC severely restricted them from doing had the station been transferred to Mission.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Why would Nexstar want to do business with that moron? An LMA or TBA would be totally impossible for the same exact reason why the FCC killed off the SSA Nexstar tried to engineer with Mission ... before Kevin Adell acted like a petulant little child, of course.

Let's face facts. The CW is going to wind up with no affiliates in Detroit, Miami and Tucson come September 1, and Miami in particular was because Perry Sook was greedy AND stupid and sold off markets he never should have just to keep triopolies or quadolopies in Little Rock and Youngstown or massive Vs like WJW. He deserves this.

Edited by Rusty Muck

Honestly, What the heck is going on here?

Adell and WADL is not gonna make an LMA with Nexstar or Mission. At this point, it should've just made an deal with Sinclair and made it an day. 

Look, The CW will have an affiliate in Detroit, Miami and Tuscon, no matter the cost. WDIV already kinda cleared the way by dropping ThisTV and putting on CoziTV, probably and possibly as an substitute before September 1. 

I don't know about any of the Tuscon or Miami stations plans on the CW. 

And just for the whole Perry Sook case, I would rather have him own WDAF-TV and the St. Louis Duopoly of KTVI-KPLR than let Sinclair even have its hands on the stations, because at least with Nexstar, none of the stations are bankrupt or at least went near-bankrupt, or shuted down any of the news departments, but Sinclair did all of that and more. I mean, SINCLAIR could've killed off KSMO-TV for all it took, and it lost the chance of the CW because of that and was only saved because KCTV5 and the MEREDITH CORPORATION MADE AN DEAL TO AQUIRE KSMO. And for KDNL..... Do I have to explain it to y'all? Google it. 

Holy WTOK, I'm losing brain cells.

(Sorry if it went off-topic kinda quick, I just had to rant)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rusty Muck said:

Why would Nexstar want to do business with that moron? An LMA or TBA would be totally impossible for the same exact reason why the FCC killed off the SSA Nexstar tried to engineer with Mission ... before Kevin Adell acted like a petulant little child, of course.

Let's face facts. The CW is going to wind up with no affiliates in Detroit, Miami and Tucson come September 1, and Miami in particular was because Perry Sook was greedy AND stupid and sold off markets he never should have just to keep triopolies or quadolopies in Little Rock and Youngstown or massive Vs like WJW. He deserves this.

Good old Detroit.  Where desperate networks try and re-affiliate at the last possible second. 

At least CBS was able to buy WGPR at the 11th hour to christen into WWJ-TV.  Perry Sook should try that with......oh wait.......

At this rate, the only way to get the CW in the market is to try and convince the pay TV systems to bundle in the CW+ feed into carrying NewsNation 🤣.

Nexstar could always start a streaming platform with their local stations and open it up to other owners..... 

Like Zeam, NewsOn, and what Sinclair tried so miserably with Stirr....

But we're all waiting for 1994 to repeat itself again, likely without a happy ending because Uncle Perry won't budge.....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

WDIV already kinda cleared the way by dropping ThisTV and putting on CoziTV, probably and possibly as an substitute before September 1. 

This TV is winding down operations anyway, so it's not immediately reflective of anything. And there's zero guarantee that it'll wind up on a WDIV sub because that would imply that Graham is going to try to build a program inventory around it when there are no programs available. Has anyone seen how horrid WMYD's lineup is? Or WKBD's lineup?

I don't know about any of the Tuscon or Miami stations plans on the CW.

No options exist in either market. Sunbeam isn't going to create a new WSVN subchannel for it nor will WPLG (which is Berkshire Hathaway's only television station). Old Mother Hubbard doesn't have to tell you that the cupboards are bare this time.

Look, The CW will have an affiliate in Detroit, Miami and Tuscon, no matter the cost.

They won't. Any realistic analysis on the matter will tell you that Nexstar and the CW are incredibly screwed here and, like Nexstar assuredly set to lose WPIX for good thanks to their Mission chicanery, it is solely on themselves for poor past decisions and zero forward thinking.

Edited by Rusty Muck

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Couldn't Adell sell WADL to Graham? Or is Detroit already maxed out on duopolies?

Why in the wide wide world of sports would Graham ever want to do business with that unprofessional, value destructive clown? Or anyone else?!?

WADL is going to wind up sold by creditors in a bankruptcy auction to a Godcaster like Daystar or TCT. If they're lucky enough.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

This TV is winding down operations anyway, so it's not immediately reflective of anything. And there's zero guarantee that it'll wind up on a WDIV sub because that would imply that Graham is going to try to build a program inventory around it when there are no programs available. Has anyone seen how horrid WMYD's lineup is? Or WKBD's lineup?

No options exist in either market. Sunbeam isn't going to create a new WSVN subchannel for it nor will WPLG (which is Berkshire Hathaway's only television station). Old Mother Hubbard doesn't have to tell you that the cupboards are bare this time.

They won't. Any realistic analysis on the matter will tell you that Nexstar and the CW are incredibly screwed here and, like Nexstar assuredly set to lose WPIX for good thanks to their Mission chicanery, it is solely on themselves for poor past decisions and zero forward thinking.

*Ahem*

No one in the right world will ever put The CW Plus, IN A TOP 25 MARKET, NOT EVEN NEXSTAR would put in NewsNation. This is not WGN-TV in the Mid-1990s with the WB.

27 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Couldn't Adell sell WADL to Graham? Or is Detroit already maxed out on duopolies?

That's an idea, that can work...

22 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

Why in the wide wide world of sports would Graham ever want to do business with that unprofessional, value destructive clown? Or anyone else?!?

WADL is going to wind up sold by creditors in a bankruptcy auction to a Godcaster like Daystar or TCT. If they're lucky enough.

Why would Graham not help with the CW in Detroit??? So they do that own the CW station in Jacksonville, Florida? (WCWJ, the former WJKS, Channel 17)

I also don't think even Daystar, or the Tri State Christian Television (TCT) would even focus on WADL-TV. No-one, chances are, he's gonna probably shut the station down, for all it takes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

No one in the right world will ever put The CW Plus, IN A TOP 25 MARKET, NOT EVEN NEXSTAR would put in NewsNation. This is not WGN-TV in the Mid-1990s with the WB.

This is a timely reminder that no one is obligated to affiliate with the CW in Detroit. WDIV has every right to say no if they do not see a return on investment for creating a brand new station (a WDIV sub) and spend a lot to buy bottom-barrel programming for the other 22 hours of the day.

Nexstar is going to have no other choice but to hastily pipe in the CW+ in these cable systems, who have no obligation to do so.

1 hour ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Why would Graham not help with the CW in Detroit??? So they do that own the CW station in Jacksonville, Florida? (WCWJ, the former WJKS, Channel 17)

You forgot that Kevin Adell is fucking insane and willingly blew up a $75 million deal with Nexstar (Mission).

If you think a reputable broadcaster is going to want to do business with someone who cannot write in proper English and torch all bridges with napalm, then go ahead and wave that magic wand, see where it gets you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

.You forgot that Kevin Adell is fucking insane and willingly blew up a $75 million deal with Nexstar (Mission).

If you think a reputable broadcaster is going to want to do business with someone who cannot write in proper English and torch all bridges with napalm, then go ahead and wave that magic wand, see where it gets you.

Oh yea, I forgot that how dumb Kevin the idiot Adell is. I don't think an reputable broadcaster would want to do anything, I'm not doing anything to an magic wand, I'm just saying that Adell should've shutted it down since he did nothing to help that station, including destroying an $75 million deal. 

This is a timely reminder that no one is obligated to affiliate with the CW in Detroit. WDIV has every right to say no if they do not see a return on investment for creating a brand new station (a WDIV sub) and spend a lot to buy bottom-barrel programming for the other 22 hours of the day.

The most viable option is WDIV. Which is not going to work that well, I suppose thinking about it. Even if they put it on their .2 subchannel.

Nexstar is going to have no other choice but to hastily pipe in the CW+ in these cable systems, who have no obligation to do so.

The CW loses coverage in Detroit. *Womp Womp*

Congrats Nexstar, You have no shame causing this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

The most viable option is WDIV. Which is not going to work that well, I suppose thinking about it. Even if they put it on their .2 subchannel.

Please explain to me how Graham is going to magically come up with 22 hours of programming a day when syndication in that market has been stretched insanely thin among all the stations. It doesn't take a MENSA member to see them taking a hard pass on creating another subchannel for the CW.

10 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

The CW loses coverage in Detroit. *Womp Womp*

Congrats Nexstar, You have no shame causing this.

And is this a bad thing?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

Please explain to me how Graham is going to magically come up with 22 hours of programming a day when syndication in that market has been stretched insanely thin among all the stations. It doesn't take a MENSA member to see them taking a hard pass on creating another subchannel for the CW.

If Graham is "blessed" with the CW affiliation in Detroit, they'll probably be forced to give it the KOMO treatment.  Just keep whatever subchannel programming and they already have and blow out primetime for the 2 hours of CW programming a night.  Once they pick up some Andy Griffith reruns to throw in here and there (or any other programs)....voila!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 3:19 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

If Graham is "blessed" with the CW affiliation in Detroit, they'll probably be forced to give it the KOMO treatment.  Just keep whatever subchannel programming and they already have and blow out primetime for the 2 hours of CW programming a night.  Once they pick up some Andy Griffith reruns to throw in here and there (or any other programs)....voila!

Exactly. Graham is going to put it in the CoziTV Channel (WDIV-TV 4.2) 

On 5/30/2024 at 11:38 PM, Rusty Muck said:

And is this a bad thing?

... Do I have to even explain? This community thinks Nexstar is the devil, Perry Sook should never have been hired at WOWK and WPXI, and other stuff.

And you literally say "And is this a bad thing?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? DID YOU NOT SEE THE WORDING ON THE WALL??? 

Like, Look. You and I are on the same page since we both live in Nexstar-Owned Fox Affiliates. (WJW and WDAF.) The only reason why Nexstar even aquired it is because both stations since the 1980s was aquired by multiple companies

For WJW: KKR, Gillett, SCI, New World.

For WDAF-TV: Taft, Great American/Citicasters, New World.

Both WJW and WDAF-TV: New World, Fox, LocalTV, Tribune [Almost SINCLAIR], and now Nexstar.

So yea, you hate Nexstar, that's why I said that, and please don't dare reply to me, okay?

Edited by mer764KCTV5
Clarification sakes.
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 2:14 PM, mer764KCTV5 said:

Exactly. Graham is going to put it in the CoziTV Channel (WDIV-TV 4.2) 

Scripps punted the CW to KNXV's Antenna TV sub and Nexstar couldn't wait to get out of there. There is no reason why Graham would stick it in the middle of a plug-and-play national diginet, nor any reason why Nexstar would accept such an offer in a top 20 market.

... Do I have to even explain? This community thinks Nexstar is the devil, Perry Sook should never have been hired at WOWK and WPXI, and other stuff.

And you literally say "And is this a bad thing?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? DID YOU NOT SEE THE WORDING ON THE WALL??? 

I am entitled to my opinion. And my opinion, BTW, is NOT that Nexstar is "the devil" (that I even have to explain this is utterly embarrassing). I view Nexstar as a cheap-as-hell company that bought out the competition because interest rates were non-existent. They still to this very day act like the small-market small-minded bush league operators of WYOU and WBRE in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Not an actual owner of a television network or of prestigious stations like KTLA or WGN.

It might actually surprise you to find out that there exists no mandate for a network to have an affiliate in every market. That does not exist. If no station in Detroit wants to affiliate with the CW, that's totally on them and it's because they saw it as something not worth pursuing. Welcome to the free market.

So yea, you hate Nexstar, that's why I said that, and please don't dare reply to me, okay?

I am replying to correct the record on things you said about me that are heretofore untrue, and I have every right to do so.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 3

It might actually surprise you to find out that there exists no mandate for a network to have an affiliate in every market. That does not exist. If no station in Detroit wants to affiliate with the CW, that's totally on them and it's because they saw it as something not worth pursuing. Welcome to the free market.

Spanish-language networks and some dignets have that all the time. Shoot Monterrey-Salians after KNTV dropped ABC and got merged into San Fran, Monterrey Bay was without ABC until KSBW got it in 2011. I think Glendive doesn’t have an affiliate. 

• Like 3

I am entitled to my opinion. And my opinion, BTW, is NOT that Nexstar is "the devil" (that I even have to explain this is utterly embarrassing). I view Nexstar as a cheap-as-hell company that bought out the competition because interest rates were non-existent. They still to this very day act like the small-market small-minded bush league operators of WYOU and WBRE in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Not an actual owner of a television network or of prestigious stations like KTLA or WGN.

I am replying to correct the record on things you said about me that are heretofore untrue, and I have every right to do so.

Okay? Mostly what I said was more of a rant because I don't understand the hate against Nexstar. I am sorry for some of the stuff I said and yes, you are entitled to your opinion. 

But no seriously, I don't think the FCC would waste time forcing cable providers to put the CW+ as part of the Must-carry rules. That's probably not the choice the FCC facing. I also don't think anyone (WBSF, WLAJ-DT2) is going to put an translator in the Detroit market (How would that work?) Mostly, I'm saying the more viable option is though WDIV-TV 4.2, it might not work, but it could work. 

Also, they only got into the larger markets around 2017-2019 with the Media General deal in 2017 and the Tribune Media deal in 2019 so that could be the reason. That or he's lazy.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 4:51 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

But we're all waiting for 1994 to repeat itself again, likely without a happy ending because Uncle Perry won't budge.....

Yeh no networks and markets are gonna go through that chaos for some low rated network to have some visibility. Shot Dignets like Bounce TV, Grit or other probably get better ratings then then. Tucson and Miami just won’t have affiliates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, GraphicsMan said:

Spanish-language networks and some dignets have that all the time. Shoot Monterrey-Salians after KNTV dropped ABC and got merged into San Fran, Monterrey Bay was without ABC until KSBW got it in 2011. I think Glendive doesn’t have an affiliate. 

Glendive relays on TV station in Billings for ABC, Fox (and MyNetworkTV) and The CW+ (That and PBS, but we're talking about Commercial stations.)

Even KXGN-TV has some newscasts from KTVQ (Q2) on 5.1 and KULR-TV on 5.2

Both KTVQ and KULR are in Billings.

8 minutes ago, GraphicsMan said:

Yeh no networks and markets are gonna go through that chaos for some low rated network to have some visibility. Shot Dignets like Bounce TV, Grit or other probably get better ratings then then. Tucson and Miami just won’t have affiliates.

The networks are probably more smarter than in 1994 surrounding ownership-induced affiliation swaps.

Edited by mer764KCTV5
Remove the Numbers for the Billings stations because the system doesn't like me trying to put the Channel number.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Glendive relays on TV station in Billings for ABC, Fox (and MyNetworkTV) and The CW+ (That and PBS, but we're talking about Commercial stations.)

Even KXGN-TV has some newscasts from KTVQ (Q2) on 5.1 and KULR-TV on 5.2

Both KTVQ and KULR are in Billings.

They’re relaying that means not in-market.